Tough day off CC

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Albiemanmike, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Well I put together a quicky trip up to chase the toona yesterday. We did a bunch of rigging the night before and just had all sorts of problems rigging up my buddies rods. He got some JB Hollow and I was rigging him up with some windon's but I don't have the needles yet so i was using my sewing needles. They work perfect for splicing the braid into the JB but getting the 100 lb. leader into the braid is a nightmare. The JB he got was supposed to be 100 lb. but I think it was only 80 lb. as it was extremely difficult threading the mono into the hollow braid. Finally just gave up and used bimini/Uni connection as the JB kept getting all torn up attempting to get it threaded with the mono. I am going to order the needle kit from Charkbait to make this easy.

As for the report. Really nothing to report other than lot's of fog, bait, birds and whales. We had one monster giant BFT chase a bluefish right into the side of the boat as we watched in amazement. I didn't see the BFT but did see the bluefish and he wasn't looking very comfortable with the situation. The BFT according to my fishin bud was truly a giant with a tail that was several feet wide. The whales were giving quite a show as well. and the amounts of bait were insane. We did have Capt. Dom's assistance in finding all the life but it didn't pan out for him or us. Thanks Cappy D for the calls very much appreciated and will reciprocate in kind when I can. The sea conditions were also somewhat lumpy, in my little 20 ft. CC it was a long ride from Green Harbor to the grounds. 20 mi. in a 20 CC in 2-4's isn't my kind of fun but also wasn't unreasonable just not comfortable.

Also experienced some minor engine troubles with the Honda which was a first in 8 years of trouble free operation. We did get her running again after some impromptu troubleshooting by me on the water. I think I know what the issue is and will be rectifying today. I don't like not having the peace of mind of a trouble free engine. Looks to be a minor wiring issue with the main battery cables to the engine and as usual the harsh marine environment has reared it ugly head. Shouldn't be a tough fix and i should be good to go shortly. will be back at it again once the weather calms down and the fish get back into a more predictable pattern. Nice to meet GMan as well as Capt. Dom at the ramp at the end of a frustrating day for all of us.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

It was great meeting you in person Mike, I enjoyed our conversations and hopefully we will run into each other again real soon

Glenn

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Well I put together a quicky trip up to chase the toona yesterday. We did a bunch of rigging the night before and just had all sorts of problems rigging up my buddies rods. He got some JB Hollow and I was rigging him up with some windon's but I don't have the needles yet so i was using my sewing needles. They work perfect for splicing the braid into the JB but getting the 100 lb. leader into the braid is a nightmare. The JB he got was supposed to be 100 lb. but I think it was only 80 lb. as it was extremely difficult threading the mono into the hollow braid. Finally just gave up and used bimini/Uni connection as the JB kept getting all torn up attempting to get it threaded with the mono. I am going to order the needle kit from Charkbait to make this easy.

As for the report. Really nothing to report other than lot's of fog, bait, birds and whales. We had one monster giant BFT chase a bluefish right into the side of the boat as we watched in amazement. I didn't see the BFT but did see the bluefish and he wasn't looking very comfortable with the situation. The BFT according to my fishin bud was truly a giant with a tail that was several feet wide. The whales were giving quite a show as well. and the amounts of bait were insane. We did have Capt. Dom's assistance in finding all the life but it didn't pan out for him or us. Thanks Cappy D for the calls very much appreciated and will reciprocate in kind when I can. The sea conditions were also somewhat lumpy, in my little 20 ft. CC it was a long ride from Green Harbor to the grounds. 20 mi. in a 20 CC in 2-4's isn't my kind of fun but also wasn't unreasonable just not comfortable.

Also experienced some minor engine troubles with the Honda which was a first in 8 years of trouble free operation. We did get her running again after some impromptu troubleshooting by me on the water. I think I know what the issue is and will be rectifying today. I don't like not having the peace of mind of a trouble free engine. Looks to be a minor wiring issue with the main battery cables to the engine and as usual the harsh marine environment has reared it ugly head. Shouldn't be a tough fix and i should be good to go shortly. will be back at it again once the weather calms down and the fish get back into a more predictable pattern. Nice to meet GMan as well as Capt. Dom at the ramp at the end of a frustrating day for all of us.

Sorry that the day turned into a bust but the worst day on the water always seems better than a good day at work!

You can thread mono into hollow without the DaHo needles but on a scale of 10, the difficulty reaches 8 or 9 (learned the hard way). Contact Basil at BHP Tackle. He has the right needles and know how. He will get you pointed in the right direction quickly.

4. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Just a note that 80lb hollow JB is actually easier to splice than 100lb due to 16x construction vs 12x for the 100lb. Visually, the 100lb is LESS diameter than the 80lb.

5. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Mike,

Sorry to read about the JB and the lack of tuna. I have the needles you need to let me know if you would like to borrow them.

As Basil said, 80lb is pretty easy to work with, but I've gotten pretty good at 80 - 200lb..

John

6. Albiemanmike

Thanks all that answers my question why the 100 lb. was so much more difficult to splice then the 80 lb. The 80 lb. is so much easier than the 100 lb. and frankly the 100 lb. isn't splicable without the needles IMHO. I did get one rod rigged with the 100 but after that just ran out of patience. I got the motor issue all figured out as I had an issue with the battery cables in the stern. I had re-connected them last season using some heavy duty electrical splice blocks and then sealed them up. Well the sealing job obviously wasn't perfect as water had gotten into the connections and corroded the crap out of the ground connection. The positive was corroded as well but not nearly as bad as the ground. So I re-did the splices after some serious cleaning of the connections and then used dielectric compound and followed that up with some silicone sealer then double wrapped everything with military F4 tape and then finished it with liberal amounts of 3M electrical tape. Should be good to go for quite a long time now. Also had to re-do the trailer lights for the umpteenth time. So everything is back working again without any thing to worry about and I am ready to hit it again.

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice report.
    sorrry to hear about your troubles.
    you will get them next time.

8. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Mike, I'm out at the Cape right now and the amount of bait is absolutely insane! We saw lots of tuna crashing the surface today, but no love. Lots of people giving it a good effort, but everyone was complaining about the lack of a bite. The highlight was a an intense whale show and a 36 pound bass on the jigging rod. The ocean was like a mill pond, although that will change later.

Stinks about the engine trouble but Hondas are excellent. Wiring is a different story! But it sounds like you have that problem solved. Nothing like peace of mind...

9. Albiemanmike

I spoke to Basil this afternoon and ordered my rigging stuff thanks for the tip to call him. Great guy and good to talk to you Basil!