Tuna Jigging Reel?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by asian fhb, Jan 28, 2009.

1. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

Planning on going on a coulple tune jigging trips out of hatteras this year mainly catching Blackfin (20lbs to 30lbs class) and yellowfin tuna(30 to 50lbs class) and occasional reef donkey. With out breaking the bank, what would be a good reel to start off with, preferably a conventional.

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

saltist with carbontex drag.Its a beast and doesnt break the bank!You can get some jigs with the extra money!

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I think you should concider Penn Torque 200. It has double dogs backing up the instant anti-reverse.

4. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

saltist with carbontex drag.Its a beast and doesnt break the bank!You can get some jigs with the extra money!

If i cant get the carbontex by the weekend will the stock drag hold up

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

yeah, you'll be fine for those size fish

6. flyerphan13

flyerphan13 Junior member

Another vote for Penn Torque 200,

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

If i cant get the carbontex by the weekend will the stock drag hold up

It will be fine if you don't max your drag out or lock it down. Saltist is a great reel for the price.

8. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

Does anyone know if there is a diffrence between the black saltist they sell at bass pro and the silver one.

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Just a more resistant finish is what they told me when I bought my silver Saltist.

10. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

black only comes in the 50 size and its a little more expensive.the black coating is suppose to be more durable but i think the fifty is too big for jigging those size fish.Go on ebay i got mine(40 low 4.9:1 ratio) for 125 plus shipping.

11. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

cool they got them on sale online for 150 at bass pro. the black one anyways

12. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

yeah they are good for the money ive cought ajs,grouper ,even 80 lb sharks without any problem. The are great budget reels and the carbontex drag change is cake.what rod are you getting?

13. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

yeah they are good for the money ive cought ajs,grouper ,even 80 lb sharks without any problem. The are great budget reels and the carbontex drag change is cake.what rod are you getting?

I think im getting an OTI the...... the tackle shop (Bishops) i help out at just got them in.

14. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

sweet i like their warranty and customer service i might buy a rod from them im checking some other options.they are quality rods though.

15. grizzly 11

grizzly 11 Junior member

Does anyone know if there is a diffrence between the black saltist they sell at bass pro and the silver one.
    The black is composite while the silver is aluminum. I just went on a tuna trip and Bass Pro Shop carries a Sealine X50SHA (composite) It performed well. I loaded it with 80# braid

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The black is composite while the silver is aluminum. I just went on a tuna trip and Bass Pro Shop carries a Sealine X50SHA (composite) It performed well. I loaded it with 80# braid

Both are aluminum, the black is just a special color only for BPS.

Daiwa Saltist Black Saltwater Conventional Reels

d-a

17. ember

ember Guest

View attachment 5539 Ill let you know June-ish...It sure looks rugged enough on the inside,not your Daddie's 113H for sure.Needs a better handle though.The tuna on the Bank are probably getting a little nervous if theyre reading this.

Attached Files: