Tuna Jigging Discussion at Canyon Runner Seminar

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Mar 22, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am honored to join Canyon Runner staffs which include Basil and Dennis Braid for the seminar at Long Island, NY on March 29.
    I'll discuss about tuna jigging as a part of Basil's tuna jigging breakout session utilizing spectra and top-shopts. Canyon Runners seminars are the most prestigious seminars on the East Coast.

For the preparation of the discussion, I need your help.
    I have been experimenting Japanese style tuna jigging for years, but my experience is very limited. I appreciate if you tell me your results of Japanese style jigging for yellowfin, and what kind of techniques and what kind of jigs worked best for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

What an honor indeed! That should be an excellent seminar. I imagine that there are very limited numbers of people that have jigged for yft. My guess is that you might be the expert in the United States.

There are probably numerous Japanese fishermen that have experience jigging deep for yft. It would be great if you could get an experienced Japanese fisherman to the seminar.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

no one better to talk tuna jigging up there :)

i wish i could be of more help, but i only started concentrating on jigging very recently :cool:

where is the seminar? maybe my dad can stop by if its close to where they live

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Ksong,

I find it's always best to loosen up the crowd with a joke. This is what I think you should do:
    1) After your introduction, stand up with a jigging rod in one hand, and a reel in another.
    2) While assembling the reel to the rod, speak softly in Korean.
    3) Keep talking to the audience in Korean while you put the line through the guides.
    4) Still speaking Korean, hold up a jig and tie it to the line while talking at a faster pace.
    5) Start jigging while talking very fast, and then pretend you hooked a tuna and start screaming in Korean.
    6) Calm down, go the your chair and sit down. This should be done under one minute. The shock factor along with looks on their faces will be worth the price of admission.

Then stand up laughing and start speaking English. Tell them the fish don't know who's up there in the boat. It's the technique that catches fish not the language barrier. I believe most fisherman in attendance know that the Japanese started the jigging trend. Believe me, people will listen to you. Bring some 8x10 pictures of yourself with some of the fish you have caught on jigs and place them on a poster and tape it to the wall of easel for the guest to view before the lecture begins. Fisherman love pictures of big fish. When they see those jigs hanging out of the mouth of the tuna, etc., they will love it.

I would begin with a brief fishing history of yourself. Where you have fished, what species you have caught on jigs and start telling them the basics.
    a) advantages of smaller reels when jigging.
    b) Advantages of using spectra.
    c) Advantages of using light weight jigging rods.
    d) Advantages of assist hooks.

Then start getting more detailed.
    1) Loading spectra on the spool.
    2) Tying fluorocarbon to spectra. (simple knots)
    3) Jigs- solid ring, split ring, assist hooks

After they understand the basics, go even more detailed.
    1) Types of jigs. drifting jigs, bottom jigs, mid level jigs,
    2) size of assist hooks of different jigs - single Vs double assist
    3) jigging techniques-
    4) Setting the hook on the drop, crank and bottom bouncing.

I wouldn't get to involved in things like tying a PE knot. You will loose your audience's attention as they can't see you do it from their seats. Keep it simple with the knots.

Then go to questions. People love to ask questions. Going to a seminar and not getting to ask questions to the speaker is a drag. Give some time for this part of your presentation. You'll do great because you know what you are doing, the audience doesn't. Remember, your the King, they are not. Keep confidence up and things will fall into place. I'm sure you'll do just great.

5. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

u cant add much to what mrbill already said .. maybe one small detail .. have a captain that can put you on fish or chum the fish to the boat. no matter how well equip or how much experience the fisherman, jiggin in the middle of freaking no where in the big gom and praying for a hookup aint theoretically sane.

6. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

ksong
    mrbill gave you some great advice. whatever you do don't get up in front of the crowd and start telling accountant's jokes....lol. with your knowledge about jigging and your vast amount of experiences to draw from i am sure that you can keep them interested.....rick

7. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

KSong....

Most of us love to read your threads because you have experimented over the years with many different jigging setups. I just built my 80 lb. jigging rod in a spiral wrap because of things that you have mentioned. My next rod will be a two piece 80 lb. OTI because of your ideas.

When you present your information at the seminar, there may be people wanting to endorse you to help sell their products. I hope that the fishing manufacturers realize that you have a strong ability to push product.

McGolfer....you should also be a speaker at this seminar!!

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

MrBill, Thanks for the suggestions. :) It is not far from what I plan to do.
    Without much time to prepare, I am going to say what I have been using and how I fish and tell them reasons behind.
    Jigging methods and tackles are evolving and there are so many different ways to catch same fish. Whenever I go tuna jigging, I always try different things and want to learn. I plan to fish Gulf of Mexico at least four times this year to learn different things by comparing my methods with other fishermen's methods.

9. papio

papio Senior Member

another good attention getter is by introducing the most thininnest 500 -600g
    jig rod that looks like a Crappie rod that was built to handle a 100lb + Ahi. Present the first rod that looks like a toy, something - like the Trevala or a Barefoot rod.

I've caught all my YFT with regular and long type Japanese style jigs using minimum jig action. Have a great seminar and make us proud.

10. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Yo Kil,

I do not doubt you will wow them with the stuff you have done.

Some of the big questions fishermen have for jigging are as follows,

1. How do you keep up jigging for hours or days when most folks start to falter after a dozen casts and retrieves.
    (Granted, much of GOM fishing may not allow for casting)

2. You might take a series of different jigs, not just Japanese style and show the difference in weighting, front to back, and how the difference of location, size, angle, etc of the hips of the jigs may vary the swim pattern as well as the drop or flutter pattern. How flat blade jigs vary from bait pattern jigs. Extra long jigs vs. their shorter and smaller bothers.

3. show the folks who are changing out some of their treble hooks to bigger or heavier duty trebles are affecting the swim pattern and drop pattern.

4. Show how some of those Japanese jigs travel almost straight down and some have a flutter.

5. Explain retrieve patterns and speed as well as casting directions and shortened retrieves and redrops to maximize the water column.

6. Although Japanese jigs may need a revolving retrieve system there should be an explanation how that may differ from other jigs and retrieve techniques.

7. Unless you are specifically discussing Japanese style fishing I would get into the other shapes and types of casting jigs. I believe you already use Spanyid Raiders but if you dont I will send you a few varieties.

8. Explain how current and boat drift can be decision makers on weights and types of jigs.

9. Knowing the bottom condition, if you are going to the bottom or understanding meter readings to help in locating temp brakes or structure and how to use those in relation to current.

10. How to use varying depths and how to keep track of where your line depth is to repeat the depths if you find where fish might be holding.

11. A big one is color pattern of the Jig and what kind of water conditions and color, available bait in the water, if any, might lead one to chose color patterns. Much of this comes from experience but I am sure you have some of your favorites for certain conditions.

12. Explaining, where live bait is readily available, Jigging may not be the most effective method but can be the most fun.

13. Perhaps getting into to top water jigging and popping showing some popping techniques. Popping for tuna is just starting to become somewhat main stream and is just a blast in that you can watch the crash of the tuna on the bait.

14. Very important is explaining how different jigs have different kick patterns that will vary with the speed of the retrieve. What is the fisherman looking for to determine what is the proper swim pattern of the jig of choice. Some jigs have minimal kick while others kick 45 degrees in each direction.

15. How a jig fisherman, especially with the use of Spectra, must keep in touch with the jig throughout the drop so as to feel any nip or tug on that jig. Folks are probably missing many hits on that jig as it flutters down because they have to much sag in the line. Always wind tight when there is a question as to being hit. If nothing is there, then just redrop.

I am sure it is too late or too tough to do an short video, underwater, of the flutter down patterns of each of the jigs.
    It can be done in a pool. You can also do a pull on each of the jigs to show what a proper swim pattern is. This may be a bit more work than you have time for. I keep threatening to do this but have not done so to date except for personal knowledge (Not filmed)

anyway, those are a few I answer for folks out here on the west coast. Very best of luck to you Kil out there on the East coast. that should be a great seminar. by the way, check out Basil's new top shot holder. It is off the hook.
    I had spoken to Basil a year or two ago on using mono/flouro to hollow spectra in place of shock leaders or Plait type connections. Also because many folks do not like to use hollow spectra for casting from conventional reels due to wind knots there are connections for hollow to solid and back to hollow. I have played with them plenty but since most of my applications are not super deep jigging and am using Short flouro or mono top shots or If I am casting 100 yd. Mono top shots. Its all personal preference. With spinners this is not such a big problem.

Connections of either mono or spectra directly to the jig and what you use.

Well That is the best I can come up with. I do not doubt you will knock them dead.

Jamie

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks Jamie for your generous suggestions and advice.
    As most 400 fishermen who attend the seminar are boat owners, I assume most of them have basic tackles already. I'd like to show them how easy and how fun tuna jigging is and don't want to go in detail too much.

I posted before Japanese style jigging is monotonous as all you have to do is to drop jig and crank jokingly. It is not true. :) It took me 14 straight nights to be comfortable with using a jitterbug for largemouth bass though it seems there is no technique involved in using the simple jitterbug.
    You can not teach them the feeling you accumulated from many year's experience though you can tell what you use and how you use.

Whenever you have free time and want to catch tuna jig and poppers out of Gulf of Mexico and East Coast, let me know.
    I know you are in on Wahoodad's 10 day trip on the Intrepid in Nov. I am on the waiting list. I wanted to join the trip as I see some familiar names on the list and they don't mind I use jigs and popers for the whole trip. :)
    I like to land a cow on jigs or poppers before it is too late.

12. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I noticed from your pics and posts you are an avid diamond jig user please touch on this style as well, It seems to be a very prooductive lure for you
    NY guys seem to be the true experts at them

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I noticed from your pics and posts you are an avid diamond jig user please touch on this style as well, It seems to be a very prooductive lure for you
    NY guys seem to be the true experts at them
    I always say diamond jig and bucktail are the best lures ever invented. :)
    There are rare places it doesn't work whereever you and what species you target. The only time I feel Jananese long jig outfish diamond jigs are amberjack.
    But when you look the jigs closely, they are not all diamond jigs.
    I found tuna are very conscious of jig sizes and they prefer to hit smaller jigs though they hit big jigs.
    That is one of my subjects I pan to discuss at the seminar.

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Kilsong, Is their a web link to this Seminar?

Regards and Good luck.

Kev

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kilsong, Is their a web link to this Seminar?

Regards and Good luck.

Kev

Here is the Canyon Runner's site.

New Jersey Charter Boat New Jersey Charter Fishing Boat in NJ

And their new announcement.
    Canyon Runner NY Seminar Major Update - KilSong to Discuss his Jigging Techniques

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are very pleased to announce that Kil Song has been gracious enough to join our Team at our March 29, Canyon Runner Tuna/Marlin Seminar in Long Island, NY next Saturday.

As most of you know Kil is one of the best tuna jiggers around and we are proud to have him join Basil Pappas in our Tuna Jigging Breakout Session utilizing Spectra and Top-Shots. I for one can’t wait to sit in on his session myself and learn a bunch of new techniques. We hope you enjoy it as well.

Sorry for the late notice but this just came up. If you have yet to purchase tickets we do have about 25 left. Please call the office at 732-842-6825 and we will take care of you.

We have 5 breakout session and each session take 45 minutes. I hope Basil speaks 40 minutes and I can take only 5 minutes. :)

16. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

kil i am sure you will do great, last week you took over a hour at the JPR Rods/ OTI booth to talk jigging and popping, slightly smaller crowd, but still passing on great jigging info to those that want to learn. that is a great opportunity

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Place some of yours jigs on a table. Heck, sign them with a sharpie and sell them for $50 bucks like all the famous sports guys. :D

Attached Files:

18. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

MrBill,
    Those jigs are too pristine and need some tooth marks.

19. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Place some of yours jigs on a table. Heck, sign them with a sharpie and sell them for $50 bucks like all the famous sports guys. :D
    Mr bill nice jigs......we did the jig think Last week:D :D

Attached Files:

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

next time i want a new reel or tackle, can i just stop by? seems easier than surfing the net :)

21. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

MrBill,
    Those jigs are too pristine and need some tooth marks.

Some of us put a device on our jigs to protect them from toothy fish. The fish only hit the hooks. The free swinging jig is then put into a boxing mode where it keeps pounding the fish in the head. This makes the fish give up and puts less strain on the fisherman and keep the jigs looking fresh and clean.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D