Trinidad 40N

Discussion in 'Reels' started by redneck_billcollector, Sep 3, 2008.

1. redneck_billcollector

redneck_billcollector Senior Member

Do many yall use this reel for jigging? I was wondering what would be some upgrades that would improve its performance such as various handles and drag systems. I have one and am looking to tweek it out so I would appreciate any suggestions. I really like the handles/knobs on the Ocea Jigger and was wondering if there are any comparable handles/knobs on the market for the trini?

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Trini 40 Narrow is an awesome jigging machine! Only thing better is the Ocea Jigger, it's cousin, so it's a great choice!

DBG

3. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

Check with Cal Sheets at www.cals2peed.com re his replacement drag plate and carbontex drag washers.

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I got a power handle for my two trini 30's from alantanai for 27 bucks a piece easy to install.

5. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I have a pair of 40N's and they are by far my favorite conventional reel for jigging (I used to run nothing but Accurates until I switched to the 40N's). I had "Hawk" on the Allcoast forum replace the drags with carbontex and put a Cal's drag plate in, but they are otherwise stock. I have the handle in the longer position. Mine are both loaded with 65# braid and function flawlessly for a wide variety of species. They are on a flight to Mexico to go fishing in two days :D

6. stresst

stresst Senior Member

How big are the fish you are all targeting with the 40's? I am loooking for a new reel.

7. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

It has 35#s of drag and holds a whole lot of 65# braid. Pick whatever target you want ;)

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

I have the Ocea Jigger original handles for sale. Colour is gunsmoke - same as the 4000P/5000P so it won't match the 40N gold - sorry. Price is NZD140 approx US$93 with free postage to USA.
    Any interest just email me at [email protected].

9. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

How would a trinidad 30 hold up to the 40? What kind of drag can I get from the 30 and how big a fish could I fight. Thanks Steve

10. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

stay away from the 30, lotta antireverse problems. the 40 is a big step up from the 30s, double antireverse dogs and bigger drag. the 40 and 50 are in the same reel size, and the 30 is in the same group with the 20

11. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Steve

12. Josh

Josh Guest

i have the carbontex washers already in a 40 regular but i dont have the drag plate what improvement will that add to the reel?

13. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

heavier duty drag plate and more drag

14. Josh

Josh Guest

could you send me a link to where i can buy one from or does smooth drag carry them?

15. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

charkbait.com cal's drag plate

16. Josh

Josh Guest

i know they make a plate that gos on the bottom of the reel to strap into on the 40 regular but do they make anything for the 40n?

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am experimenting TN40N with JM LT'81 handle. The existing shaft is a little longer for TN40N, but I am sure JM can make shaft perfectly fit to Trinidad 40N if requested. I got the idea while thinking whether I carry Ocea Jigger or Trinidad for my shop as Shimano USA doesn't give any warranty to Ocea Jigger reels and it is not easy get get service or get parts in the US while TN40N is basically same reel as Ocea Jigger 4000P except the gear ratio of TN40N is 4.9:1 while Ocea Jigger 4000P is 4.1:1, Ocea Jigger has spool lock mechanism and TN40 doesn't and TN40 has round handle knob, while Ocea Jigger has nice, long hyper hande.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Would the Ocea 5000 be about like a 40 regular? I'm thinking trinidad 40, ocea 5000 or International 16vsx for giants.

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Would the Ocea 5000 be about like a 40 regular? I'm thinking trinidad 40, ocea 5000 or International 16vsx for giants.

Yes, and the 16vsx wont give you enough drag.

d-a