Trigger Reel Seats on Jigging/Popping Rods?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by red34, May 5, 2009.

1. red34

red34 Guest

I know most larger saltwater rods generally don't use a trigger, but with a smaller diameter reel (Saltist 30T) I figured a trigger might make the rod more controllable and comfortable.

I'm still new to jigging so why or why not?

I want to build a 50# OTI 7'6" in conventional for a dual purpose rod and I'm trying to decide on a trigger reel seat. Going for light and agile with the build so no aluminum.

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i find if you use a reel clamp it acts as added support , kinda like a trigger, so you dont need both i say rod clamp no trigger

3. red34

red34 Guest

i find if you use a reel clamp it acts as added support , kinda like a trigger, so you dont need both i say rod clamp no trigger

Most people complained about the reel clamp on the Saltist because it is very large and awkward. I'll have to try it on another rod and see how it feels. It felt terrible with a trigger not sure about how it is on a plain reel seat though.

4. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i got mine on and i kinda like it. my rod also has a trigger but i palm the left side of the reel and my pinky is in between the clamp and the trigger.it woeks for me i could go without the trigger since i dont use it

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i have a custom rod with a trigger grip - no complaints thus far on tuna/AJ/grouper.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The pss reel seat is made for jigging. It's quite comfortable and I prefer it over regular reel seats.

d-a

7. red34

red34 Guest

The pss reel seat is made for jigging. It's quite comfortable and I prefer it over regular reel seats.

d-a

I finally ran across that one at mudhole. don't know how i was glazing over it all this time. it's what i'll be using.

thanks