True cost of fishing

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by fathom, Jan 15, 2009.

1. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Just to put things in perspective. The following does not account for travel expenses to get to the boat.

Venice- $1250.00 12hr. + fuel devide by # anglers=$$$$

Panama- 5 1/2 days 10hr. day ,food,lodging,alcohol. $3,500= $63. per boat hr.

Big E 76 hr. food,bunk, @ new rates $19.73 per boat hr.

2. blzr

blzr Junior member

How about this perspective??

Here is the data from every long range Head boat that I can find from NY, FL, TX and CA that run trips from 34hrs to 360hrs. Some of these I have fished but most I have not.

The lowest price per hr is about $8.50.

And the most expensive (excluding BigE) is about $12.75.

The BigE 20-25 per hr?????

It's a free market out there. If they can get $20-$25hr??? That would show a serious lack of supply.

3. red34

red34 Guest

I haven’t been to Panama (yet), but I will go out on a limb and say that its 10X the destination and the experience of Freeport. No offense to anyone from Freeport, but come on...

Venice might not be as astatically pleasing as Panama, but it's probably nice to run ½ the distance of Texas to the fish.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Venice- $1250.00 12hr. + fuel + lodging + food divide by # anglers=$$$$

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Or as APS has it for this past jig festival.

Panama - 6 1/2 days fishing - 3800 each for 12 anglers? - all air transfers/lodge/food included

or

Maldives - 9 days fishing - on board living - 1400 each for 12 anglers - all food/drinks/transfers included

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Add in air fare, lodging, food, drinks, tips, rental car and misc stuff, my last trip was $389.46 per fishing hour.:eek: And you know what. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.:) Enjoy the ride of life before you die.:D

Fishing nearby headboats is a very cheap way to fish. Owning your own boat has it's plus's and minuses. Add up all the expensives it takes to maintain for a year and those headboat and trips to Venice will sound mighty cheap.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Add in air fare, lodging, food, drinks, tips, rental car and misc stuff, my last trip was $389.46 per fishing hour.:eek: And you know what. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.:) Enjoy the ride of life before you die.:D

Fishing nearby headboats is a very cheap way to fish. Owning your own boat has it's plus's and minuses. Add up all the expensives it takes to maintain for a year and those headboat and trips to Venice will sound mighty cheap.

I agree with all the points mentioned. Live it up!

8. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Sorry but that is too much. I can fly to Alaska and catch salmon and halibut for 2 day for that. I can see $250 more for food for each person from last year but for the 52hr trip they raised it $400 a person. THat is for 5 meals that is $80 a meal. I know they give you drinks but they have gone way overboard. I hope they do not plan on trying to charge a fuel surcharge???? I have been in the restaurant business and I can put a great meal on the table for $15 to $20 a meal and breakfast for $10. I guess Alaska is going to have me as a guest again this year.

9. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

I looked at the boat scheledule today and WOW I can not believe the prices that is way to high. They raised the price on the 52hr $400 for food??? I hope they are not going to want a fuel surcharge? I can go to Alaska and fish for 2 days for halibut and Salmon for that kind of money. I guess I will be going back to alaska. Alot nicer place for that kind of money. I just don't see how they will have enough people to go on the trips at those prices.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

I haven’t been to Panama (yet), but I will go out on a limb and say that its 10X the destination and the experience of Freeport. No offense to anyone from Freeport, but come on...

Venice might not be as astatically pleasing as Panama, but it's probably nice to run ½ the distance of Texas to the fish.

it is amazing and worth every penny ... once you get into fish LOL

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Fishing trip cost is getting expensive. I used to fish Langara Island off Queen Charlotte under $2000 for four day fishing, but I have to pay almost $4000.
    I heard the Big E is going to raise the price substantially.
    However, you still can find very reasonable prices without sacrificing services. One of the fishing lodges I found is the Panama Sportfishing Lodge.
    I could do it under $3,000 based on four fishermen on one boat which include 5 full day fishing (10 hour a day), 6 night stay at the lodge, free meal and drinks including beer and hard liquor, free transportation from/to Panama airport by cars, any grocery shopping we want. tips and round trip airfare from NY/Panama. They even offered free Panama City tour on the way to the airport on last day. I know this kind of special rate doesn't last long and I have to take advantage of it when I can go.
    The price is actually cheaper than to fish Venice, LA or The Big E.

If you can go on a short notice, most fishing lodges offer discounted prices to fill cancelled spots.
    For example the Paradise lodge in Panama where Steve and Glenn went is offering $7000 for three guys for 5 days fishing in early Feb which include everything except airfare to Panama and tips. It is about $2.333 per person.

12. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Maldives - 9 days fishing - on board living - 1400 each for 12 anglers - all food/drinks/transfers included

You might want to price air tickets to Male' International Airport before declaring Maldives a bargain ;) It's a beautiful place and my two weeks there seemed too short, but the flights there aren't exactly cheap.

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

You might want to price air tickets to Male' International Airport before declaring Maldives a bargain ;) It's a beautiful place and my two weeks there seemed too short, but the flights there aren't exactly cheap.

Mark,

Yeah I just posted the fishing costs as fathom listed pice do not include flights.

14. ALW

ALW Senior Member

I don't put high dollar international trips in the same catagory as party boats in the US. There has always been international trips for high rollers. The Big E is a nice party boat but I don't think it is worth the price increase. I doubt they fill any 52 hr trips. Most of the trips in the past did not yield that many YF's. It will be interesting to see what the new Captians do. Most of the folks I have fished with on the Big E are locals and don't have the big bucks to do trips at the new prices. A Big E 52 hr trip is 26$/boat hr with tip. They don't get YF's on the shorter trips. Most folks like party boats cause they are inexpensive.

May have to work my bay boat and flounder boat a little harder for now.

15. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

Just to put things into my perspective as each has their own. I can do one no Big E trip or two trips else where with enough left over to jump a shorter trip. The Big E is now for big money only and an occosional person who allways dreamed of fishing the boat. I would think some big money folks will fish it, but these same people can fish San Diego (Where the Big E would not compare to the best boats in anything but price) and I agree an exotic trip is not comparing apples to apples. Honestly, I hope the new owner and the boat does well, but me and many like me are not the people they are trying to serve. I hope there are enough high rollers to keep the working people involved in the boat working, but I fear for them.

16. jig

jig Senior Member

Oldtrackster, I agree. And I would think that the folks who can pay that kind of money regularly can afford whatever they want (i.e. big sportfisher or international trip). The primary party boater is a tourist or a good ol' boy who cannot afford the private charters or their own boat. There are just not that many in between that want the YFT experiance, cannot afford the private charter, but can afford (and are willing to pay for) the Big E party boat experience. At the end of the day, it is still a party boat experience after all, no matter how nice it is. Those of us who do it are still a little 'white trash' even if we have some money. :)

And even though I can afford it, I simply cannot justify it. So I am one of the few 'in betweens' and I won't be going, but for maybe, just maybe, one trip a year for nostalgia. So who will be filling up all the spots that often did not fill up at a substantially lower price?

I think the boat ends up getting pulled out of the fishing game yet again.

Is it just me, or is this boat always involved in an unreal amount of turmoil and anguish? Seems since the day she hit the water she has had more hoopla going on about her than all other operations combined.

17. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I sure wish that Capt. Elliot's still ran the show. If the Fed's would figure out what is really going to help the Red Snapper. RS are the lifeline of boats like this. High fuel + no snapper= out of business; and now even if you have a good job, everyone is or should be a little cautious about dropping $1500.00 on a three day fishing trip.

18. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Owning your own boat has it's plus's and minuses. Add up all the expensives it takes to maintain for a year and those headboat and trips to Venice will sound mighty cheap.

Agreed. When you factor in routine/regular maintenance & repairs, insurance, and the other 25 things that are only known once you own, chartering, within reason, is the less costly method of fishing.

Granted, I do find some operations are just way beyond reason and make ownership a viable alternative. I'm not referring to any operation in the U.S. but there are several outfits overseas that must have nothing but clients on crack: $5,500/day for a 55' sporty?! - and there are others similar that are fortunate to have customers that don't have a clue what the going rate is for fishing charters.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You don't need a boat. You need a friend who has a boat. :)

20. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

AMEN!!!
    B-break
    O-out
    A-another
    T-thousand

21. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You don't need a boat. You need a friend who has a boat. :)

I agree! That's why this year I'm gonna go hang out at the Freeport marinas and make buddy buddy with the owners there! :D