Torium 20

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by BIGV2832, Jun 24, 2009.

1. BIGV2832

BIGV2832 Senior Member

Hey guys,

I have a torium 20 that over the winter I installed carbontex drag washers. It has been working smooth while cod fishing, but the other day when I was setting my drag to the the 12-15 lb range, as I was pulling line out, the handle was spinning backwards. I heard of the anti-reverse failing on the toriums, but he handle doesn't move backwards on the lighter settings. I am going to try to use this reel for tuna so the drag is very important. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. alantani

alantani Senior Member

call shimano and order up a new anti-reverse roller bearing, a roller bearing inner tube and an anti-reverse dog. when you reinstall the dog, make sure it "grabs" the ratchet gear properly and STAYS there during the remainder of the rebuild. this should restore the anti-reverse system back to it's 18# holding capacity.

3. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

Hey Alan,

I haven't installed the drag washers you sent me yet in my other Thunnus 16000. I will be sure to take some pictures when I do. Thanks for getting them to me quickly. I have a Torium 20 also with carbon drags and haven't had any issues to date. Could happen anytime I suppose.

Joe

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

My torium 20 had the anti reverse go out on the first fish. I sent it to shimano for service and it came back like new. It has been 2 years and i have caught many fish that can pull 20# of drag and havent had a problem since. I often wonder if the quality control is a factor on some of the lower end reels...

5. BIGV2832

BIGV2832 Senior Member

thanks guys ..I'll let you know the results once I get the parts in

6. alantani

alantani Senior Member

can you post the dimensions of these drag washers again? thanks! alan

7. margarita mojo

can you post the dimensions of these drag washers again? thanks! alan

Alan,

Are you talking about for the Thunnus 16000 drag washers?

8. alantani

alantani Senior Member

thank you, yes.......

9. margarita mojo

thank you, yes.......

Here is the number from a past message from you

#6-7000 I think they may be penn washers

10. BIGV2832

BIGV2832 Senior Member

Alright so before I called shimano, I finally got some free time to open the reel an take a look. It seems to me (and I am in no way a pro at this stuff, I'm learning as I go) like it was a combination of a few problems.

1) Too much oil in the reel -- wiped quite a bit of excess out
    2) The inner tube (im having a mental fart right now and do no remember the technical name) was greased and i took all the grease off of it and put it back in
    3) when i installed my carbontex drag washers I accidently put a metal washer (the one with the small circular ridge) upside down, so i changed that back to normal

After doing all this stuff, i still wasn't feeling to confident but i tested it out at 15 pounds of drag and it worked perfect! It was smoother, the handle did not spin backwards, and I was able to max out at 20 #'s of drag. So i'm pretty pumped about it working properly (for now at least ) and taking it with me to Stellwagen tomorrow in the hunt for tuna. thanks guys for your advice, if the problem arises again i will order the parts and replace. thanks again