360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 870 but I'm more of a star drag kind of guy. I picked up a torque 200 not long ago and have caught tons of different fish with it. I can't really complain about it, except it catch's a ton of sharks. :D I've always wanted to try a saltiga..
I no longer like my 870 and figure its time to replace her.

Should I try a saltiga, or get another torque?

Figure I would get some other opinions. I really don't see you guys talk much about the torque, is there something I don't know about it?

·
Site Sponsor
1,504 Posts
It is my belief that the Saltiga is superior for tough applications. The Saltiga has been a real performer for me.

·
952 Posts
I use Saltiga 50 to jig for big amberjack and BFT; has worked great. Suggest you upgrade washers and add a superior handle (such as jigging master t-bar); then you have a pimped out conventional jigging reel. :)

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
To replace 870... Saltiga 30T all day long, hands down.

I watched a freshly "upgraded" Torque blow up right in front of me! This was after a few medium fish on the 1st trip after getting it back from repairing the first blow up. (and I think that one may have been on its very first trip!)

Nasty, grinding, metal on metal... Went right back in the case for the rest of the trip and right back to Penn after.

He took it all very well, and I think he still really wants to like that reel. I would have cut off the jig, taken it off the rod, and thrown it as far as I could.

·
717 Posts
The saltiga 30T or Ocea Jigger 4000P either will make you happier than any Accurate and regarding the torque.... well sell it.... its only a matter of time before the POS blows up.

·
518 Posts
The saltiga 30T or Ocea Jigger 4000P either will make you happier than any Accurate and regarding the torque.... well sell it.... its only a matter of time before the POS blows up.

Jason and Stress,
The issue with the "first production run" TRQ300's made in 2006 is well documented, and Penn did an excellent job in taking care of all reported problems [mostly bent spool spindles], and more importantly engineering in a permanent "fix".
I'm certain Penn took care of that problem reel as quickly as possible.
Since that time, the performance has been on par or ahead of other comparable reels, and ALL reels by ALL mfrs. are going to have the occasional issue due to "pushing the envelope".
Really the only complaint I hear on TRQ's in the past few years is regarding the weight.
You are entitled to your opinion, but Joe has had good results with his reel [I've caught 100's of fish w/mine], and making the declaration that its a POS and is only a matter of time is a bit much.

Disclaimer- affiliated
Penn Pro Staffer

·
4,723 Posts
how much drag do a saltiga has? i have a avet mxl and a lx 6.0.what do you guys think.

22lbs of drag stock, but you should be able to safely push 24-25lbs with carbontex drag upgrade.

·
5,457 Posts
Jason and Stress,
The issue with the "first production run" TRQ300's made in 2006 is well documented, and Penn did an excellent job in taking care of all reported problems [mostly bent spool spindles], and more importantly engineering in a permanent "fix".
I'm certain Penn took care of that problem reel as quickly as possible.
Since that time, the performance has been on par or ahead of other comparable reels, and ALL reels by ALL mfrs. are going to have the occasional issue due to "pushing the envelope".
Really the only complaint I hear on TRQ's in the past few years is regarding the weight.
You are entitled to your opinion, but Joe has had good results with his reel [I've caught 100's of fish w/mine], and making the declaration that its a POS and is only a matter of time is a bit much.

Disclaimer- affiliated
Penn Pro Staffer

Thats great, but it was sent to Penn for repairs before the incident Jason saw and on its first outing it went to shit. So if penn has it well documented you would think they knew how to fix the problems.

I would look into a saltiga 30T or Ocea Jigger. Better to stick with proven jigging reels of a proven manufacture IMHO

d-a

·
20 Posts
Joe, please look at the new Jigging Master PE reels also but they are lever too so maybe not for you - IMHO they have raised the bar in a big way. I do know of guys who were sworn star drag fanatics because of binding issues in levers who are now sold on the new JM reels. No binding problems, excellent free spool but all documented in other threads here.

Stars - yup - saltiga/ocea jigger.

·
518 Posts
Thats great, but it was sent to Penn for repairs before the incident Jason saw and on its first outing it went to shit. So if penn has it well documented you would think they knew how to fix the problems.

I would look into a saltiga 30T or Ocea Jigger. Better to stick with proven jigging reels of a proven manufacture IMHO

d-a

Of course I don't know the specifics on that individual case, and he doesn't precisely say, but to issue a blanket condemnation doesn't fit the overall performance of the reels.
"Stuff happens" to ALL reels, there are no exceptions.
Interestingly, the crew members of the San Deigo Long-range fleet see pretty much every brand and model reel on a regular basis, and can tell failure stories that far exceed anything posted here.
Almost to a man, the reel of choice among those boat crewmen in reels of this size category is the Penn 113HN Baja Special.

·
5,457 Posts
Of course I don't know the specifics on that individual case, and he doesn't precisely say, but to issue a blanket condemnation doesn't fit the overall performance of the reels.
"Stuff happens" to ALL reels, there are no exceptions.
Interestingly, the crew members of the San Deigo Long-range fleet see pretty much every brand and model reel on a regular basis, and can tell failure stories that far exceed anything posted here.
Almost to a man, the reel of choice among those boat crewmen in reels of this size category is the Penn 113HN Baja Special.

Considering Its another members here reel and I was with him both times it went to shit and it had went back to Penn between trips, I wouldnt necessarly call that a blanket condemnation.

As for the Baja special, there good HEAVY reels. Not something I look to for a true all day jigging reel in which i dont use the rail.

I tried to stay attracted to Penn reels, there what I started saltwater fishing with and I still have 11 of them, but its very hard when there not producing high quality light weight reels capable of moderately heavy abuse.

d-a

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
The second blowup of that trq300 was on the last OTI Big E trip in November. It had the special upgrade.

I think it was his first fish too. But can't say for sure. I was standing there and it wasn't more than a handfull.

I don't think he was fishing more than 18-20lbs of drag. Typical pump and wind no skulldragging. Fish weren't big enough to even take drag.

And it blew up.

No blanket condemnation here, just relaying what I saw and my opinion on a reel that blows up almost immediately after a factory upgrade. Not very confidence inspiring...

But I do like the Baja Special. Not my first choice if I'm grabbing a bigger reel for a trip, but I have 2 of them. Glad you brought it up!.

·
2,030 Posts
Well I guess I have been lucky with my Torque 200. Knock on wood. Shimano call me the master of disaster, if it can be broken I will do it jigging. I've had my Penn Torque almost a year now and haven't had a single hickup, and hope I don't. I have not cought any monsters on it but i have caught some 40 to 50 # ajs and grouper to the 20's. Other than weight I have been impressed. But hey I am just a hick from Florida so don't pay too much attention to me.

·
518 Posts
Spiney,
I think my point is that you haven't been "lucky"; your experience is much more typical of TRQ owners.
I have a set of 15 of these reels on rods that I loan out as "Demos" aboard San Diego boats, catching a LOT of fish, and have yet to have a single mechanical issue in over a year, plus some of my personal reels go back to early 2007.
Certainly it is disheartening when A reel breaks, especially for the second time, but the overall performance of the reels has been extremely high, and the overwhelming majority of the owners [if they comment at all], comment only on the weight.
As for that weight issue itself, a redesigned [much lighter] TRQ star-drag and lever-drag series will be shown at the ICAST Show in Las Vegas this coming July.

Disclaimer- affiliated
Penn Pro Staffer

·
2,030 Posts
Tunanorth, I appreciate the response but the lighter version won't do me any good because I am just a poor simpleton that loves to jig fish. I won't be buying any reels in the near future, or far future as far as thats concerned unless the economy picks back up.

·
518 Posts
Tunanorth, I appreciate the response but the lighter version won't do me any good because I am just a poor simpleton that loves to jig fish. I won't be buying any reels in the near future, or far future as far as thats concerned unless the economy picks back up.

I feel your pain!

·
2,030 Posts
Tunanorth, When I first got the boat my son and I ran all over the Gulf at least 2 times a week and sometimes 3. Now I always have to find a crew to help with gas, bait, ice and so on to get out. Thats ok though because I have met and fished with some fine folks from here and several other forums I am on. It is great to meet people with like interests and fish with them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts