Tough loss of a giant on a popper today

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Capt Dom said they lost a giant estimated around 250 lbs after three hour fighting as 80 lbs leader line got broken in Cape Cod Bay, MA today. They saw fish erupted on the surface this morning, but they just ignored any poppers thrown to them. However they managed to hook up a giant on a small Yozuri's Hytro popper by 11;30 am. The fisherman used PE6 line on SaltigaZ6000 with Fin Nor Offshore rod.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Tough break, must of been heck of a fight before busting off!

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Wow, no that is a topwater tuna. Too bad it broke free. Oh well, it will be bigger next year.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

did they just throw poppers or did they try throwing other lures?

5. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

wow...3 hours...that's rough... next time guy!

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

did they just throw poppers or did they try throwing other lures?
    I heard they tried everthing they had.

7. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

When tunas are feeding small fishes , one must match the size to entice a strike , I always have 40 gr. spoon in my tackle box when I go tuna popping .

Jon .

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the only problem with the light lures is that often times very strong rods have trouble casting them very well. if you use 8' rod or longer, it will be tougher to fight a big fish for a long time.

9. Sportfisherman

I have Carpenter TN87 which can cast 40 gr. lure a long way , have tangled with 100 lbs. YFT without problem onboard a 40' sportfishing boat , the only time the captain must help by manouvering the boat is when we have multiple strikes and tunas circling under the boat , in such an instance the angler with the strongest outfit gets the task to bring his fish first and those with lighter outfit must just try to stay connected till less ines are in the water .

Jon .

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

what PE/drag rating is that rod?

11. Sportfisherman

PE 5~6 , I set my initial drag at 6 kg on my SW8000HG using PE4 line , the bigger YFTs will take some 150m straight down which by then the drag wud have increased considerably and then the fight will start , when the water clarity is good one can expect the YFT to fight more rigourously when near the hull of the boat .

Jon .

12. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I like those specs of that rod Jon.

PE 5-6 line
    ~40-150g lures

There are only a few more rods that fill the same niche :)

Edit: Is that the same as the "HL TN-87" rod Jon because it says it is rated for PE8 line

13. Sportfisherman

Hi Jersey Bryant ,

It is the same , HL = High Lifter but rated PE 5~6 now , previously was rated PE 4~6 ( as in my rod ) . If you want a heavier duty rod , LR86 / LR88 would be the better choise , these rods will cast 60 gr. lure to quite a distance , with wind behind you .

Jon .