360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a quick answer to this What is the reason for a top shot??I got a drunk friend telling me there's no need in it

·
406 Posts
well im not gunna pretend that im as experienced as most on this forum but from what i understand a topshot is used when filling a sizable reel with mostly braided line for line capacity, then the top shot is added usually a mono top shot because it is easier to change 50-100 yards of mono on a boat than it is re spooling a full spool and because fishing straight braid i heard if you are jigging changes the action of the jig im not sure if this is all correct info so dont quote me just my opinion.

·
2,924 Posts
As you know, mono has been the choice since the begining of fishing, however with that said fishing equiptment such as reels are becoming smaller and lighter with more power, when this happens line capacity is sacraficed. Braid has become the choice product for spooling the new revolution of reels becuase you can spool a tremendous amount more line on the reel becuase of how thin it is and at a higher line class. example would be approximately 300 yards of 30 lb mono or 500 of 60lb braid.

Braid also has zero stretch therefore you need some impact resistance when a fish hits hence the need for a mono or fluro carbon top shots. Topshots can range based on preference from 1ft-300ft depending on the quarry. You really cant fish straight braid to a hook becuase you will never get a hookset.

On my jigging outfits i use a 6ft mono topshot or leader, on my casting i use alittle longer. On my trolling or chunking setups I will use longer becuase we are targeting larger species and can vary up to 200 yards

Hope that helps

·
208 Posts
As TNK and gman have already explained, when a reel is loaded with 2 types of line, the term "topshot" refers to the outer piece of line--the piece closer to the hook. The term came to be used when anglers began base-loading their reels with braided dyneema or spectra lines. This is usually done to get various benefits of the new, braided lines: (1) more spool capacity [because the braid is stronger at even smaller diameter than mono]; (2) stronger line [same reason]; (3) lighter weight and less drag [for same reason] vs wt and drag of an equal length of mono line allows smaller live baits [sardines] to perform better longer; (4) less stretch than mono [anglers claim they can feel the fish breathe on their bait]; (5) despite its initial cost, braid may be cheaper to maintain [braids are reported to have lasted for 10-12 yrs so far w/o losing strength, suppleness, whereas mono should be discarded regularly, sometimes after a day of fishing b/c of abrasion, stretch, sunlight exposure, etc.]; (6) hollow braids can be spliced at 100% strength, allowing bad [frayed, tangled, discolored, damaged] sections to be removed and good line returned to use w/o knotting the line. There's more, but I think those are the main reasons.

If the braid's so great, why use a topshot? Here are some comon reasons: (1) mono can be more stealthy and fluorocarbon may offer even more stealth, (2) mono sinks better, (3) mono offers shock absorption you may want if you can't get the shock absorption you want from your rod tip or avoid the need for it by backing off the drag; (4) mono is generally more abrasion resistant than braid--many anglers use 10-25 yd mono topshots to take the potential rubs against the hull as a green fish is brought near the boat; (5) using easily removable/changeable topshots allows more fishing flexibility on the water--a quick change from one line class to another; (6) easier to carry multiple topshots ready to use than to carry more reels or more spools of line.

Do you HAVE to use a topshot? No, certainly not for hardheads; but, I don't know experienced fisherman who uses braid w/o a topshot for important fishing (as opposed to just say just catching perch or blackfin because he can or because he needs bait).

·
1,373 Posts
Nobody mentioned a very important reason....Knots
It's much easier to tie solid knots in mono.

·
126 Posts
Sounds like your friend is a bit of a lightweight if he is drunk before 5pm.

But he has a point, if you are using straight mono, you dont need topshots.

You dont need two speed reels either, but they sure are nice and you have to decide if its a want or a need.

·
2,027 Posts
Just read this last night on the crappa... braid is used for line capacity, and the ability of the thinner diameter to create less drag in the water on long runs. (Slices through the water to help prevent hook pull-out). The topshot is added as a "shock absorber".....

I can tie stronger knots in braid, than mono. I trust my knots with braid, more than mono. I dont trust mono, more than braid when it comes to abrasion resistance. Mono is more forgiving. I can feel what the bait is doing with braid- mono loses that feel. My preferred setup is without a topshot, but utilizing the drag more (less drag). I like straight braid to a quality swivel- then the 3-10 foot of mono or flouro leader.

I also tell the deckhand I have braided line on, before they ever grab the line. I try to do this each and every time, so they dont hurt themselves.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Just read this last night on the crappa... braid is used for line capacity, and the ability of the thinner diameter to create less drag in the water on long runs. (Slices through the water to help prevent hook pull-out). The topshot is added as a "shock absorber".....

I can tie stronger knots in braid, than mono. I trust my knots with braid, more than mono. I dont trust mono, more than braid when it comes to abrasion resistance. Mono is more forgiving. I can feel what the bait is doing with braid- mono loses that feel. My preferred setup is without a topshot, but utilizing the drag more (less drag). I like straight braid to a quality swivel- then the 3-10 foot of mono or flouro leader.

I also tell the deckhand I have braided line on, before they ever grab the line. I try to do this each and every time, so they dont hurt themselves.
are you using some kind of super swivel that can pass through the eyes on a cast? Or are you only using this on jigging/chunking setups?

I keep finding reasons not to tie a knot from my braid to a top shot but have still not found a good explination on how to connect mono to hollow braid and hollow braid to mainline braid? if that its how it is suppose to go.

I am trying to figure out the best way for me to connect my topshot. If I hadn't stop to read a littl eon it I would have never thought that my allbright knot was not enough...

·
2,027 Posts
if I have to cast it, I only use a 12-18", 80# flouro leader. Jiggin setup, I use the 80# flouro leader in a 4' length. For chunking, I use a 6-10' leader(depending on how high the boat rails are off the water) in 60# flouro.
But remember, i am still a "grasshopper" and learning as I progress.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
I have done a lote of fishing but have been taught what many might call "old habits" I am new to all of the small reel big fish stuff and some of the riggin that goes along with it.
I just don't really get how this chinese finger cuff thing works that well...
Are there companies that sell these topshot leader pre connected to the braid?
Then all I have to do is do a loop to loop connection?

·
2,027 Posts
Basil Pappas sells "wind-on" topshots that are very good quality. I dont know his website.. might try googling it.

Learn how to "pull a loop" in hollow spectra. its very easy after you do it a couple times. connect them together with 5 turn "cats paw".

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Basil Pappas sells "wind-on" topshots that are very good quality. I dont know his website.. might try googling it.

Learn how to "pull a loop" in hollow spectra. its very easy after you do it a couple times. connect them together with 5 turn "cats paw".
I think I can see how to pull the loop through now.
What is the "ideal" sizes of mono/spectra topshot for YFT?
Is it ok to use mono and spectra of the same breaking strength? It seems that bigger mono would increase the fingercuff effect but make it harder to thread.
I think i will try and make some. I'll just tie one up to some weight and try to lift them off the floor to test strenth i guess.

·
655 Posts
Charkbait has a new kit for connecting the topshot to hollow spectra. It was designed by Gary Sato and involves inserting the mono into the spectra and then crimping it where it comes out. It looks really smooth and is a lot less bulky than a knot.

Sato Custom Tackle

·
208 Posts
. . . I just don't really get how this chinese finger cuff thing works that well... Are there companies that sell these topshot leader pre connected to the braid? . . .

Nothing to worry about. Many of us who now make our own topshots began by buying ready-made. Like gravity, the finger cuff thing works even before you understand it and when you're not thinking about it.

Who sells 'em? Lotsa places. Who makes'em? Basil Pappas (see http://www.bhptackle.com/), an avid angler and a regular contributor to this and many other fishing boards--and a guy who has been generous to show many how to make their own topshots. You could also look at Tournament Cable Co. (see http://www.tournamentcable.com/pgs/); and, there are other manufacturers of topshots using the technology. I think most, if not all, the boats of the San Diego long range fleet will make topshots to order during trips.

Perhaps the most important test of the reliability of chinese finger cuff style topshots in heavy duty fishing service is the repeated use, year after year and boat after boat, of such topshots by the San Diego Long Range fleet.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Wow i have learned so much in a month I almost forgot I posted that...haha

Since the last time I have looked in this post I have ordered hollor braid and made some of my own mono topshots to try out. I had lots of luck with the first round. I was able to break the mono before the finger cuff let go. I few replies from others and on other forums helped me understand how to make them...
Thanks!

·
208 Posts
. . . What is the "ideal" sizes of mono/spectra topshot for YFT? . . .

Some choices are driven by the specific fishing setting. For YFT in the Gulf, it's common to see topshots from 60#-130#; and, when 200# tuna are biting, the San Diego boats urge 120-150# topshots (but not while fishing the kite, which may call for heavier topshots or none at all). What size braid to put with which mono or FlC line size is fairly straightforward--use the smallest braid diameter which allows you to work easily with the mono.

Obviously, the breaking strength of the line selected for a topshot is influenced by the size of the bait, the size of the targeted fish, whether you're on your own marlin cruiser or a head boat with 2-3 dozen others and personal choices about how you like to fish.

The preferred lengths of topshots are also driven in part by personal choices (the fashion has ranged from 100 yds down to 10 yds), but also by considerations such as how deep the fish is likely to be when he's straight up and down at the boat and how much mono you may want to buffer the fish's head shaking at the boat.

How much mono you insert into the braid seems to vary from 3-6 ft.

All the above assumes you're using hollow braid--splicing solid core to hollow-core is a slightly different matter.

·
655 Posts
What do you think a 400lb topshot would be like for a shark rig? Instead of the shock leader to eliminate a crimp and swivel connection to the mainline?

It would only be about 20' or so in case the shark rolled in the line it wouldn't get to the braid.

·
2,924 Posts
I use some of basil's windon 550 mono shark leaders that then connect to my wire leaders. They come with a great aussie swivel. He even makes wind on cable leaders that are coated in plastic for sharking.

check out his site or give him a call

bhp tackle

·
655 Posts
I use some of basil's windon 550 mono shark leaders that then connect to my wire leaders. They come with a great aussie swivel. He even makes wind on cable leaders that are coated in plastic for sharking.

check out his site or give him a call

bhp tackle

thanks for the info! What reels are you using for your shark fishing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts