Travelling Packages

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by oldfart fisherman, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Hi folks,,,I'm not a regular salt water fisherman,,but at least twice a year I manage to get down to Costa Rica or Panama,,and wet a line.
    Normally I enjoy spinning,,and find that my larger jigs, rapalas,yo zurri's and squidddy stuff seems to do the job...withmy current Diawa/pfleuger and spectra lines..
    Problem is ,,if I want to catch the larger Grouper/tuna etc,,can anyone recommend a package that might be available from Bass Pro/Cabelas,,or another merchant who may have access and deliver to Canada?
    The other criteria is: the package must break down to get through the airports so I cannot utilise a 1 piece..(too bad)

Comments appreciated,,and tight lines Guys!

old fart.

2. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Hey, oldfart, try Angler's Pro shop, spend some decent money on a rig. The only two piece rods worth anything are the one's that cost some$. But you can use the same bottom rod to fish for halibut and cod. I have a one piece Penn "Stand-up Slammer" SLC2455 MED. Action 30-60# Line and have flown around the caribbean , Mexico, Texas with it. I have caught plenty of #20 - #60 pound groupers and snappers with it. I recommend that if you go somewhere exotic to ship your equipment weeks before to your hotel. Last time I was in Anguilla, I watched Tarpon play in front of our villa every night, and my rods were lost at the airport. Finally on the day before our last day, they arrived and I caught several nice 50#+ tarpon. Tell us a little about the Canada fishing scene. My dad and I have always dreamed of coming up.

3. Hi BFTmaster,,thanks for the info...If I tried to find my rods and reels in some of the places I've been,,I'd need an intrepreter and a Colt 45.!
    Up here,,,as you may or may not be aware,,,we have everything,,including fish that will pull the boat! The biggest bluefin in the world gather offshore PEI every year,,,and the catching is pretty exciting,,,
    I prefer the freshwater salmon, lake trout, pike and muskie,,,as they are a lot more reachable,,,
    My normal tackle is a med-heavy spinning 8.5ft Pfleuger with a nice Diawa reel loaded with either 8-20 mono or for the muskie,,I use the spectra up to 60-80 lbs,
    If you haven't eaten a walleye your missing a real treat...but our pike, are in some folks opinions ,,just as good.
    Bass, we have them,,every type and size..as well as some great tournaments..

We have tons of fish,,some great accomodations, fresh ,clean water,,and lots of space to play with..

Come on up,,you will not be disappointed!

1,5 hrs north of Syracuse(after customs..lol)

tight lines!

old fart

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

giant bluefin! sounds like a challenge. anyone want to try? ha ha

5. red34

red34 Guest

Problem is ,,if I want to catch the larger Grouper/tuna etc,,can anyone recommend a package that might be available from Bass Pro/Cabelas,,or another merchant who may have access and deliver to Canada?
    The other criteria is: the package must break down to get through the airports so I cannot utilise a 1 piece..(too bad)

Comments appreciated,,and tight lines Guys!

old fart.

I had the same problem as you when i travel. I go to southern California alot and now I go on 22 hr Tuna trips when I can stay the weekend. Can't wait till next year when I start going to Florida and New York. Watch out Bluefin and Tarpon!

Here are the combos I came up with:

1. Daiwa Saltist 30T w/ Bass Pro Pete Mania Muskie rod
    - 7'2" 2 piece for 20-40# Line (feels heavier than that)
    Bass Pro Shops Pete Maina Signature Series Muskie Rods

2. Daiwa 30 SealineX SHA w/ Cabelas Salt Striker Boat Rod
    - 7' 2 piece for 15-30# line
    Cabela's Salt Strikerâ„¢ Boat Casting Rods

3. Quantum Cabo 80 w/ OTI 7'6" 2-piece Popping Rod

4. Calcutta 200 and a Penn 4400ss on 2 regular 12-14# 2-Piece rods for Redfish and Trout (the baitcast is the same series as the rod from Cabelas except lighter and with a cork handle)

I carry all rods but the OTI (it comes w/ a sleeve) in a 46-48" piece of 4" PVC w/ screw-in caps at each end that I mounted a handle to. It will easily fit in the overhead compartment or in the hanging garment rack at the front of the plane.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Can 360Tackle not ship to Canada?
    If they can I high recomend ordering the 2 piece popping rod. You can really use the 30-80 lb for anything. I have used it to jig with on party boats so that it is long and I can keep the line way from the boat easily...
    You can pick from a lot of different spinning reels that will do the job...

7. NEMO

NEMO Member

A 2ps. OTI 7 1/2' rod with a Stella 20000, can't get any better than that. Just alittle better than my Zebco33 lol. then a OTI 5.6' rod with a Gorilla12 reel for jigging. SWEET