360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on going on a coulple tune jigging trips out of hatteras this year mainly catching Blackfin (20lbs to 30lbs class) and yellowfin tuna(30 to 50lbs class) and occasional reef donkey. With out breaking the bank, what would be a good reel to start off with, preferably a conventional.

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
saltist with carbontex drag.Its a beast and doesnt break the bank!You can get some jigs with the extra money!

If i cant get the carbontex by the weekend will the stock drag hold up

·
2,030 Posts
If i cant get the carbontex by the weekend will the stock drag hold up

It will be fine if you don't max your drag out or lock it down. Saltist is a great reel for the price.

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know if there is a diffrence between the black saltist they sell at bass pro and the silver one.

·
3,240 Posts
black only comes in the 50 size and its a little more expensive.the black coating is suppose to be more durable but i think the fifty is too big for jigging those size fish.Go on ebay i got mine(40 low 4.9:1 ratio) for 125 plus shipping.

·
3,240 Posts
yeah they are good for the money ive cought ajs,grouper ,even 80 lb sharks without any problem. The are great budget reels and the carbontex drag change is cake.what rod are you getting?

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah they are good for the money ive cought ajs,grouper ,even 80 lb sharks without any problem. The are great budget reels and the carbontex drag change is cake.what rod are you getting?

I think im getting an OTI the...... the tackle shop (Bishops) i help out at just got them in.

·
3,240 Posts
sweet i like their warranty and customer service i might buy a rod from them im checking some other options.they are quality rods though.

·
1 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a diffrence between the black saltist they sell at bass pro and the silver one.
The black is composite while the silver is aluminum. I just went on a tuna trip and Bass Pro Shop carries a Sealine X50SHA (composite) It performed well. I loaded it with 80# braid

·
5,457 Posts
The black is composite while the silver is aluminum. I just went on a tuna trip and Bass Pro Shop carries a Sealine X50SHA (composite) It performed well. I loaded it with 80# braid

Both are aluminum, the black is just a special color only for BPS.

Daiwa Saltist Black Saltwater Conventional Reels

d-a

·
Registered
50 Posts
View attachment 5539 Ill let you know June-ish...It sure looks rugged enough on the inside,not your Daddie's 113H for sure.Needs a better handle though.The tuna on the Bank are probably getting a little nervous if theyre reading this.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts