too limber

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by 2busy, Jun 18, 2008.

1. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

would you consider the seeker 660XH rod too light for the avet 4/0. i know it worked good with the LX 6/3 ,but not sure about a larger reel. plan on using 80 lb braid with topshot.

2. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

76 views and no replys.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

go to bloodydecks.com and post this question on the avet forum and you will get many replies. i personally havent used that rod but have both of those reels. the west coast guys are seeker and calstar enthusiasts, you will get your answer.

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

That rod will work fine with that reel. Everything depends on the amount of drag your using.

5. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

I'm mainly worried about it bottoming out and not having enough backbone to pull a fish from structure.it just seems to be a little light for that.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

The best I did with one was a 70# amberjack.

7. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

I'm mainly worried about it bottoming out and not having enough backbone to pull a fish from structure.it just seems to be a little light for that.

Haven't used the rod or the reel; but, I can read the specs and I do know a little about GOM AJ's

Using the mfr's data for the rod (not always reliable), it is suggested for 60# line service. (Picking just one of many sites with the info:)
    Hi's Tackle Box: Fishing Tackle, Rods, Reels, Lures, Lines And Accessories.

That means 15-25# drag, which we'll assume your reel will provide in good, smooth fashion. But, that does not mean you should expect to be in control of your fish at the high end of that drag range. With luck, you might land your oversize, structure-loving AJ with no more rod than that; it depends on how close he is to structure and which way he happens to turn. Can you enjoy fishing a 60# rig, sure. And, if it's what you've got; that's what you use. You may get a fine AJ and a great story. Jerry's 70# AJ shows what you can do and would be a great catch on that tackle.

But, if you're looking for an excuse to get a heavier rig, pulling donkeys off structure is your excuse.

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I have a 660XH and had a Avet 4/0 for it. The rod worked fine. That is a very nice blank and it is fiberglass. You can bend that sucker in half and it won't break. It has a pretty parabolic bend, so just keep pulling harder and harder IMO. It has plenty of backbone for that reel.

I'm pretty amazed you used a LX 6/3 with it. I would think the 660XH is much more rod than what a LX 6/3 would need.

Have fun and catch some fish. It will work well.

9. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

I used the lx spooled with 65 braid and 50lb mono. i was going with the supposed sweetspot (50) rating on the rod. At it was my all purpose rig.

Being that funds are short i was trying to find out if i could get by with that rod and the 4/0. I'm just getting a little gear at a time and need to buy other stuff besides another rod right now.Thanks.

10. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

"too limber" ?????

that's what she said

I'm mainly worried about it bottoming out and not having enough backbone.

:eek: ............ maybe "limber" is best

:D

:rolleyes:

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

It'll work just change to 130 JB hollow and swap top shots as needed.