360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed to green harbor next week and if we are fortunate enough i would like to bring the meat back with us. i will be flying there any back via AirTran.
Logan MA to newport news, VA.

one method i know would be to buy a cooler up there and then bring it back as checked baggage.
This method i see being pretty pricey and a hassle : over weight baggage fees cost of cooler or baggage fee for empty cooler on the way up.

the other method would be to have the meat packaged and shipped back.

is anyone aware of a company that would pack and ship fish for this type of shipment? any where between green harbor and boston would be a viable option.

any advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I don't know the specifics of your trip like how many days and how many people you are going with but I would pack light and check in a cooler onboard with you. Cut the loin into fat chunks as long as the cooler is, and pack up to 50lbs of fish in the cooler with ice packs or dry ice. Either UPS your clothes back or carry your clothes in another members suitcase, if you are there for a short time you can share a large suitcase with another person and check it in. So longs as it is under 50lbs you are safe. If you check in 2 bags they might only charge you 50 bucks, cheap for A+ QUALITY TUNA.

G

·
shipping gear or clothes back is a good idea. you can get some of those USPS flat rate boxes and throw all your jigs/poppers and whatnot into. those boxes are pretty reasonable, certainly less expensive than a 25lb FedEx box will be.

·
138 Posts
I agree that the easiest way is to pack fillets as carry-on luggage. You usually can't use ice or dry ice, but if you don't fill the entire container with cold fillets, you can pack it with bags of frozen veggies like corn or peas. A carry on size insulated bag (like a "fish bag" used on some boats) is easier to deal with than a traditional cooler. But it's a short flight from Logan to VA...you would probably even be fine for 3-4 hrs with a cheap duffel bag lined with newspaper, so long as the fillets are cool to start with. Good luck, and enjoy your fish!

·
Site Sponsor
751 Posts
Just brought back about 35#s of tuna from Cabo, packed in a rolling cooler I got from WallyWorld. Flew Continental. Cooler and fish weighed 49lbs. Cost $25 for second checked bag. Airlines will not let you put ice or dry ice in cooler. Can you freeze before your return flight? My fish stayed frozen hard for 14hrs.

·
1,095 Posts
Also, Pack the cooler with ice the night before to cool it down before putting the frozen fish in it. That really helps the keeping power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts