traded a Penn 114 for a saltist.

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by turfman, Sep 22, 2008.

1. turfman

turfman Member

Bought a penn 114h off one of my budies for $75. he buys a saltist; doesn't like it and trades me the saltist for the 114 again.

Are they built strong enough for 75lb yellowfin? I hear you guys talk about the carbonex drags; with the upgrade would it be a decent back up reel?

Thanks
    Mark

2. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I am no reel expert by far. I have seen the 40 and 50's saltists catch fish to 50lbs. Also seen them fail. You ask about 75lb YFT but wheres there 75's theres 125s+. I think I would feel safer with a 114!

3. turfman

turfman Member

I am no reel expert by far. I have seen the 40 and 50's saltists catch fish to 50lbs. Also seen them fail. You ask about 75lb YFT but wheres there 75's theres 125s+. I think I would feel safer with a 114!

Good question! Where are the 125lb yellowfin this year.

Shoulda said for jigging. Got the 114 off him for a cod/tilefish reel; don't really need either. Just wondering after the upgrades if the saltist would handle decent sized fish?

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bought a penn 114h off one of my budies for $75. he buys a saltist; doesn't like it and trades me the saltist for the 114 again.

Are they built strong enough for 75lb yellowfin? I hear you guys talk about the carbonex drags; with the upgrade would it be a decent back up reel?

Thanks
    Mark
    I experimented Saltist 40 (low gear) with carbontex drag washers for tuna jigging and caught about 20 upto 100 lbs with the reel until I gave the reel as a gift to a mate of the Capt Tomeny out of Forcheon, LA last year as he wanted the reel and he worked so hard for us. :)

5. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Thanks
    Mark

Love it !!!

6. shanker

shanker Senior Member

The Penn Baja Special would be a good budget reel also for what you are seeking...

7. turfman

turfman Member

I'm really not looking for anything, just my buddie is a chronic tackle shopper and never satisfied with what he buys. I tell him to buy the best you can once, then its done. He is incapable of understanding this logic.

I bought the 114 of of him for a cod reel that I'll probably use as a back up. ( have a gorilla 20 for the main reel).

He buys the saltist cuz its cheap and him being him, finds faults with it , so I give him back the 114 for the saltist.

I know everyone here likes the saltiga and figured the saltist is just the lesser refined version. Guessing the drag could be at 20 max on this reel. If I put the carbontex drags in it could it possibly handle 26lbs or so of drag? and if it does, do they get tight?