Transfering line

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SpecialK, Jul 12, 2009.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have a 20k pg and I want to take the liner off of it and put it on an 18k sw.
    Does anyone have experience, good or bad, going directly from one spinning to another?
    Is the line going to twist really bad?
    Am I better off running it onto a spool with a drill and then putting it on the othe reel?

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Not that I am an expert but I realize that taking the line off and onto a conventional reel and then respooling on the 18k would be best.

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

1. Put the old rod/reel in a rod holder, open the bail. Run the line from the old rod to the new one. Start reeling. This method will neither add, nor subtract twists. The top of the old line is on the bottom of the new reel.

2. Put the old rod/reel in a rod holder, open the bail. Reel the line onto a conventional. Then reel the line onto the new reel. This method will neither add, nor subtract twists. The top of the old line is on the top of the new reel. Use the drag of the conventional (8-10 lbs.) when you reel the line onto the new reel.

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

1. Put the old rod/reel in a rod holder, open the bail. Run the line from the old rod to the new one. Start reeling. This method will neither add, nor subtract twists. The top of the old line is on the bottom of the new reel.

But I shouldn't leave the bail closed on the old reel with the drag loose to put tension on the new reel?

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

But I shouldn't leave the bail closed on the old reel with the drag loose to put tension on the new reel?

If you go with method 1 and do that you will be changing the twist of the line.