Tog, or bottom fishing boat rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Enoch, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

hi all.

I was thinking since I'm in search for a perfect TOG or (blackfish/bottom fish like snapper) and most of the east coast guys did experiance some sort of tog fishing growing up on the NJ/NY/DE coast this question can pertain to their insights...

I was looking at getting a tog rod in addition to my st. croix 76mhf muskie rod
    I was looking at a mod-fast action rod with good tip flexibility.

nothing hi-modulus. more parabolic like tuna popping rods

I want to try for a spinning rod. But you can recommend a conventional, that is what I'm used to.

the 7'6" blank would be a target, I just want something 7'2"-7'9" Any thoughts? I know there are a plethora of "other" non-tuna rods out there to recommend as well.

Any rod builders feel free to chime in... :cool:

THANK YOU

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I would look at the OTI 50lb popping rod.

d-a

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

hmm.

There is possibly 2 types of rods I was thinking about.

A jigwrex/JM terminator type price/length/rating

or

typical NE coast boat rod. long and muskie rod type action, or long and custom honey lami type action...

If it helps, my stowaway saltiga 15 would be the reel to sit on the conventional rod...spinning rod, im not sure of yet.

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

5. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

MB 114 3F with a 12 Tip, Calstar GF 700M, GFX700L (if youre going to use sinkers 8oz or lighter only), GUSA 70 Mega Mag, 76 Mega Mag

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

MB 114 3F with a 12 Tip, Calstar GF 700M, GFX700L (if youre going to use sinkers 8oz or lighter only), GUSA 70 Mega Mag, 76 Mega Mag
    yep, great choice..thats what that Ocea Jigger is sitting on, the 1143F. 12tip
    sweet rods,

i also have the 80megas..but he said he didnt want hi-modulus.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

OTI will be coming out with some inshore rods in the future as well.

8. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

the calstars mentioned would be a good choice. also, check out the super seeker's - XL inshore heavy would be a good choice. it's about 7'4". i believe billy vivona is selling some built to grumpy's in NJ. you can also get them spiraled, which i would strongly suggest for anything for bottom fishing.

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f37/ocea-jigger-1500nr-tog-stick-3489/

this is popular tog stick on the east coast.
    i have a 12 tip and a 8 tip here if you want to see them.
    plus the blanks to build,

i also have a few other blanks that would be good choices.

Paul, I have my stowaway Daiwa Saltiga 15 that is soo very minty new and been neglected by me. Perhaps I can unload it for the jigger. But, the rod is the main focus now.

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Peter, I'm thinking 8oz to 10oz. The boat fishing Ive done has never lead me to use more than 12oz to hold bottom.

oh man, we are digressing from the OTI! haha I was recommened some seeker blanks from a guy named SeaIsleMike. he wraps rods but I don't know him...

Bret,

I suppose I can wait, its not like TOG are hitting non-stop right now... This is my project rod since Ive neglected inshore species this year :D

11. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Lamiglas Tri-Flex Series

BL7030C (Foam Grips)

or

TFX7030CT/TFX7040CT (Cork Grips)

Why use OTI/Super Seekers/etc. when Lami designed these rods specifically for NE blackfishing??

12. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

The TFX for me have way too much of a fast action, esp if enoch is looking for something more parabolic. Honestly MB 114 3F, you cant go wrong. Blanks are not overpriced, and at a 12 tip you end up with a nice length i think 8ft or 7'6, but in any case you can trim from the butt to get to the size you want.

The OTI is way too much rod for black fish.

Ideally If you can find a cape fear thats my favorite blackfish rod. I was lucky enough to find one right before they went out of business. Advance Tech rated fro 17-40lbs. perfect tog rod.

13. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Paul, I have my stowaway Daiwa Saltiga 15 that is soo very minty new and been neglected by me. Perhaps I can unload it for the jigger. But, the rod is the main focus now.
    the rod is the main focus of my post.
    i dont really care if i sell reels.

a lami 1143F tog stick
    this is a 12 tip. the one in the pic.
    i have a 9 tip..Black wrapped
    and blanks to cut any tip.

bring your 15 salti see how they fit.

the OJ is perfect for seabass and stuff.
    but i use a calcutta 400Te on my lami 1143F for tog. and fluking

14. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I do a lot of Tog fishing. You do not have to spend OTI type money for a Tog rod.

I have many rods in my arsenal, but have reverted to a $40 BassPro Muskie rod to do the job. IM6 Graphite, 6'3" long conventional. If you go to Noreast.com they refer to this rod as the "Lep" stick as a guy there, Leprauchan, found it to be a great deal.

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I know nothing about Tog fishing.
    What is the average size Tog?
    How do they taste?
    When is the season?
    What is the daily limit?

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

The OTI is way too much rod for black fish.

there are inshore rods coming out - not the 7'6" 50 or 80lb popping rods. new rods will be designed for inshore. stripers, sea bass, fluke, tog, etc.

17. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Approx. 2 to 5lbs - a 10lber would be a nice catch.

How do they taste?

IMHO excellent

When is the season?

In NJ its currently July 15th to April 30th.

What is the daily limit?

In NJ...
    1 Fish from July 15th to November 15th
    8 Fish from November 16th to December 31st
    4 Fish from January 1st to April 30th

Tog fishing is really unlike any other fishing. They live in wrecks, rocks, reefs, and rubble and require quite a bit of a learning curve before you understand how to "feel" around the structure, "learn" the way they bite, and know exactly when to set the hook and pull them away from their lair before they take you in. It is one of the few fisheries where skill significantly overpowers luck. I love tog fishing for these reasons. It is a kind of fishing that nobody really ever becomes an expert at, no matter how good you think you are. They are a wary, wiley, perculiar fish with habits that will leave you scratching your head sometimes. With tog fishing, every day is a new day and you usually need to start from scratch to figure out where, when, and how they will be biting each day. From spot to spot, tide to tide, hour to hour, they can change there ways so you can be constantly on your toes trying to zone in on how to catch them. Can you tell I'm obsessed with these bottom dwelling, prehistoric looking critters?! :)

This one was 9 lbs.

Attached Files:

18. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

How do they taste?
    When is the season?
    What is the daily limit?
    avg size. maybe 5-6#
    some get over 20# (not many)
    they taste good,
    have sorta crab taste.
    they have more meat when fileted than a black seabass.
    they can be caught around rocks (jettys) , bridges, most anytime.
    we usually fish 60-120ft water around wrecks,debris fieds...we usually use 6-8oz weight, mosty crab for bait.
    the season for us start right after thanksgiving, till mid dec if weather is good.
    limit is i think 6 for jersey at 14",they have different limits at different time of year. i think its closed now.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

sashimi is excellent :)

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

If they average around 5#'s, then the Leprechaun rod should do the trick.:)
    I guess a calcutta 400 would be a inexpensive conventional tog reel to match with the Leprechaun rod. Just toss it in the truck and fish it.

I've been thinking about buying a Stella 2500 just for snapper fishing.
    I'm still searching for the right rod. Since our average snapper now is around 8
    pounds, I'm looking for a 125g rod. The guys I fished with from France had this great little jigging rod that was wonderful for catching bonito's. They had a little Daiwa Certa around 1500 size mounted on it. He said he would get me a couple when he comes to Texas in September.:) I can't wait that long.

Just curious, is the Leprechaun guy for real or just an imaginary character?

21. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Tog fishing is really unlike any other fishing. It is a kind of fishing that nobody really ever becomes an expert at, no matter how good you think you are. They are a wary, wiley, perculiar fish with habits that will leave you scratching your head sometimes. With tog fishing, every day is a new day and you usually need to start from scratch to figure out where, when, and how they will be biting each day. From spot to spot, tide to tide, hour to hour, they can change there ways so you can be constantly on your toes trying to zone in on how to catch them. :) .

So in other words, Tog fishing is similar to a woman.:D :D :D :D :D

22. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

So in other words, Tog fishing is similar to a woman.:D :D :D :D :D

YES! I've heard that mentioned many times lol!

23. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I guess a calcutta 400 would be a inexpensive conventional tog reel to match with the Leprechaun rod.

It would work but baitcasters would not be my recommendation. I like something that feels a little more rugged and powerful when togging. This isn't fancy fishing. A lot of people do great with Penn Jigmasters and straight 30LB mono because it's having the skill rather than the tackle/luck that will bring success.

Just curious, is the Leprechaun guy for real or just an imaginary character?

Real.