Tsunami Airwave rods

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by newton, Mar 2, 2009.

1. newton

newton Guest

i held one in the store a couple years ago down in stuart fl. nice fluffy light rods. almost bought one. let me tell you man are they light! the boat rods are even light. they have spiral tape eva grips, sic guides and all graphite. price isn't bad at $80.:eek: what do you guys think of the rod? is it tuna worthy?

though i've heard very little about this rod series I'm getting one soon.:)
    maybe i can give a full review in the coming days.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i used it for freshwater stripers. it doubles over at like 10lb of drag...dont really remember because its been so long though....for tuna I think its a no no

3. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

i have a 7ft 10 20 that i fluke fish with. lots of fun but wouldnt wanna hook a tuna

4. newton

newton Guest

so would you say you can use them for vertical jigging? would you say they how soft is the tip on that 10-20lb? dose it have any backbone? very much play in the tip?

do you think the medium boat spinning model (20-40lb) would work well for chucking lures and live bait to pelagics?

5. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

i would not suggest it

6. tailfisher

tailfisher Senior Member

I really love there inshore rods and they can handle some pretty big fish. I just recently bought a couple of there jigging rods 20 to 65 # and there is no way they are strong enough to pull up amberjack,snapper or grouper of any size off the bottom.I now use mine for triggerfish.

7. newton

newton Guest

tailfisher,

i was looking into getting one of the inshore rods too. the Eric Manninio signature edition airwave.

i was looking on their website and they have an inshore 6'6" rated at up to 3oz/15-25lb:eek:that sounds like a pretty beefy mh inshore rod! I'm guessing thats a jigging model. a rod like that would be perfect for pitching to snook in in hardcore tight cover.

8. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I have used their spinning rod for shore fishing. Bluefish, Macs, Snook, and Tarpon. They are light and work very well especially working the beach. I matched the rod with a Cabo 40 reel.

9. newton

newton Guest

have you tried the heavy action inshore spinning rod? that baby can sling 3oz. of lead:eek: :D i wonder if it has bigger guides than on the med/heavy...

10. tailfisher

tailfisher Senior Member

I think there inshore rods are some of the best out there, there is no need to get the Erics signature rods unless you just have to have a black rod with his autograph on it. The regular airwaves are the same. I own 8 spinning and 2 casting and wouldnt trade them for anything. On the other hand I have 3 of the 20 to 65 # jigging rods and would be glad to sale them. They are no good for butterfly jigging for amberjack or grouper with any size to them. I only use them to catch triggerfish.

11. newton

newton Guest

tailfish, the the jigging rods you have too soft? i mean you can't even snapper fish with em? how lite are they? i thought about getting one of the 20-40lb spinning rod for kingfish.

12. tailfisher

tailfisher Senior Member

They might be good for that , I am just saying they are not real good for catching bottom fish of any decent size.

13. newton

newton Guest

are you saying that thay are softer than a vertical jigging rod such as shimano trevala rod of equel class?

14. tailfisher

tailfisher Senior Member

no they are pretty stiff in the middle section.

15. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Have you looked at the Tsunami Trophy boat series spinning rods? Nice versatile rod for the price.

I've used the Tsunami 6'6" MH Trophy series rod for bottom fishing reefs to verticle jigging the ARs in NC with much success. It handled everything that came its way including 75lb+ AJs.

16. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Saw a Tsunami in the shop the other day and I just have to have it. Black/blue colors (my favorites), diamond grips, nice heavy guides, blue reel seat and gimbal to match the rod (REC, I think it was). Just a great looking rod. Wish I had gotten the model number on it. Hadn't seen a Tsunami like it before. Anybody seen and/or tried this new rod? I think it was selling for $150. It will be in my lineup this summer!

JB