TSA Issues - Rod Case

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by BretABaker, Apr 6, 2009.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Last night when I went to pack my rods into my Plano Jumbo Airliner case - I noticed that TSA had removed the pin that sets the length of the case :eek: :mad:

So, what we did as a temporary fix (since I called Continental and they said I had to file a complaint at IAH with the baggage dept) was to put a zip tie through the hole and just somehow try to figure out another fix once I got back to Houston.

Well, after approx 16 hours, I finally got in to Houston (another story) only to find TSA had cut the zip tie :eek: :mad: . So more or less this means the case isn't at a set length, and the rods could easily be crushed. Luckily, none were upon quick inspection, though I still need to carefully look at them.

I am going to call TSA tomorrow and complain and ask what I SHOULD do since apparently this didn't work. I just wanted to let everyone know so definitely watch out next time. Once I talk to TSA tomorrow I will let everyone know.

This wasn't an international flight or anything - just Houston and Philly and back.

2. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

That's Scary and would get me pissed off!

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah - i'm not going to be very cordial to TSA tomorrow...

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

They sometimes check the inside of the rod case. If they can not open it, I suspect they break it because I saw some of my friends' rod cases were broken. That is why I don't lock the hinged opening on the top of my rod case and I just put tapes around.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Yeah I could understand if they just wanted to open it - but the top easily comes off without any lock. I think maybe they thought this was a lock to open to case?

They also opened my other bag with a few lures and leaders in it. Luckily, they didn't seem to have much interest in taking those :)

6. jureal

jureal Senior Member

bolt them down...use several on different holes.

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

what kinda case are yu using bret?

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

bolt them down...use several on different holes.

And only give them one TSA approved lock and paint the lock area orange so they see it. Or do the MR bill fix and rivet it together

d-a

9. DanS

DanS Senior Member

"Open this end to check contents...dumb ass -->" :rolleyes:

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it was the plano jumbo airliner case.

11. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

12. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

"Open this end to check contents...dumb ass -->" :rolleyes:
    I like DanS idea :)

13. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Unfortunately TSA employees are trained to think that these things are 7 foot long pipe bombs, like a simple x-ray could'nt tell them it's just fishing equipment. Every time I fly with rods, it appears that they have been opened and examined multiple times, which sucks cause I usually have them in an order where the Eyelets do not match up.

Now, when I fly somewhere, I ship my rods two weeks before to the hotel or villa that I will be staying. This way you can track your gear online. Works in Caribbean, but don't know about Central America, things are different there. Someone might steal your stuff before it gets to where it's going.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i looked into shipping, but it was too costly and too risky IMO.

15. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

to prevent my rods getting crushed in this situation i put a wooden dowel in the case along with the rods that was 2 or 3 inches longer than my longest rod. a piece of pvc should also do the trick.

16. Backlash Scott

Backlash Scott Member

Bret, I've had the same problem.What has worked for me is using a small zip tie, trimming off the excess after you cinch it tight, then wrapping duct tape around that area. It's no longer visible & doesn't get cut off.Good luck.
    Backlash Scott

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

jrzrider/scott - thanks for those suggestions. i think i will definitely try to get a 6' dowel to prevent them from crushing. great idea.

scott - if TSA gives me no good advice then I'll definitely try this as well.

Thanks!

18. gman

gman Senior Member

get a car mate case or a nature boys case

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if i remember correctly - they don't extend very long. i think it was 5'8"?

20. gman

gman Senior Member

my case hold 8'8 popping rods with room