Trying to pull in 200+lbs

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by bunile, Apr 12, 2008.

1. bunile

bunile Senior Member

I don't know how I ever ended up a fishing freak wanna-be, but if I am thinking about which boat will get me PULLING UP A 200+lbs. of TUNA, on a December 10-day trip, (that is 8 months from now and costs well more than my car did), I must be suffering some salt water related disease I guess. I stay "ZONED OUT" thinking that if I can just get that ultimate cow my life will change in some way. I could be worse than this and ,Well What could be worse? I need some ON_LINE DR.PHIL about why I am like this? ANY one feel free to put in your damages/ help.

2. jedi243

jedi243 Member

Any of the San Diego fleet boats in the code group have roughly the same chance of seeing cows as the work together to find the fish. Catching a cow has a fair amount of luck involved that time of year but rail time the first week of december is usually a good bet. The ten days are not always cow specific trips and unless the bite is wide open plan to spend some time catching yellowtail and other assorted pacific fish. Some of the boats to check would be the Red Rooster 3, Royal Polaris, Shogun, Q105, Independence, and the Royal Star. If you have your heart set on a cow a 15 day trip may be a better bet as they usually focus more on cow fishing and wahoo where the 10 days can but don't always.

3. bunile

bunile Senior Member

That's a better perspective, for now I will be working my way up from 10-days to the really heavy hitters ,maybe in 5 years a 17 day , that way I will always have another rung up the ladder of life to step on. Thanks for taking the time to write up your post, I really don't ever want to do it all too fast, It is too good to hurry thru and (too expensive as well.) If it is greater than a 10-day I don't want to O.D. on LONG RANGE !!! ....YET!!! I am just not that "HOOKED YET"

4. tehtuna

tehtuna Junior member

Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Polaris Supreme (399.6 YFT caught on the boat), Shogun, Independence, Q105, and the Intrepid. You have alot to choose from and they are all really good boats. Royal Star would be my personal choice.

5. Team Buddahead

Team Buddahead Member

One boat you can't forget is the American Angler...Sammy and Brian are a great team. Lori in the office is great.....

6. tehtuna

tehtuna Junior member

I knew I was forgetting one. They are one of the best.

7. getsome

getsome Guest

Having a shot at a 200 lb tuna on a 10 day trip is rolling the dice at best. The last 2 or 3 seasons have produced fish, but that is not the norm and big fish shouldn't be expected on those trips. I've done a half dozen 10 day trips in my life (none in the past 8 years) and the biggest tuna caught on any of those trips was a 178 lbs (my biggest was under 150).
    What you can expect on these trips is a lot of running and several days at Alijos Rocks or the lower banks where you'll get a good shot at a 100 lb tuna. That is not guaranteed either as I had a 10 day where the jackpot fish was under 70 lbs...
    You will also probably spend a lot of your time catching what the LR crews refer to as "filler fish". This consists of small tuna (most under 40 lbs), dorado and yellowtail. You also have a shot at some wahoo, but the numbers have been down in recent years due to commercial pressure. The good news is that the wahoo are usually large on these trips (I've seen them up to 100 lbs).
    The other thing that you want to keep in mind is that when fishing the "big fish" zone, even when they are biting, it's usually not wide open. Most fish are hooked on the slide where only a hand full of anglers are allowed to fish each time (kind of like a trolling rotation). The rest are usually caught on the kite (which is boring because the crew does everything and you just stand there until a fish bites your bait).
    That being said, there have been some incredible scores on big fish in recent years, so you never know what is going to happen.
    I stopped fishing long range for a number of reasons, but suffice it to say that when I want to target big fish these days, I go to a destination and fish on local boats.
    PV used to be great, but the prices have gone through the roof!
    My first year down there, the going rate was $550 per day and now it averages over $1100 (quite an increase in 3 years). Nevertheless, there are a lot of big tuna in that area and if you are flexible on booking your trip, you can wait until the big fish show to improve your chances. If you go down there, I would book at least 3 days of fishing (4 or 5 would be better) to get a shot at a trophy. The good news is that if you catch big fish the first day or two, you can catch some of the other cool things that live down there like big Cuberas.
    The best part of the destination trips (PV or wherever) is that you can get off the boat at the end of each day.
    On my second to last 10 day, we finished 500 miles from SD and spent 2 1/2 days pounding our way up the line through rough seas and 30 knots of wind (not exactly my idea of a good time).
    Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.