Trick For Clearing Backlashes

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Mar 10, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

We all use conventional reels. No matter how good you can cast, the inevitable backlash or birdnest will happen. Pulling out the line can be very frustrating. I've pulled out a knife many many times.

I've even been on a boat where a guy used a propane torch to melt the line off the reel. I don't recommend the torch as it causes the mono to start on fire.:eek: Dripping hot mono on the deck will cause major stains.

Someone sent me this youtube video. I watched it and it made sense. So, I pulled out a Shimano Calcutta 700 and caused a backlash in the back yard.
    To my surprise, this method on the video worked. Give it a try next time you cast into the wind with a baitcaster.

YouTube - Baitcaster How To: Trick For Clearing Backlashes

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks MrBill! This will help out on those windy days... ;)

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Interesting. can't wait to try it.
    thanks Mr Bill!

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Ahhh yes, the ole thumb trick.... I'll give it a try..

5. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

Definitely going to give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

6. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

Nice trick Mr. Bill. I always used a knife, but then I'm mostly landbased and fishing rips with a 3-4 knot current running one way or the other - and oh yeah a couple of other fishermen on either side. This method looks like it takes a wee bit of time, though I'm anxious to try it out.

Wonder if it would be advisable to try this method at Cape Point Hatteras, Montauk Point, or even Wasque.

Thanks for the tip.

Reaux

Attached Files:

7. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Great video Mr. Bill. Thank you.