360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I went hunting with Don Koenig out of Bandera this morning. We had a great time and are very pleased. Don is a fine guide and the land he and his father own have some nice animals on it. All told it is over 500 acres, it is high fenced to keep the axis in but they are not hand fed or tame by any means. I don't know if there are any monster silver or gold medal bucks on the place (didn't see any) but these 2 are representative of what we did see. For being our first time to hunt axis, we are happy. My brother is the one in fatigues. Mine had 30" beams with an inside spread of 28". His had the same spread but a bit more mass to the beams and an extra half inch in length. The brow tines on mine were a bit better, and he was a fair bit heavier (kinda, uh like me I guess). We are both having wall pedastal mounts done by Jet's Taxidermy in Kerrville. As I said, the bucks might not be monsters - but they aren't bad either. And for the price, I haven't found anything better - $750.

If anyone is interested in hunting with Don, PM me for his info. He isn't a hunting service or anything like that per se. Don and his father are the owners of the land. The axis have not been hunted in some time and they are thinning the heard.

Again we were very happy with the hunt, Don is very professional and personable - and there was alot of wildlife for my son to watch.

Earl

Attachments

·
1,699 Posts
Congrats to you and your Bro, Earl!! those will put some meat in the freezer and make some nice mounts, as well.

·
1,699 Posts
I had one Axis hide tanned and placed it in my bar.:)

Daannnng!!! you are serious about your alcohol...... Nice bar by the way..:eek:

·
734 Posts
Good looking axis deer,real tasty also,lots better than whitetale.
Mr.Bill I dont see any red wine at your bar,fried axis medallion and
red zinfaldel ,boyyy...

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang Mr Bill, nice bar - I like the axis rug like that. When we visited the taxidermist he had several done up. I definitely want to do that too sometime.

Earl

·
2,835 Posts
Mr.Bill I dont see any red wine at your bar,fried axis medallion and
red zinfaldel ,boyyy...

I'm not into wines. I do however keep over 200 bottles of good high quality hard stuff on hand.:D I only wish I had more free time to enjoy drinking. Collecting booze can be more expensive than fishing gear.:eek:

I do have a basement that would be perfect for a wine cellar. Problem is that when we get heavy rains, the basement will fill up with water. I've seen it over 6 feet deep. Sump pump will pump out over 300 gallons a minute, but that's not fast enough.:mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts