360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5,457 Posts
What size conventional reel would I need to fish on party boats like the big E in the GOM. 30 or 50, and what lb braid ??

Jigging or live baiting/chunking?

d-a

·
2,020 Posts
i have found the consensus to be a "30" sized reel. either an AVET pro30 or a Shimano Tiagra 30.. i havent bought mine yet but have a lead on a tiagra 30.

mine will be loaded with 100# hollow braid. most likely the Jerry brown stuff. I like the finger cuff and pulling loop stuff. I dont think i will ever use more than 33# of drag, so 100 will suit me fine and keep my line capacity at maximum.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got spinners for jigging and popping, so it would be for chunking/live bait for tuna bottom fishing and whatever else you guys do in the gulf.

·
5,457 Posts
I've got spinners for jigging and popping, so it would be for chunking/live bait for tuna bottom fishing and whatever else you guys do in the gulf.

30's with 100lb braid like Ronnie said will cover everything you will encounter aside from the jigging and popping.

d-a

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
It all depends on max drag you want and line capacity.
As long as the reel has enough max drag and line capacity, the lighter/smaller, the better.

·
797 Posts
I've got spinners for jigging and popping, so it would be for chunking/live bait for tuna

i went with a Penn 30VSX w/100# on a short bent-butt to put in a rod holder whilst jiggin' or poppin'....... a bit heavy @ 41oz but you can really put some pressure on'em with this little winch

never been on a headboat tho....

·
2,020 Posts
avet 50 is a BIG reel. i had a 50 SDS and it wasnt comfortable unless I was strapped in the harness(standup). no experience with accurate.

·
Super Moderator
5,784 Posts
What size conventional reel would I need to fish on party boats like the big E in the GOM. 30 or 50, and what lb braid ??

Jerry,

I don't think size matters that much anymore, what
you really need is quality reel with strong gear.
Smaller reels are more pleasant to hold and
comfortable in extended fishing sessions.

try a Gorilla 12, 12C,Shimano Torsa 20 or even 16,
JM, Trinidad 14,16 etc ...

think small & quality

1 - 10 of 10 Posts