tuna jigging tecnique from pb

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by silky23, Jun 30, 2009.

1. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Hello, I'm going to give tuna jigging a go from a PB this year, just wondering what style of jigging some of you folks are using on them. Should I be ripping it through the water Japanese style or should I be yoyoing right in the column?

2. gman

gman Senior Member

In my experience tuna react better to a slower motion. If you use the jerk crank technique just slow it down and yo yo'ing ca be very effective as well. Which boat? Make sure to check policy on braid before you go

3. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

In my experience tua react better to a slower motion. If you use the jerk crank technique just slow it down and yo yo'ing ca be very effective as well. Which boat? Make sure to check policy on braid before you go

I really want to try the Sea Devil but they don't allow braid. I did start a thread on NJ offshore PB's. I've been out on the Miss Barnigate for bluefishing etc before and have never had a problem with that crew before, I talked to the Capt. 2 weeks ago and he'll allow me to use Braid so long as I stay away from the pack. I'm looking into the Voyager as well, never fished off of her though.

I've been building up a good jig portfolio as well focusing mainly on the 300-200gr jigs. I'm still a little confused on what shape jigs to use.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i like slower up/down motion.........which is also easier to stand there and do for an entire night without resting.

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

What is it with these party boats living in the past. I only have one reel that is not spooled with braid of some kind and its only for the nephews to catch perch...

6. gman

gman Senior Member

I really want to try the Sea Devil but they don't allow braid. I did start a thread on NJ offshore PB's. I've been out on the Miss Barnigate for bluefishing etc before and have never had a problem with that crew before, I talked to the Capt. 2 weeks ago and he'll allow me to use Braid so long as I stay away from the pack. I'm looking into the Voyager as well, never fished off of her though.

I've been building up a good jig portfolio as well focusing mainly on the 300-200gr jigs. I'm still a little confused on what shape jigs to use.

I would use a short fat style jig, dont know what you have. I havent had much luck with longer jigs

7. gman

gman Senior Member

What is it with these party boats living in the past. I only have one reel that is not spooled with braid of some kind and its only for the nephews to catch perch...

These boats cater to a NE chunking style, they will chunk with butterfish so with 35 guys all letting massive amounts of line out when someone ties into a fish its all tangles, adding braid into the mix just makes things ugly

Generally they frown upon using braid

8. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

These boats cater to a NE chunking style, they will chunk with butterfish so with 35 guys all letting massive amounts of line out when someone ties into a fish its all tangles, adding braid into the mix just makes things ugly

Generally they frown upon using braid

I have a decent mix of shimano flatsides, longs, a few keitans, and little of just about everything OTI has to offer.
    Please note, I'm not crazy about doing the party boat thing, I've had my fair share of blue/ striper fishing on PB's and I know how crazy folks get, especially when you're packed in there like a cattle car. I can only imagine what it's like when you're on a hot tuna bite in a PB, oh man!

9. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Please note, I'm not crazy about doing the party boat thing, I've had my fair share of blue/ striper fishing on PB's and I know how crazy folks get, especially when you're packed in there like a cattle car. I can only imagine what it's like when you're on a hot tuna bite in a PB, oh man!

Then you would enjoy the Sea Devil the most. ONLY 18 passengers MAX! Unlike the twice as many you'll will fine packed like a cattle car on the Jamaica! As I've said, don't worry about the braid for party boat jigging! Everyone is so quick to forget how people jigging with mono caught plenty of tuna just the same before spectra was available. All you need is 6, 8, and 10oz hammered diamonds and you're set. Then yo-yo away! Capt. Bob runs a tight ship. For reckless, careless people, they would HATE the boat. For reasonable, respectful people, we can easily abide by rules that are set for good reason! It's very enjoyable when you can sleep in a CLEAN bunkroom on the ride in, use a microwave that looks brand new, have fresh water available to use the whole trip, take a shower on the ride in if you wish (ladies head), sit on clean comfortable dinette seating in the cabin, etc, etc, etc...

10. gman

gman Senior Member

I have a decent mix of shimano flatsides, longs, a few keitans, and little of just about everything OTI has to offer.

flatsides are tuna candy

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you are not sure what jigs you use for tuna on party boats, Just use 8 oz hammered diamond jigs. Shimano flat side jig, 220g Sevenseas Hookers, 200g Yozuri Metallic Sardine jigs, Hots 230g/280g Drift Tune or Fisherman's Andaman jigs are proven jigs.

You catch tuna on jigs whether you jig slow or fast. They have variety of appetite. A fisherman I know claimed he could outfish anyone on a party boat by using Japanese style fast cranking technique with long jigs.
    The problem of fishing on the East Coast is bites are far in between unlike in Gulf Coast. I ususally jig over 10 hour non-stop and the average bites on jigs are 3 - 5 at most when fishing is good.
    There are many nights you get skunked even you jig all night. That is one of reasons Japanese style jigging for tuna is not popular on the East Coast party boats. Physically it is very hard to do it.

The keys fo success on tuna party boats on the East Coast are as follows in my opinion.

1. fish away from crowd
    2. use heavy lines ( 80 lbs braided and 80 - 100 lbs mono)
    3. use heavy drag ( 20 - 25 lbs)
    4. jig long hours. don't give up even you don't get any bite while bait fishermen are catching them.

12. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

only time i have ever hooked yellowfin(ony 3 trips on my belt) is when I casted the jig out, and yo-yoed it back to the boat while it was falling.. and once it was straght up and down i would jig it fast to the boat to catch blackfin. win win combination ;) except for the darn cuda that would take half the bft!!!!

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you want blackfin, speed jig. if you want yellowfin, slow it down :)

i used to jig with mono as well but there are reasons i switched. same with using old penn senators for jigging and now i use trinidads, saltigas, etc. if it woks for you then you dont NEED to switch.

14. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

but bret your muscle are so big

15. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

aww man crush ahoy hahahaha :p ;)

16. deadsea

deadsea Member

Kil, sent you a PM