#1 ·
Shimano Trinidad 40
Gear Ratio 4.9:1
Line Cap 350/50
Retail for $439.99

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i love the reel. Just got a new one this year using it for tuna jigging here in the north east. Ive pulled on about 20 tuna with it and havent had an issue yet. On one fish i heard an unusual clicking i think it was the anti reverse bt i havent had a problem since then. A lot of line capacity, plently of cranking power, fast retreieve, not much to complain about. I am going to be getting the 50 soon for some of the bigger bluefin. Shimano should consider making it in some different colors and perhaps a new handle. The current handle works but i would love to have some of the larger ones like the new tiagra.

#3 ·
It's attractive, powerful and a beautiful piece of machinery. It casts well and it lands fish; and, the Shimano folks were very nice to deal with. But, I didn't like
---1. Ergonomics--it plus its clunky rod attachment bracket was too large for my large hands.

---2. Thin Anodizing--my other Trini's suffered from thin anodizing on the spool; required more frequent and careful cleaning of spool that would have been required while using spectra line. Maybe this could have been avoided at least in part by pre-treating the spool with Boeshield T-9.

---3. Minor beefs
------a. The Trini seems to require more parts and more tiny, plastic parts than other reels of comparable functionality, size. Avoidable if you don't open it up yourself.
------b. Didn't like those Dirtanium drag washers. Messy and too expensive--but this can be solved w/Cal's drag plate and Carbontex washers
------c. Price point--$400+ but only a 1-speed and only a star drag reel. I'd rather save and then spend a little more to get a 2-spd, lever drag reel that casts nearly as well.

#5 ·
Ragman . . . Regarding point C : In your mind said:
Well, I have never owned or even held an Avet, so I'll leave that for others to discuss. I replaced my Trini40 with a Tib SST12/50. It's a 2-spd (handles the tuna);and, I like the autoshift (I doubted I'd like this; but, w/o it you always lose a beat upshifting in a fight) size, drag, and castability. This, despite its weight (32 oz bare; the 8/50 is 31 oz bare), price point, and the fact that I've had some problem keeping the set point for the downshift from drifting light during a battle. Tiburon has been very attentive to this and I understand others have not had this problem. Dunno.

Edit--I should add the TibSST 12/50 is now my "go-to" rig for GOM tuna fishing and general offshore duty. On a Seeker CJBF 70 & loaded w/65# spectra (which is effectively hollow, but sold as solid) and a short topshot of 50 or 60# mono, it throws Yummees/Frenzies and YoZuri Surface Bull GT's/TunaHunters just fine and handles the tuna well. I'm experimenting w/shorter, even heavier topshots, which may work well.

#6 ·
Edit--I should add the TibSST 12/50 is now my "go-to" rig for GOM tuna fishing and general offshore duty. On a Seeker CJBF 70 & loaded w/65# spectra (which is effectively hollow, but sold as solid) and a short topshot of 50 or 60# mono, it throws Yummees/Frenzies and YoZuri Surface Bull GT's/TunaHunters just fine and handles the tuna well. I'm experimenting w/shorter, even heavier topshots, which may work well.

Are you interested in another sst12? I have one that I'm considering selling at a reasonable price.

#7 ·
The Trinidad is a great reel. The only thing I don't like about it is the star drag. Same with the Penn Torque. I like lever drags because they are so easy to adjust with a fish on. I fished with a trinidad 40N this summer for one day and it was sweet. Turn that 40N into a two speed with a lever drag and it would be awesome. I still don't own an Avet, but that new Hoo might be the first one.

#8 ·
i think it depnds on what you use it for, and preference. For tuna jigging forget lever drag personally. I personally prefer star drag for those applications. With constant casting and such it makes for better castability, and easier reengaging the reel. With the click star drag its not that hard to control the drag output. Usually you wont even have to touch the drag while jigging tuna under 100 lbs.

#10 ·
cant wait for the HooX. at $409.. 2 speed, high 20s/low 30s on drag....hard to beat, and its gonna cost them a lot of LX and 4/0 sales... Cabbage Key is taking prepaid orders, and will ship when the first lot hits the store. Ordering mine on monday....hehe.

#13 ·
I JUST GOT RID OF SIX I HAVE ABUSED FOR FOUR YEARS THEY WORKED GREAT....THIS SEASON IT WILL BE TIBURON SST I CANT WAIT

I gather you make a living by fishing. What's the biggest hallibut you've flopped on the deck? Four years of commercial fishing with a trinidad tells me that they held up very well. How many times did you replace the drags?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.