360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Tampa isn't near any deep water and isn't the best choice for tuna fishing but this is where I live and it's where my boats are. I have a big enough boat to run offshore a hundred miles or more. I know from some friends that it's not uncommon to run into small tuna around the off-shore shrimp boats in the spring but I've never tried that before. Normally that time of year we're targeting tarpon.

So have any of you fished for tuna in this area and have any thoughts?

·
131 Posts
Mike,

You probably know, Blackfin Tuna are the most common tuna here off west-central FL. You can start finding them in 80-100' of water.

As you said, Yellowfin are found at around the 100 mile mark off Tampa -- a heck of a boat ride, starting at The Steps. I've never heard of anyone who has successfully targeted them, they find them primarily by trolling at the 100 mile mark or further.

You might want to call the Old Salt's Fishing Club in St. Pete. At their offshore tournament each August there is usually someone who brings a decent one to the scales. They might have some info for you.

Tom

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Tom; if I try it you're welcome to come along, with decent seas we can be out there in two hours. I'll call and see what I can find out.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
I was fishing in the desoto tournament this past year, many people caught nice size blackfin and we were about 70 miles out when we saw bunch of them crashing on top and trust me it wasnt bonito, we were very close to them but they didnt take any lures when i cast at them. We caught 2 of them right at sun down on the cedar plug though. When we found them there waa bunch of weed but not a define line just bunch of broken weed.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to a bunch of people around here this afternoon. They all agree with Grifft, the nearest reliable tuna are 70 to 100 miles out, toward the Steps. We're half way there at least once a month anyway. They're also saying there are good sail fish out there too. I'll give it a shot in April and see what happens. It's only a couple of tons of fuel. LOL

You guys in this area are welcome to come along.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
MikeF,
If you know good numbers for grouper, I can join you, but not for tuna. :)
I fished with Tommy Butler out of St. Petersburg for grouper years ago and I know there are lots of grouper there.

·
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got all kinds of grouper numbers but we don't have to run quite that far for them. I can catch grouper half a mile from my dock. Unfortunately grouper season is closed until April. We caught and release several dozen nice ones last Friday. Let me know if you're in the area and you can come along; there will be huge grouper out at that depth but the little ones cook up a whole lot better.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Tommy Bulter new boat is like a space shuttle... I think has quad 250 i believe and has like space shuttle like seat...i recall that from the desoto tourney. He also came in with a huge grouper.

·
131 Posts
Tommy Bulter new boat is like a space shuttle... I think has quad 250 i believe and has like space shuttle like seat...i recall that from the desoto tourney. He also came in with a huge grouper.

Tommy B knows these waters like the back of his hand -- no holds barred fishing to say the least.

Tom

·
5,457 Posts
I know Tampa isn't near any deep water and isn't the best choice for tuna fishing but this is where I live and it's where my boats are. I have a big enough boat to run offshore a hundred miles or more. I know from some friends that it's not uncommon to run into small tuna around the off-shore shrimp boats in the spring but I've never tried that before. Normally that time of year we're targeting tarpon.

So have any of you fished for tuna in this area and have any thoughts?

Mike

Having never fished tuna that far south on the gulf side, I would be at one of the Noaa Bouys before daylight ready to troll just like the guys on the east coast. The Bouys are just like the oil rigs that i fish except there is not one every 6 miles. Not knowing where exactly you are headed out of its @ 139 miles from tampa to station 42099 and 42024 (National Data Buoy Center). Might be a small gold mine if you decide to make the run. Don't forget the birds if you do.

d-a

1 - 11 of 11 Posts