TUNA KILLER, Tattoo's Tackle Lures

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

I wanted to take this time to post up the incredible success we have had with our Tattoo's Tackle Sea Dogs and Sea Pups. These lures have been like crack for these brutes up in CC. They have taken many fish this year aboard my boats, and over the last 5 trips have accounted for 16 hookups and 4 dead BFT. The amount of near misses and boils is staggering as well, and have been the go to lure this season for me on my tuna hunts this year.

Mike Dauphin, the owner of Tattoo's Tackle is as hardcore as they come, and has been fishing aboard my boat several times this year. After getting hooked up through fishing, we have become good friends, and I needed to give him a big shout of thanks for contributing to the successes I have had this year. My gear has held up to numerous BFT this year, and I owe alot of my recent on fire results to guys like Mike, and TJ from OTI....now if Shimano would just sign on I'd be all set, LOL.

Here are a few pics from this past Sundays trip, where these lures were absolutely gang raped in every melee we threw them into, and we even had a giant in the 300 pound class grab a sea pup and head toward Portugal, but unfortunately the leader broke at the knot and it swam off not sure what that brief encounter with a mosquito was. Mike landed a demon 65 inch fish in 24 minutes, as the belly hook got lodged outside the mouth and fought fouled up the entire time. The rear hook slipped out of the corner of the mouth as we gaffed it, but the hooks on one point only held up at end game

If you guys are coming up here to battle these brutes, dont show up without a few of these lures in your bag of tricks....

View attachment 8069

View attachment 8070

View attachment 8071

View attachment 8072

View attachment 8073

View attachment 8074

View attachment 8075

Attached Files:

2. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

That looks like an awesome lure. It will definitely catch many tackle-hos. :D And big tunas.

3. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Dom: Where can I buy some of those? Also, can you give me an idea of how you work it?

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

badass gaff shots

5. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

You can contact Mike direct at 401-528-9524.

You can vary the action quite a bit to achieve different results, but the best method seems to be quick retrieve while quick popping with the rod tip straight up, it surges and skitters.

I have also walked the dog with a slow, twitching style method and it is killer as well. A start and stop retrieve with long pauses gets alot of looks when the fish are more subdued at the surface rolling rather than slashing.

That color in the pics is new, and was a hot color combination. My favorite is the herring pattern, with a blue/pink body, white belly and a small red dot under the chin.

6. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

badass gaff shots

Gotta save that meat, hit em in the HEAD!!!

My favorite part of the game, sinking the iron!

7. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Dom, do you prefer to run those naked without the split rings? Nice finish on them, and nice fish too! Love the sprawl at the end!

8. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Dom, do you prefer to run those naked without the split rings? Nice finish on them, and nice fish too! Love the sprawl at the end!

I run them both ways, Mike rigged those himself, and uses the loop.

I prefer the split ring setup for speed when changing lures, and the swivel helps combat twist, but the perfection loop gives the lure more side to side action when walking the dog.

9. Redfishon

Redfishon Senior Member

10. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Nothing like throwing wood to any fish. You can't beat its propperties. I turn my own, but believe me I got alot of ideas from studying Tattoos lures. Awesome pics and a great season.

11. Tattoo's Tackle

Tattoo's Tackle Junior member

John in CT,

Here is the write up we have on our website on how to work the Sea Dog.

"After the initial cast begin to retrieve the lure with short twitches of the rod to make the lure move in a zig-zag pattern. The ideal and most effective retrieve will be the slowest that will allow the lure to dance while continuing to keep in contact with the lure. Be patient as it may take a few casts to get your timing down on the retrieve. Often fish will strike the lure but not get hooked. If a fish attacks the plug and you do not connect or feel the weight of the fish, stop the retrieve. Allow the plug to remain motionless for 10 to 15 seconds. More often than not, the fish will restrike and inhale the plug as it sits there "stunned" from the initial attack. Imagine a baitfish being attacked by a bass from below; the bass will swat the bait with its tail to stun it. The bait will sit motionless on the surface and eventually start to try to swim away. It will swim for a few seconds and stop, swim for a few more seconds and stop until the stun has worn off, eventually trying desperately to swim away from the bass. Imitating this start and stop action after a strike will produce the best results. To do this, jerk the rod one time to get the lure to zig in one direction, pause several seconds, twitch the rod again to zag in the opposite direction and again wait a few seconds. This will mimic a struggling baitfish on the surface. It's kind of like a game of cat and mouse; the fish will attack the bait and stun it only to come back and pick up the easy target a few seconds later. "

Here's a video of the lure in action through it's development:
    http://www.tattoostackle.com/videos/TattoosTackleSeaDog.wmv

If you need help finding a shop that carries them, I'll be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

12. John_Madison CT

Sure thing. Any shops in CT?

Thanks,

John

13. Tattoo's Tackle

14. John_Madison CT

I was at Fisherman's World this past Tuesday but didn't see any.

I'll try Rivers End next week.

15. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

John, they don't have the Sea Dogs or Pups there(FW). They have a limited selection near the register. Eric

16. John_Madison CT

Tatoo: Help a brutha out. I want to get a couple of your lures but no local shop has them.

17. Tattoo's Tackle

John from CT-

Call me and I will make the world right. 401-528-9524

18. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey im having trouble finding them locally as well

19. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Attached Files:

20. Tattoo's Tackle