360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
this past season i started jigging for tuna here in the north east. i caught a bunch of yellowfin and had a couple of bluefiin. The rod i was using is a 5'8'' saber stroker rod sc655xxh-ar rated 40-100lb test. i loved fighting fish on this rod but jigging with it did get tiring because it is heavy with my 16 vsx. in the next year or two im going to get a new reel but in the mean time im am looking for a rod. the rod i have now is set up for standup fishing as that is what it was used for previously. it has roller guides and a very log foregrip. what i was wondering was if any of you were familiar with this rod and could tell me of a lighter rod with similar action. i was also wondering if anyone knew where i could get one of these blanks and mabey i would have it custom built with different and lighter components. thankyou very much,
Bobby

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
Bobby.
thats a pretty heavy rod.
but i am sure i can match what you have using lighter componets.

some guys like to use what they like, so i wont try to talk you into something different,
but there are alot of other choices.

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply,
are you familiar with the blank, if so what other blanks are similar in action, one of the gusas, and oti, a jm power spell. i like to have a lot of power in the rod and normally jig with jigs between 5 oz and 10 oz

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
The complete Sabre rod you have weighs about 24 oz. It is pretty heavy, but you can manage it if you use light reels.

I still have Sabre rod similar to yours and it was my favorite tuna bait fishing rod long time ago.

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kil, of the seeker 60h 60xh and united composites 603, what rod do you recomend? the rod has to handle up to 30lbs of drag max mostly between 20-24lbs. the rod will be used to jig in the canyons for yellowfin and longfin, ranging anywherefrom 30-100=lbs. it also has to be able to stand up to a big wahoo a sword or a bigeye because anyof those are apossiility out there. finallyi will use the rod for jigging bluefin so anything up to 150+ lbsis possible. i normally jig with diamond jigs and alot of japanese style jigs in the 5to 10 oz range. thankyou very much
Bobby

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
kil, of the seeker 60h 60xh and united composites 603, what rod do you recomend? the rod has to handle up to 30lbs of drag max mostly between 20-24lbs. the rod will be used to jig in the canyons for yellowfin and longfin, ranging anywherefrom 30-100=lbs. it also has to be able to stand up to a big wahoo a sword or a bigeye because anyof those are apossiility out there. finallyi will use the rod for jigging bluefin so anything up to 150+ lbsis possible. i normally jig with diamond jigs and alot of japanese style jigs in the 5to 10 oz range. thankyou very much
Bobby

Seeker 60H/60XH are good rods for bait fishing, but the rod is not an excellent choice for jigging.
I don't recommend United Composite 603 as the blank is not strong enough.
There are better choices of jigging blanks.
The best jigging blanks Ifound among Seeker blanks are Superseeker Hercules blanks developed by Billy40 and Seeker rod designer.

Most blanks which can handle 25 lbs drag is good enough for canyon jigging.
For bluefin in Cape Cod, I like blanks which can handle upto 30 lbs as you'll see bluefin over 200 lbs next year.

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the super seeker hercules by billy 40 was the 60xh i thought?anyway does it work jigs well? and what reel would you put on it? i like areel that can handle around 500 yds of diawa boatbraid 100lb pe8 line, leverdrag, and 2-speed(i know alot of jig fishermen do not like 2-speeds but i like to know that it is there). i was thinking of the new hx raptor by avet as it is 29oz which is 12oz less than my 16vsx and there have been many big yellowfin caught on it so far on west coast.
thanks again
Bobby

·
105 Posts
Seeker 60H/60XH are good rods for bait fishing, but the rod is not an excellent choice for jigging. .

For those who aren't familiar with Seeker blank models, Kil is referring to the CTS 60H and CTS 60XH Black Steel blanks. The Hercules blanks which I designed and that Kil states are good for jigging (specifically for somoene looking for a faster action than an "Asian style" jigging blank/rod) are model numbers GTS 60H and GTS 60XH. These re made with teh same materials as the Super Seeker line, S Glass and graphite.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
I guess catching bluefin over 150lbs on a 603 doesnt count..IMO the UC 603 is a much better blank..Not to say the seeker isnt..
Seeker makes a nice blank but the 603 is better & nicer to fish overall ..I have fish them side by side both jig & bait from 20' to 800' of water..
The feel you get on a hook-up if great you feel every little head shake & feel much more connected to the fish than any other rod I have ever fished..
Like I said dont listen to internet hype go see for yourself....

·
105 Posts
Internet hype - if you want to go see why Kil doesn't think the 603 isn't strong enough you can go see it at his shop as the rod is in his rack in 2 pieces.

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
xxxxxxxxxx

·
Sponsors
244 Posts
The 603 is not in the same league as the Hercules 60H or 60XH. All rods break. I have 2 Hercules in my shop broken right now. Neither one of them on a fish.
I have sold over 50 Hercules rods from Billy and Seeker and both broken due to stupidity.

If you dont like the action on the blank that is one of preference and has zero to do with overall strength and durability. To say GUSA has the same durability as Seeker and has the technology that goes into a blank is just not true.

I have had 602 and 3's that were like grenades in the shop.
You all know me and no one pulls harder and is more abusive than I am. The 603 has something the Hercules doesnt - a bottom out point. You can pull on a Hercules and keep putting the heat on them without that oh crap moment happening.

As far as commercial fisherman using the rods, I have one in Florida fishing several 60H everyday on AJ and Grouper with a BX2-600 with 80#JBH hammering the drag on the rod and no complaints. He only fishes the Hercules now since he broke 3 of the 603's I gave him 2 years ago.

The only other blank in that class that I have felt that on was the Jigging Master blanks Kilsong had in my shop. They had no bottom.

Sensitivity and feel are subjective elements and have nothing to do with the rods performance. On a jig and bait rod those elements are so far secondary to whats important. The bite is not like you are bottom fishing and you need to feel every fart and hiccup that goes on with bottom fishing.

Lets not cloud the discussion with matters of subjectivity to matters of fact.

FACT: GUSA is not Seeker. Period.

John.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
The 603 is not in the same league as the Hercules 60H or 60XH. All rods break. I have 2 Hercules in my shop broken right now. Neither one of them on a fish.
I have sold over 50 Hercules rods from Billy and Seeker and both broken due to stupidity.

If you dont like the action on the blank that is one of preference and has zero to do with overall strength and durability. To say GUSA has the same durability as Seeker and has the technology that goes into a blank is just not true.

I have had 602 and 3's that were like grenades in the shop.
You all know me and no one pulls harder and is more abusive than I am. The 603 has something the Hercules doesnt - a bottom out point. You can pull on a Hercules and keep putting the heat on them without that oh crap moment happening.

As far as commercial fisherman using the rods, I have one in Florida fishing several 60H everyday on AJ and Grouper with a BX2-600 with 80#JBH hammering the drag on the rod and no complaints. He only fishes the Hercules now since he broke 3 of the 603's I gave him 2 years ago.

The only other blank in that class that I have felt that on was the Jigging Master blanks Kilsong had in my shop. They had no bottom.

Sensitivity and feel are subjective elements and have nothing to do with the rods performance. On a jig and bait rod those elements are so far secondary to whats important. The bite is not like you are bottom fishing and you need to feel every fart and hiccup that goes on with bottom fishing.

Lets not cloud the discussion with matters of subjectivity to matters of fact.

FACT: GUSA is not Seeker. Period.

John.
John,
as you know I have been testing many different rods for three decades.
Any rods can be broken. I am one of few guys who actually broke GUSA Wahoo rod. It happened when tuna charged while I was trying to release the fish and banged the fiberglass boatside.
When rods get broken for no apparent reason, I try to avoid the rods and
the rod I mentioned is one of them.
There are so many better rods out there and there is no reason to stick to the rod.

·
Sponsors
244 Posts
Kilsong - Agreed. The Jigging Master Blanks are one of those rods that WILL NOT FAIL. When I pulled on them I was nothing short of amazed at how they dont have a bottom end. You can pull as hard as you can with the confidence that the rod wont fail.

The Hercules and Super Seeker rods have that same quality. Very powerful and no bottom.

Why push something that we all agree have had major failures on them?

There are so many choices as you pointed out that make so much more sense. We are not talking about fluke or sea bass fishing but jigging Tuna fish or possibly bait fishing with the rod.

I want to fish with a product that I know will not fail.

John

·
53 Posts
Anything that came from gusa after the move to yuma was questionable when dick owned the company you couldnt break one of those rods with a sledge hammer, roy killed the company I havent fished one of the new john baker blanks yet but I hear they are nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts