Tufftackle Diablo 9000 series 3

Discussion in 'Reels' started by ekimus, May 13, 2009.

1. ekimus

ekimus Guest

G'day I was wondering if anyone has used this reel and if yes, how was it:)

2. tmd

tmd Large Member

3. JTenison

JTenison Guest

Hi ekimus, I was scanning the net looking for rods for this reel, when I found your post.
    I work as a deckie part time for TrackAir, fishing, scuba diving, hunting, Air Tours,Adventures

We have 5 of these reels, the one that review is a series 2 , I have 1 of those, and a series 1 which has a black spool.

We got 3 series 3 reels about a month ago, and they are even better than the older ones, they feel much smoother, and retieve with alot more grunt than the older ones.

The first one we bought a year ago still feels the same as the day we got it, and it's done alot of work on 100mtr bottom bashing on stripy trumpeter and gummy sharks up to a personal record 35kg one.

The handle on the new ones is even better than the older ones, it feels great, we bought ours with spare spools, and the spool fitting is totaly different to the first ones, but defiantely better then the series 1 and 2

The drag on the old ones was pretty good, but adjustment was very course, if you where on 5 kg of drag, it would adjust to about 10kg with a couple of clicks, the series 3 has this fixed by the look of it. The suppllier said it was 1/2 turn per 5kg of drag, which seems about right now.

It doesn't mention on their website that they reshim the reels after 3 years of heavy use, as part of the warranty for free, my boss was stoked that he doesn't have to do any major maintenance on these, as we killed a shimano saragosa in less than 3 months,it's got heaps of play in the gears now

Best I can say, is for the money we can't find anything that has as much balls and lasts as long on charter use for a spinning reel, and we get alot of winchers on board who don't know how to pump a rod, and they can't kill it winching trumpeter off the shelf from 100mtrs, which is what killed our saragosa
    So we'll be getting more when our other reels start to wear out, and I have no doubt the reels can handle mako's and bluefins, they work well trolling and picking up stripy tuna.

The ideal rods to suit need to be 40 to 80lb, and the boss doesn't want to spend $600 on one rod, so if you have any suggestions on rods other than shimano or daiwa for tuna trolling or popping I'm all ears, because we're looking at a new charter out of portland from april till june for the diablo reels and descent popping rods for a fornightly bluefin charter.

4. JTenison

JTenison Guest

:)

I was looking at the tuff tackle site and they have a new 80lb to 130lb reel coming out.

TuffTackle wholesale

looks pretty awesome, bit big for our regular fishing down south, but would be interesting on some of the tuna caught recently off the east coast of australia.

had a mate send me a photo of a 167kg tuna caught last week
    [​IMG]

I ended up getting wilson texalium live fibre rods 10 to 15kg for the 9000 reels bloody good for the price, nice butt length and action for 6ft rods and can take heaps of customer abuse.:)

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Looks good, but why the brass oscillating gear when everything else is SS? Also does the housing have magnesium(AL-Si-Cu-Mg) in it?

d-a

6. JTenison

JTenison Guest

Looks good, but why the brass oscillating gear when everything else is SS? Also does the housing have magnesium(AL-Si-Cu-Mg) in it?

d-a

I copied this off the site from the 9000 info

The new one is the same as the new body material Al-Si-Cu-Mg (we added magnesium (Mg) (Same material used to make engine pistons) This alloy is just as strong as the brass cam, but lighter, and an excellent low speed bearing material, which extends the life of the pinion gear fit, and removes the need to use a bearing at the bottom end of the pinion gear, because bearings in the application are required to be thin and therefore lack a decent life cycle to meet 10 years of use.The position in relation to the main gear allows self lubrication from lubricant thrown off the main gear (perfect and simple) just the way it was intended.

The best guy to answer those kind a questions is the guy who makes them
    His name is Simon
    If I ask him it will be over my head. I remember when he was on board our boat last year, says nothing until you ask him about fishing reels, then he never stops, don't ask him about cars he made this ferrari thing that sounds like heaven, finished off selling it because it only atracted blokes and cops not women LOL

7. jureal

jureal Senior Member

What is the price of these reels?

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I would be leary of these reels with the magnesium in them. It offers lighter weight at a cost of increased corrosion.

d-a

9. JTenison

JTenison Guest

Ours sit on the boat 24/7/365 days of the year, no corrosion seen in a year.
    we wash them down weekly and spray with lanox as well
    I called tuff tackle yesterday the new reel will be $700 in australia
    They do alot of testing on charter boats and have alot of charter operators testing and using thier reels. If they did not hold up we would not buy them

Terry

10. ectopic

ectopic Member

I'm from Perth, Australia, and around this time of the year it's samson fish jigging season.

I went out on a charter who recently purchased a set of diablo XTA 9000 reels and he'd had them for only a week. We broke 3 of them during the day: snapped 2 handles, broke one bail arm (?bad batch). Charter operator not happy, no-one on board was impressed.

They maybe good value for the price, but people going around on forums saying they are better quality then stellas and saltigas are dreaming. You get what you pay for.

If you can afford it go for the trusted and proven brands in my opinion, I subsequently went and bought a 20000SW.

11. mitchman

mitchman Senior Member

I'm from Perth, Australia, and around this time of the year it's samson fish jigging season.

I went out on a charter who recently purchased a set of diablo XTA 9000 reels and he'd had them for only a week. We broke 3 of them during the day: snapped 2 handles, broke one bail arm (?bad batch). Charter operator not happy, no-one on board was impressed.

They maybe good value for the price, but people going around on forums saying they are better quality then stellas and saltigas are dreaming. You get what you pay for.

If you can afford it go for the trusted and proven brands in my opinion, I subsequently went and bought a 20000SW.

That is disappointing to hear! I am not familiar with samson fish, how do you guys jig them?

12. ectopic

ectopic Member

Knife jigs 300-400g.

A small-ish one:

[​IMG]

A member of the Seriola genus (related to amberjacks). We get them up to 50Kg around this time of year.

13. mitchman

mitchman Senior Member

Knife jigs 300-400g.

A small-ish one:

[​IMG]

A member of the Seriola genus (related to amberjacks). We get them up to 50Kg around this time of year.

Wow, it does look like a stumpy amberjack. How much drag were you fishing on the 9000's?

14. ectopic

ectopic Member

I was only fishing an estimated 10kg of drag, but the majority of the fish were probably around the 20kg mark. Plenty out there though. I caught 6 that day, another guy on board got 20+!!, we probably landed about 60 fish for the day between 10 or so people.

15. JTenison

JTenison Guest

I got this off another forum, it's the same charter on the same forum they said they were up to 20kg of drag on the reels.
    After reading the wholething, we would never take out 10 inexperienced guys into a nest of 20 -50kg fish with expensive jig outfits, because stuff like this photo is bound to happen, the customers might be paying for the experience, but you still need to manage how they use the gear, going by the handle issue, it's completly obvious theres alot of heavy winching going on board with some big ass fish. No wander the handles get broken.
    [​IMG]

16. crazyjigger

crazyjigger Guest

My friend bought two Diablos series 3 and a Sniper 10000. He gave me one of the diablos as a loaner on a trip and it was ok. But he told me the other one melted down on a tuna (drag smoked then bail broke), and the sniper 10000 started making weird gear noises and the handle froze at one place when he winds and needs an extra push to pass it every time. They told him to send to Australia for repair but he has to pay dearly for postage. Their customer service is great but only handy if you are in Australia.

17. fourx

fourx Junior member

crazyjigger where did your mate buy the reels from?

fourx

18. crazyjigger

crazyjigger Guest

Dunno. But since he got no where to repair on the East Coast I assume not a shop. Mail order possibly?

19. till

till Senior Member

Actually the worst thing about those tufftackle reels in Aus, what happens if you post about them on your website.

The tufftackle distro and his mates all sign up on your forum and post about how good the stuff is. It happened on on the ausfish forum, I think its called "astroturfing".

The tufftackle guy himself is a bit of a prick too, check this thread.