360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with Trav (jig42na) this evening and he said he landed a 71'' bluefin (210 -220 lbs) on a jig with JM PE5 reel/Jigstar rod in Cape Cod today. He said he took only 18 minutes to land the monster. :eek:
Congratualtions, Trav.

·
31 Posts
Yes Kil - Pictures Please?

Previous best Tuna on a Jigstar 450 (to the best of my knowledge) was an 82Kg YFT inside 25mins in SA.

Travis EXCELLENT catch! In 18 minutes is AWESOME!

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Kil - Pictures Please?

Previous best Tuna on a Jigstar 450 (to the best of my knowledge) was an 82Kg YFT inside 25mins in SA.

Travis EXCELLENT catch! In 18 minutes is AWESOME!
Hi Roy,
Travis is still fishing today. I am sure he is going to post full report with pictures tomorrow.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice trav and thank you mr kilsong for update. When will the jm be available here?
Jigstar is very similar to Jigging Master with cheaper prices.
I don't carry them as I am JM dealer. I am sure someone will carry Jigstar in the US soon.
When I had a drink with Travis before he headed for Cape Cod the other day, he said he likes 4:1 gear ratio JM PE5 reel because it gives time for jigs to give action while falling before crank up. I know 4:1 gear ratio is much better than 6:1 gear ratio for jigging from my experinece and his logic makes sense. He is such a good fisherman. :)

·
424 Posts
Kil do u think 4/1 is better for tuna or all fish when jigging. There was a trip that I spent morning jigging in low gear on 870 and didn't have a bite till switch to hi gear and then it was one yellowtail after another.

Looking forward to trav's report and pics.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kil do u think 4/1 is better for tuna or all fish when jigging. There was a trip that I spent morning jigging in low gear on 870 and didn't have a bite till switch to hi gear and then it was one yellowtail after another.

Looking forward to trav's report and pics.
If gear ratio is too low, it might don't work for yellowtail or AJ. 4:1 gear ratio is not low in my opinion.
AJ are main game fish for JM guys in Taiwan. They know about AJ jigging more than any other guys. When they develop 4:1 gear ratio reels for jigging, they have reason for it.

I tested JM PE4 for AJ in NC, but I had no problem to get plenty of bites with PE4.
You sometimes slow down your jigging motion to get hit by tuna.
Mike of Peace Token, excellent tuna jig fisherman had 5 hookups with bluefin in Cape Cod last week. He uses 8' long rod and jig by moving rod tip up and down slowly in desirable depth. He never use Japanese style fast cranking.

·
2,753 Posts
To piggy back on what kil typed...

Yellow tail are typically the type of fish that respond differently to evey different day/time/tide/drift.

However once you figure that strategy out they will hit non-stop.

Typically yellow tail are the type to be attracted to longer/skinny knife life jigs. In Asia their typical forage is the beltfish. Needlefish may be the equivilent in NC. I would say that they then are attracted to higher speed jigging.

During your trip, did you decided to change to a higher gear ratio reel at the same time as changing to a longer/slender knifelike jig?

Slower motion attracts tuna. OR maybe I can say the "correct" action.

AJ/Yellowtail need to see the correct action whether it be fast or slow in the vertical water column or horizontal water column.

good luck in your game.

·
424 Posts
I was catching them on smaller jig like butterfly 165. I was on 4th day of trip so I was using low gear as I was lazy. Switched to see if different retrieve would work and it was like nite and day.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just talked with Dom. He said they lost a giant estimated at 400 lb boatside after fighting one hour 20 minutes. It took Dom's favorite Tatoo lure.
Mike(fishwisher) had about 10 hookups on jigs.:eek:

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone. I will start off by apoligizing for not having any good pictures or video. I forgot to charge the camera before we left and Jesse's camera was dead also. I'm hoping maybe Dom has some shots. We got the vid to work for about 3 seconds and took some dock photos that aren't so good.

The Trip
It a usual planned trip, we drove up and met at Kil's shop as it is safe parking for us to leave a car there. We had to bring the boat home so we took my truck. Drove all night and got to the boat in the morning. Dom already had the boat sitting at the dock waiting for his charter. We lauched and took off heading for the bank. We went to our usual starting area and saw a tn of life but no tuna. We talked to Capt Dom and worked some different areas in search of the fish. WIth it being slow and approaching the good tide we decided to make some bait for a back up plan, and then we got the call. "Yo Trav my machine is full of marks" "We jsut dropped one on the Jig" so we headed over. Thanks for the call man!!!

We found the marks and setup a live Mackeral on top and then we started thinning out the Doggies. I had a hit that felt like a tuna but it unbuttoned quickly and then the machine lit up reall good. With that I hooked up to the first tuna of the season up there for me on the jig. I was using my new PE5 reel with a Jigstar 350g rod. It was a real pleasure fighting this fish on this gear. THe drag was flawless after a long run and the rod handled some real good size headshakes. When we got color and after a longer fight I we all new this was a good fish. She came boat side and Jesse and Greg had double gaff in her like true pros should.

I've been waiting a long time for a jigged tuna there and it finally paid off. We basically jigged all day and Greg had a nice tuna caught and released on a live mack. By late afternoon we couldn't pick up anymore tuna but we had a nice showing of some surface action at another location but they wouldn't touch a thing.
Overall it was a good trip, and I can't wait for next year. We met some real nice people up there, and there is no better sites in fishing than there. I love the New England scene.

Here is a poor photo and video that should be edited into a photo since its 1 second long.

YouTube - 210lb BFT Cape Cod Bay

1 - 20 of 40 Posts