Top Shot Adhesives?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by emorgan, Apr 23, 2009.

1. emorgan

emorgan Member

Ok, I am a beginner but I am willing to learn from yall's experience. I am wanting to learn how to connect spectra and mono or fluoro. I have the threading needles, 300 yards of 200# Jerry Brown Spectra and some 80# Seguar Flouro. I can do the double over serving of spectra with a small loop to 4 feet and insert the mono just fine.
    Where I have questions is the adhesive to be used and how to use it (which brand do you most people use), since the doubled over spectra is like a sock one inside the other over the mono do you glue only the inner spectra or glue both at the same time? Which adhesive is better for this and why. I will also be serving over the connection to complete it and will the same adhesive be ok to use to seal the serving threads?
    One last question, will the adhesive have any adverse reaction with the mono if it touches it anywhere?

Thanks, Emorgan

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Ok, I am a beginner but I am willing to learn from yall's experience. I am wanting to learn how to connect spectra and mono or fluoro. I have the threading needles, 300 yards of 200# Jerry Brown Spectra and some 80# Seguar Flouro. I can do the double over serving of spectra with a small loop to 4 feet and insert the mono just fine.
    Where I have questions is the adhesive to be used and how to use it (which brand do you most people use), since the doubled over spectra is like a sock one inside the other over the mono do you glue only the inner spectra or glue both at the same time? Which adhesive is better for this and why. I will also be serving over the connection to complete it and will the same adhesive be ok to use to seal the serving threads?
    One last question, will the adhesive have any adverse reaction with the mono if it touches it anywhere?

Thanks, Emorgan
    How far are you planning to insert the mono/fluoro?

BHP Tackle sells a Spectra activator and Spectra glue made by Jerry Brown Industries. You want to use this product, IMO. The reason is that although you don't need to glue the SERVE, it will creep if it's not glued.

The reason you want the activator is because without activation, glues don't stick to Spectra (it's like Teflon), even though the glue will stick to the mono/fluoro.

When you're done, you want the Spectra glued to the mono/fluoro just where you make the SERVE wraps. If you contact BHP they can tell you how to apply the glue.

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

It's best to use 100lb or 130 lb JB Hollow braid for your 80lb seaguar flouro, 100lb hollow fits perfect. I find that the 200# hollow braid to be loose when joined to smaller diameter mono/flouro lines.

You can use any of the following adhesives sold on Basil's site, I use Loctite 406 for mine cause I'm lazy :D

Spectra Adhesives :: Wind-On Leader Tools :: BHP Tackle

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I use the correct JB glue and activator.
    I agree that 200 lb is too big for 80 lb seguar flouro.

5. emorgan

emorgan Member

Thank you all for the information, It helps alot to have access to the information that you all have and it is nice to know that you all don't mind sharing your knowledge with someone new.

Regards Emorgan

6. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

i have had good luck so far with "zap-a-gap" the pink bottle

7. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I'll go a little further with my advice...

Break what you make and measure what it took to break it. This will yield much confidence in your ability to make a quality top shot.

Destructive testing is a good thang.

8. Grimes200

Grimes200 Junior member

Tinkering with making wind-ons as well. I made a couple with standard super glue to provide additional hold between the mono/floro and specta (80# floro to 130# JB). Seemed to work fine. Break tested each one and never had any slipage or failures. Each time the center of the floro gave way first.

Is there any issues with just superglue?

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I haven't had any issues with using superglue myself. The mono/flouro breaks before my connection/serve gives.

10. pametfisher

Tinkering with making wind-ons as well. I made a couple with standard super glue to provide additional hold between the mono/floro and specta (80# floro to 130# JB). Seemed to work fine. Break tested each one and never had any slipage or failures. Each time the center of the floro gave way first.

Is there any issues with just superglue?

Superglue doesn't adhere to Spectra but it does adhere to Nylon and Fluorocarbon. So if you add just a thin (like JB or Loctite 406) cyanoacrylate to your serve what happens is the glue saturates the Spectra without adhering to it and then sticks to the monofilament. The glue is then surrounding all the fibers of the Spectra so you get a sort of honeycomb effect.

Here's a photo I came across of what can happen when the Serve doesn't hold, below, since the monofilament wants to stretch more than the Spectra.

One more comment, even if you don't glue them at all, you can insert mono into Spectra and it holds perfectly well, it's just that the Serve creeps as you add and release load because of the difference in stretch I mentioned. To test how much insertion is needed for the Finger Trap to work, I serve the connection with a rubber band.

That's a long answer to say you're okay, but for the very best adhesion use the activator and then cyanoacrylate.

Attached Files:

11. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I use the pink ZAP but first a little Pliobond on the loose ends of the spectra.

You may want to check with Basil at BHP Tackle about using 200lb HC with 80lb mono.. I use 80lb.HC with mono from 60lb-100lb. I believe 80lb HC breaks at around 100lbs..

12. emorgan

emorgan Member

Where can Loctite 406 be purchased from? Home Depot or Lowes maybe. Thanks for all the great information, this has already answered a lot of my questions.

Emorgan

13. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

200lb HC is too large for 80lb mono. You should be using 80lb or 130lb hollow for 80lb mono.

14. pametfisher

Where can Loctite 406 be purchased from? Home Depot or Lowes maybe. Thanks for all the great information, this has already answered a lot of my questions.

Emorgan

Although I use Loctite 406 for knots (amazon.com), for SERVES I use the JB product from BHP Tackle.