Treble hook?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Minnow, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Anybody have an experiance with VMC 8527 treble hooks?

How does it compare to Owner ST 66 HD 4X treble hooks?

Thanks

2. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I believe those are used on the new Tuna hunters.

From their description on sea magic lures:
    Extra-sharp VMC cone-cut 6X extra strong hooks are affixed to the plug with 200-pound test stainless steel split rings.

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Kevin,

The one on tuna hunter is not as strong as 6x VMC treble hook I brought back from Asia.
    I don't have the packaging anymore, what a bummer.
    From the picture at VMC website it look like 8527 is their newest 6x treble hook.

4. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

I bought out Port A Outfitters of all their VMC 6X hooks a month ago. I'm sure they have restocked. They run about a buck each. I'm looking at a box right now on my desk.

On the box of 25 it reads "8527PS Cone Cut - 6X STRONG TRBL". 5/0 was the largest they stock and I believe that is the biggest VMC makes in the 8527 series. The 4/0 size came 100 to a box. I wiped them out of about 500 hooks. They are made with 6X wire which is larger and stronger than 4X wire.

They have a silver/zinc finish. They are the best treble on the market right now. I just opened up a new Tuna Hunter to check and they are using the 8527PS 5/0 on them. That's good news. About time somebody gives you a great hook as standard equipment.

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Gunsmoke,

How does this VMC 8527PS treble compare to Owner ST-66TN treble?
    Which one do you think is stronger?
    Thanks
    tj

6. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

Both are good hooks, but I'd take the VMC as the strongest. Another great hook is the Gamakatsu treble 4X strong. I might take it over the owner. The gamakatsu 4X has a black nickle finish. I loaded up on the Gamakatsu's at Roy's tackle. They just started stocking them mid summer.

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Roy's tackle must love you. I bet every time you walk in to that store, you put a big smile on their face LOL.

Thanks a bunch.

8. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Senior Member

They are going to really love me sometime in next two weeks. I'm dropping off over 50 reels to be serviced. Too bad they don't fix broken rods. They seem to be very nice and have a great offshore selection and inventory. They also aren't afraid to bring in new stuff to stock.