tog/seabass rod choices

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Depraved, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

Hi im kinda new to boat fishing but i do alot of surf fishing.
    Im just starting to get into party boat fishing and looking for recommendations for an 8ft rod for tog/seabass/bait rod
    I was thinking maybe a calstar 800m or a seeker 670 or are there better options trying to keep it under $250... Thanks for any and all advice

2. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Calstar " L " may be a better choice..The M is on the heavy side for seabass & blackfish.....The seeker 670 to soft in the tip I would go with the Seeker BCBW8098T.....

3. Tunaman40

Tunaman40 Junior member

I have a Calstar 700L with a shimano Torium 20. Sweet combo for sea bass and tog ;)

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

GFX800M would be a good choice. I have a 700L i use for fluking which i think is too light for toggin. Best option would be to try bending some blanks or rods to see what your thoughts are. 700L with 10oz of lead its way too noodled already

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i think the M would be a good choice for PB and bait..

there is a lami only comes in blank not built rod..we use for toggin and seabass
    i used it this year for tiles and grouper in NC

6. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

The M is a 20-50 blank ...You guys fish way to heavy....The L 15-30 lb is to light try the ML...20-30.........

7. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

Thanks for the input :)

8. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

The factory Calstars are not built for bottom fishing. Granted, if you don't do much Blackfishing you're not going to know the difference. There's also a big difference between teh 700L, and 800L. THere's also a really big difference in the original 800L's which were first used for Blackfish by the guys on the Ocean Eagle, and the current 800L's that Calstar is selling. There is a lot more glass in the tip now, they have a lighter action and less power. Just this week I found out abotu teh diffference, as I have teh original rods ECNEwellMan wrote abotu on Noreast adn I was making a set of backups - I couldn't get teh blanks to match action and power wise, even after cutting 4" off teh tip.

Since you are lookign for a rod to use for Sea Bass as well, teh CAlstar M is not even close. Some people like the M for BLackfishing, I don't, but to each tehir own.

IF you posted where you were fishing from, it might help - Montauk, Sheepshead Bay, DEleware, etc. Also 8' imo is too long for a Party Boat rod. If you are just getting into it, you're going to want smething 6-8" shorter, btu if you go the factory route, you pretty much do not have a choice.

9. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

The factory Calstars are not built for bottom fishing. Granted, if you don't do much Blackfishing you're not going to know the difference. There's also a big difference between teh 700L, and 800L. THere's also a really big difference in the original 800L's which were first used for Blackfish by the guys on the Ocean Eagle, and the current 800L's that Calstar is selling. There is a lot more glass in the tip now, they have a lighter action and less power. Just this week I found out abotu teh diffference, as I have teh original rods ECNEwellMan wrote abotu on Noreast adn I was making a set of backups - I couldn't get teh blanks to match action and power wise, even after cutting 4" off teh tip.

Since you are lookign for a rod to use for Sea Bass as well, teh CAlstar M is not even close. Some people like the M for BLackfishing, I don't, but to each tehir own.

IF you posted where you were fishing from, it might help - Montauk, Sheepshead Bay, DEleware, etc. Also 8' imo is too long for a Party Boat rod. If you are just getting into it, you're going to want smething 6-8" shorter, btu if you go the factory route, you pretty much do not have a choice.

I have fished the Calstar GFX700L for bottom fishing for ten years..Its a great rod & I have landed blackfish to 10lbs on it in water to 110'..( its a custom Flynn rod )

With that said the GFX was design for eastcoast bottom fishing..I do agree with B40 that there are better blanks ( GUSA PURC70M & MH )...But for a off the rack rod its one of the best...I also agree that 8' it to long & the M is to heavy...As far a the difference with the old & new blanks yes they did change them....I found that the new GFX have less glass in them about and inch & a half..But thats a 10 year old blank & one I got in the past few weeks..And thats the GFX700L I havent check others models..

I dont doubt Billy ..He is very accurate when it comes to building rod's this is just my opinion...

10. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

I would be fishing out of oc maryland. I mostly do snapper/grouper trips but trying to get into tog/seabass fishing since thats whats close to me and doesnt take 6+ hour to get to. If you think 8ft is too long what would you think about the 700m or 700mL or also i saw a custom rod on jamestackle that they call the tog killer or something like that but its cheaper than the calstar so im kind of hesitant about it.

Thanks for your input

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

depraved check out the rods if you can and bend them. Everyone's preference is different. the 700L for me is nothing more than a porgy and fluke rod. 10 or 12 oz of lead hanging off this rod is not ideal. Check it out for yourself and make your decision.

12. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

depraved check out the rods if you can and bend them. Everyone's preference is different. the 700L for me is nothing more than a porgy and fluke rod. 10 or 12 oz of lead hanging off this rod is not ideal. Check it out for yourself and make your decision.

the only problem with that is lack of stores in my area that carry these products.

13. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I know that a halibut is just a big fluke but...Go on the calstar site & see for yourself...IGFA ladies world record 285lb halibut on 20lb test with a Calstar 700L rod..

Now if the "L" can land a 285lb halibut do you think it can handle a 3-10 lb blackfish..

The best thing I think you can do is save 75-100 dollars more & have a custom 800L built..You can cut the tip & butt to fit your needs..

I would also take a look at the Seeker I poster I built four of them for blackfishing...Three were for commercial pinhookers..

Find a local rod builder that fishes your waters & have him or her build you a rod..

Good Luck...

14. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I am with you 100% I have a 800L thats been we trimmed an inch off the tip and 8" off the butt. Its my deepwater fluke/porgy rod as well as my open bottom shallow water blackfish rod. I was using 6ozs the other day and hooked up a aprox 4lb seabass and a 2lb porgy the rod was bent in half. I dont think I would want a 15lb blackfish on the end. It would be fine if it was open bottom the rod has a ton of backbone but not enough to keep em out of the rocks-IMO I have since than had a 700M built that I feel much more confident using for tog.-JMO

It does make sense what Billy said that they are not the same as a few years back, thats why there are so many conflicting opinions about what to the L can do and cant do.

15. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Rich I forgot to mention this to you the other day. I felt Ivan's old deckhand 800L. That rod is stiffer then my 800L with an inch off the tip and its also heavier than my 700M that you built me. Its a nite and day differance???

16. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Rich I forgot to mention this to you the other day. I felt Ivan's old deckhand 800L. That rod is stiffer then my 800L with an inch off the tip and its also heavier than my 700M that you built me. Its a nite and day differance???

I put a reel seat on that rod for him..I felt it I dont think its a L....I know what the builder put on it but I think its wrong...It feels like an old M....

Did you get a chance to feel the GUSA I made him now thats some rod.....

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The best blank for tog which tog pros use is Lamglas MB1143F. It is very light as it is S glass, but very strong and sensitive.
    Seeker BA20/30 is good for tog and deepwater seabass if you don't mind the weight.
    Many fishermen like GLoomis rods/blansk rated to 30 - 40 bls for its light weight and sensitivity.

[​IMG]

18. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I put a reel seat on that rod for him..I felt it I dont think its a L....I know what the builder put on it but I think its wrong...It feels like an old M....

Did you get a chance to feel the GUSA I made him now thats some rod.....

Did I feel the Gusa? ..... I was gonna try and take it when he wasn't looking-LOL Besides the magnificient art work, that blank is killer. He had 4 -3lb sea bass on the rod at once. No problem ! I want 1!

19. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I built one for another guy he had a 12+ pound blackfish on it no problem..

Good news we may see some new blanks soon...Not GUSA but???????????

I have a Gusa Composite order coming in, this is the last one ..its costing me but their worth it..Only a few blanks.....

I'll keep you posted....... ..

20. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

The best blank for tog which tog pros use is Lamglas MB1143F. It is very light as it is S glass, but very strong and sensitive.
    Seeker BA20/30 is good for tog and deepwater seabass if you don't mind the weight.
    Many fishermen like GLoomis rods/blansk rated to 30 - 40 bls for its light weight and sensitivity.

[​IMG]
    love that LAMI rod for toggin, usually use the eglass.
    either are nice,
    togging starting soon..next week

21. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

togging starting soon..next week
    NJ guys are waiting opening days on 11-16, but excellent togging is going on NY, CT and RI now.
    I just have to postpone togging trips as bluefin don't want to leave now. :p