TP& W State water Red Snapper meetings

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by TOO, Jan 2, 2008.

1. TOO

TOO Senior member

From 2cool.com
    2CoolFishing - TPand W meetings
    TPand W is having a series of meetings in January to "consider changes in the present Red Snapper and Shark fisheries to attain greater consistency between Federal reulations and State Regulations . This is Agencyspeak for " we are getting a lot of pressure from the Feds to close state waters when the EEZ closes and we going to cave ." The only way to have a chance to keep a state fishery is to put a lot of pressure on them to keep it the way it is . If not, get ready for 2 fish 16inches from June thru Sept in state waters as well .

All meetings are from 7:00 to 9:00 PM

Jan 3 Port Arthhur Public Library
    Jan 8 Galveston Co. Extension Service Office Dickinson Tx
    Jan 9 University of Texas Marine Science Institute Auditorium Port Aransas
    Jan 10 Port Isabel Community Center Port Isabel

A good turnout for these meetings will be sorely needed

Our offer from T.O.O.:

Hi folks, I hope that what I will offer to do will help out and make a difference with these meetings.
    I will attend the Port Aransas meeting on the 9th. I will be happy to copy and print out letters from anyone that sends us a Microsoft Word document to [email protected] supporting the Texas Red Snapper season being left open and seperate from the Federal regulations.
    I do ask for a word document as it is easier for us to print than a straight email response.
    I make this offer, but for those that have attended public meetings as I have in the past, I have this question:
    Will showing up at the meeting with "X" number of printed letters in support of the current state regulations make any real input to the TPWD officials, or would only warm bodies make a difference?
    That is my only concern on this offer.
    I will willingly copy and print any letter and present it to the TPWD officials, and for those that are far from the coastal areas of Texas it will make your voice be heard.
    I do think it will be effective to present whatever letters we receive, but my concern is, will the TPWD officials realize that folks that live far from the coast want a say in the decesion making process for state waters?
    It is very hard for a fishermen to try to justify driving from DFW, San Angelo, Austin, Lubbock, or elsewhere and burn a day or two of work during the middle of the week, especially right after the holidays.
    That said, we will be happy to copy and present letters from those that send them to us at the above email address. I would recommend that anyone that does this include in their letter the following:
    full name
    address
    phone numbers?
    fishing or super combo license number?
    A simple, respectful, well written letter stating your support for maintaining the current Texas State water regulations, and opposing the Federal regulations.
    If the letters can be written, signed, scanned and then sent to us that might be better.
    Not sure if the license number or phone numbers are helpful or if that is good(smart) thing to do, but I put that there if folks want to let the TPWD know they are a licensed fishermen.
    I do suggest if you are attending one of the other meetings to not send a letter to us.
    Again, we'll be there in Port Aransas and will present any letters email to us. We hope it will make a difference.
    If anyone has something to add to our offer or suggest something different we are all ears.
    If anyone has a question feel free to call us at (210) 215-3877
    Willie
    Texas Outdoor Organizers

2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Willie....

I contacted many of the local folks who attend this forum in hopes that they will attend. I'll see you there. This affects us all.

For those that cannot attend but would like to send them an email it can be sent to .....

[email protected]

3. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Several days ago I posted the info about the meetings over at corpusfishing.com. Jim Smarr posted some info on that thread I thought I would pass along here. Here are portions of his post ....

TPWD has told me they have to have support to maintain our Red Snapper and Shark limits in State Waters. If we set on our behinds
    TPWD will take it away. I have spoken to several members of the TPWD Commission. This is a must series of meetings to attend.

We need everyone there. If you don't like to speak please have someone type a statement for you. Sign in and go to the speakers podium and simply state you have a statement to be entered for the record and I am not for any reductions. Let the next person have the time.

Please fill the room.

Jim Smarr
    RFA Texas
    361-463-1558
    [email protected]

4. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Well .... according to threads on other boards the first meeting held in Port Arthur last night was not well attended and the attendants were not very vocal.

And to make matters worse CCA went on record as wanting to give in to the feds. What a joke this organization has become since it was formed years ago. They haven't seen a dollar of mine in 5 years and will never see another one. I would like to see a boycott of the S.T.A.R. tourney. When you sign up for S.T.A.R. you give them the authority to speak for you.:mad: :mad: :mad:

5. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I just got off the telephone with Deep Sea Headquarters and Greg and them were not even remotely aware of this proposal and meeting. He promised me he would attend and try to get all the captains and deckhands there as well. I even suggested to Greg that they put an announcement on their marquee ....Anyone attending the meeting will receive a discount on their next state waters trip! He thought that was a neat idea but I can't say that it will happen. :p

So .... please, if you have contact with anyone in Port A. that might be affected by this please give them a call to see if they even know about it.

Dolphin Docks, Adventurer, Port A. Outfitters, Fisherman's Wharf, Woody's????

Shorty's??? :D

6. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

Port Isabel......

Restrictions could affect recreation, commercial fishing

By CARL PHILLIPS
    Island Breeze

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department officials held a public hearing at the Port Isabel Community Center Thursday night to discuss three issues that could affect recreational and commercial fishing.

The issues for public debate were the consistency of state regulations with federal rules, commercial menhaden harvest restrictions and creation of a saltwater guide certification process.

The meeting, led by TPWD officers Mark Lingo and Art Morris, drew nearly 80 people and was the last of four meetings held at different locations on the Texas coast between the Louisiana border and the Rio Grande River.

The consistency with federal regulations involved sharks and red snapper. Opposition to bringing state rules into line with laws governing fishing in federal waters was unanimous.

Sharks, said Morris, are a migratory species. The key proposal includes placing blacktip sharks on the prohibited species list. TPWD officials also wanted to know how the public feels about increasing the current minimum size limit on all sharks.

As for red snapper, the National Marine Fisheries Service proposes a two-fish bag limit for Texas waters, to be consistent with the limit in Federal waters. The service also proposes a 122-day season beginning June 1.

During discussion on this item, Morris conceded that of all the red snapper taken in Texas waters, 51 percent are caught by commercial fishermen, with recreational anglers bagging the remaining 49 percent.

Noting that under the present limits red snapper stocks are rebounding, Morris said the fishery should be fully recovered by 2032.

Aaron Phillips, employed by Capt. Murphy’s Fishing Service said that about a third of those present at the meeting were Winter Texans. Some of them complained that they wouldn’t live long enough to see the restrictions lifted.

The stock is already improving, Phillips said. Snapper caught and brought in are getting larger all the time, he explained.

Phillips said that if state limits are set to match federal restrictions, the snapper fishing industry will be in trouble.

“People spend a lot of money to come down here from northern states,” he said. “They come down in an RV and park it in the KOA or the county park. They buy a temporary fishing license, and they come home with two snapper. That makes for very expensive dining.”

The socio-economic impact of further bag limits on red snapper, Phillips said, will be great. “It’s already a hard sell with a limit of four,” he explained.

The proposed restrictions on commercial fishing for menhaden did not encounter very much resistance, he said. The Texas catch only amounts to three percent of all Gulf of Mexico landings, according to Morris.

A little interest was shown in the saltwater guide certification process, Lingo said, but it was lukewarm at best. The idea is that if a guide can display a certification logo showing he had completed a course on Texas ecology he will have an advantage over the guide who does not participate.

Phil Cato, owner of Osprey Fishing Trips, said he didn’t attend the meeting because he figured it would be a waste of time. “I had more important things to do,” he said.

Cato believes that the issues are already decided, he said, and the only reason public hearings are held is to satisfy the legal requirements of the regulation process.
    “Those of us in the [recreational fishing] business have to try to anticipate what’s coming and adjust for it so we can continue to operate within the regulations,” he said.

“I think they’re going to make the Gulf one big petting zoo before it’s over,” he said, and added that when that happens saltwater fishing guides and captains will have to get used to selling a catch-and-release program to tourists.

Phillips agreed that the weight of public opinion expressed at the meeting probably would not amount to much in the grand scheme of things. “I think they care what people think, but I don’t think that’s going to be an overwhelming factor in the final decision,” he said.

Phillips said before any changes are effective there will be another round of public hearings, with the next Port Isabel meeting expected to take place March 10.

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Sounds like Phil Cato doesn't care about the rec fishermen, that's a very good reason not to waste money with them.

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I agree. Why any fishing outlet would weigh in a STAR fish after CCA's stance is beyond me. The weigh in stations need to ask themself why they are weighing a fish in for a organization that doesn't support their business, in fact, they want to essentially supporting to put them out of business.

Well .... according to threads on other boards the first meeting held in Port Arthur last night was not well attended and the attendants were not very vocal.

And to make matters worse CCA went on record as wanting to give in to the feds. What a joke this organization has become since it was formed years ago. They haven't seen a dollar of mine in 5 years and will never see another one. I would like to see a boycott of the S.T.A.R. tourney. When you sign up for S.T.A.R. you give them the authority to speak for you.:mad: :mad: :mad:

9. jim smarr

jim smarr Guest

Just curious what did you feel about the RFA statement during the meetings?

10. jim smarr

jim smarr Guest

By CARL PHILLIPS
    Island Breeze

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department officials held a public hearing at the Port Isabel Community Center Thursday night to discuss three issues that could affect recreational and commercial fishing.

The issues for public debate were the consistency of state regulations with federal rules, commercial menhaden harvest restrictions and creation of a saltwater guide certification process.

The meeting, led by TPWD officers Mark Lingo and Art Morris, drew nearly 80 people and was the last of four meetings held at different locations on the Texas coast between the Louisiana border and the Rio Grande River.

The consistency with federal regulations involved sharks and red snapper. Opposition to bringing state rules into line with laws governing fishing in federal waters was unanimous.

Sharks, said Morris, are a migratory species. The key proposal includes placing blacktip sharks on the prohibited species list. TPWD officials also wanted to know how the public feels about increasing the current minimum size limit on all sharks.

As for red snapper, the National Marine Fisheries Service proposes a two-fish bag limit for Texas waters, to be consistent with the limit in Federal waters. The service also proposes a 122-day season beginning June 1.

During discussion on this item, Morris conceded that of all the red snapper taken in Texas waters, 51 percent are caught by commercial fishermen, with recreational anglers bagging the remaining 49 percent.

(Commercial Fishermen can land only 4 fish per person as do Recreational Anglers. RFA
    Pushed for this change to push Commercials out of Texas State Waters. If caught in Texas State Waters with more fish the fines would be harsh. This was a quicker solution than gamefish status in state waters. The 49/51 split is for Fed Waters.)

Noting that under the present limits red snapper stocks are rebounding, Morris said the fishery should be fully recovered by 2032.

Aaron Phillips, employed by Capt. Murphy’s Fishing Service said that about a third of those present at the meeting were Winter Texans. Some of them complained that they wouldn’t live long enough to see the restrictions lifted.

The stock is already improving, Phillips said. Snapper caught and brought in are getting larger all the time, he explained.

Phillips said that if state limits are set to match federal restrictions, the snapper fishing industry will be in trouble.

“People spend a lot of money to come down here from northern states,” he said. “They come down in an RV and park it in the KOA or the county park. They buy a temporary fishing license, and they come home with two snapper. That makes for very expensive dining.”

The socio-economic impact of further bag limits on red snapper, Phillips said, will be great. “It’s already a hard sell with a limit of four,” he explained.

The proposed restrictions on commercial fishing for menhaden did not encounter very much resistance, he said. The Texas catch only amounts to three percent of all Gulf of Mexico landings, according to Morris.

(The Reduction Industry is being run off the East Coast. RFA has pushed for closing Texas State Waters as a precaution. The Reduction Industry has reduced Menhaded
    To the point on the East Coast the food chain crashed almost destroying most of the sport fish. The Industry seems to have a Grand Jury investigating cyanide releases
    Near Chesapeake Bay in a creek Menhaden filter 4 gallons of water a minute being algae
    Feeders removing blooms before they become red tide and brown tide. These fish are very important as they serve as the vacuum cleaners/liver of our echo systems. Bycatch
    Is another issue as 3% of 1,600,000,000#’s is a big pile of Sharks ,Tarpon, Redfish and Specks. I think TPWD has re thought that statement.)A little interest was shown in the saltwater guide certification process, Lingo said, but it was lukewarm at best. The idea is that if a guide can display a certification logo showing he had completed a course on Texas ecology he will have an advantage over the guide who does not participate.

Phil Cato, owner of Osprey Fishing Trips, said he didn’t attend the meeting because he figured it would be a waste of time. “I had more important things to do,” he said.
    (I drove 400 miles to be there. I did not feel the same. Phil has been to many meetings as I have. Unfortunately many feel like he does. This meeting was different as TPWD wanted and needed our support to maintain control of our fisheries. Had he talked to me I feel he would have understood the difference. Apathy seems to set in after 13 years of fighting and seeing the Commercials end up with a 365 day 24/7 fishery. We with 122 days 2 fish in Fed Waters.) Cato believes that the issues are already decided, he said, and the only reason public hearings are held is to satisfy the legal requirements of the regulation process.
    “Those of us in the [recreational fishing] business have to try to anticipate what’s coming and adjust for it so we can continue to operate within the regulations,” he said.

“I think they’re going to make the Gulf one big petting zoo before it’s over,” he said, and added that when that happens saltwater fishing guides and captains will have to get used to selling a catch-and-release program to tourists.

Phillips agreed that the weight of public opinion expressed at the meeting probably would not amount to much in the grand scheme of things. “I think they care what people think, but I don’t think that’s going to be an overwhelming factor in the final decision,” he said.

Phillips said before any changes are effective there will be another round of public hearings, with the next Port Isabel meeting expected to take place March 10.

(Thanks to the large turnouts we believe the Fed Rule issue will not be accepted at the January 23/24 TPWD Commission Meeting. They truly did want to have Texas Anglers voice their opinion on the Fed Issue. Now they simply state we heard a big NO so TPWD Will stand pat meaning there should be no further meetings. Dead Issue.)

(My Take) FYI -Jim -I was asked to clean up the issues as some were a little off base.

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

People, I asked Jim Smarr to clarify some of what was said at Port Isabel.

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thaks Jim, and thanks for all your work for recreational fishermen.

13. jim smarr

jim smarr Guest

Thanks for the kind words Bellyups. We try.