360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone fishes with the St Croix Triumph saltwater TSWS70MHF rod? If so, what is the biggest fish you have landed with it and do you think it is up to the task of landing 100 to 150lb tuna? I like that it is not that pricey and has a lifetime warrentee. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

·
34 Posts
I was on the losing end of 200# BFT last season with my friends St. Croix premium sws70mhf and we had a reel hard time with a 200# BFT last season we fought that fish for 3.5 hrs with four guys.

I have caught 100# fish with it no problem but anythoing over 150# you really should think about saving and getting the real deal especially the rod.

Problem is, trying to target smaller fish is somtime not possible, I have cast to a smaller group of tuna and a beast has come up and hit it. My advise if you are fishing for BFT in the Norteast that is not enough reel for LARGE bft

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Justin, appreciate the feedback. I would love to have a Stella 20000 and Tuna Sniper but that just isn't a responsible decision, (for me anyway), as a recreational guy. Any rod and reel setups you can recommend that is not very low end at $300/400 but also not the $1400 it would cost for the Stella/Sniper set up? Thanks

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like some very solid advice guys. I was thinking that rod cost more then I wanted to spend but to have such a quality rod and a higher end Shimano reel and still be under $600, is kind of a no brainer now that I think of it. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts