tog/grouper combo, I love it.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

11-26 Tog trip out of Cape May

I left my home around 4:00 am for togging on Wed and grouper fishing on Thurs. When we left Cape May Inlet, bites would be very slow as there were big waves from SW and water was pretty dirty.
    When we got to Cape May Reefs, we were the only boat out there. 8*
    However to my surprise, we had constant bites throughout the day once we got good bottom. After limited out, we started to release many keepers. I might had about 20 keepers myself. I was thinking about useing smaller jigs, but I kept using crab as it worked so good. :)
    There were all mixed sizes upto 8 - 9 lbs.

Capt Mike hold double header.
    [​IMG]

Capt Mike and Willy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11-27 Grouper fishing in NC
    After fishing tog in Cape May, NJ, I continued to drive down for NC.
    I arrived at the dock by 4:00 am and had a couple of hours sleep in my car until Capt woke me up around 6:30 am.
    When I asked Joe hwo far we go as we left the inlet. He said with a big smile that it is only 8 miles and we catch nice gag grouper within sight of land :)

I decided not to use my favorite hammered diamond jigs as I wanted to experiment other jigs for grouper.
    I dropped 5 oz Octopus jig from Norway. The jigs look good for halibut and grouper as halibut and grouper love octopus.
    I had a nice keeper grouper on the Octopus jig on the first drop !
    I had two keeper gag grouper and two shorts within half hour.
    I thought I finally found a grouper killer jig. But grouper didn't hit the jig any more. They must smelled bait. I had a few pictues of grouper on the Octopus jigs, but unfortunately all pictures were blur.

-my new grouper jig, Octopus jig. I replaced the treble hook and slit ling with Gamatatsu Siwash single hook and Owner split ring size 8.
    [​IMG]

Next, I switched to 6 oz Shimano Flat- Side jig. Flat-Side jigs work great for me for tuna and cod. It was not good test for the jig as bites were slowed donw considerabley when I used the jigs. I had a keeper gag grouepr on it.

While playing with baits for a while, I used 6 oz Solvkroken Stainless Viking jig from Norway. A friend of mine caught three black groupers upt 55 lbs using 9 oz Solvkrokne Stainless jig on a party boat out of Panama City, Fl years ago.
    While casting out and working botom as we do cod jigging, I had a nice keeper gag grouper and dropped a bigger one. So I continued to use the jig until fishing was over. They final tally with the jig was 2 keeper gag grouper and one short.

a gag caught on 6 oz Solvkroken Viking jig.
    [​IMG]

Some say it is not difficult to catch groupers on jigs, but I alwayas have to work hard to catch them on jigs though they really respond to jigs in some areas. 5 keeper out of 8 caught on jgis are not bad, but you know it was not great catch either when you see our (three) catches yesterday. :)
    [​IMG]

I am going to expedriment bucktaisl for grouper on next trip.

2. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

this is what ive been using for grouper latley. this is a small version but i have some up to 6 0z. they love them.
    [​IMG]

3. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

great report Kil!!! I knew the Holidays wouldn't slow you down one bit lol

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

great report Kil!!! I knew the Holidays wouldn't slow you down one bit lol
    Brian, I found fish don't have Holidays. :)

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

""I found fish don't have Holidays"

That should copyrighted and placed on T-shirts.:)

6. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

gotta love the suicide runs great report btw

7. stresst

stresst Senior Member

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice report on the tog and grouper fishing kil

9. NEMO

NEMO Member

A Grouper sandwich sounds good to me now after all that Turkey. Great report Kil, I really love reading your reports.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that octopus jig is a cool looking jig. i might pick a few up for when we fish for cod and seabass next month. i'm not too surprised the solvkroken worked, but its good to know since i've got several and haven't used them in the gulf yet.

I can't believe you guys caught so many tog!!!!! :).....we had a really slow day, but its fun. i will admit that tog are probably the hardest fish to hook that i've ever experienced. it is pretty addicting fishing...if you dont concentrate for one second, they'll take your bait and spit the hook. its a lot of fun.

it looks like you guys did very well on the gags too. what bait does the capt normally use?

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

that octopus jig is a cool looking jig. i might pick a few up for when we fish for cod and seabass next month. i'm not too surprised the solvkroken worked, but its good to know since i've got several and haven't used them in the gulf yet.

I can't believe you guys caught so many tog!!!!! :).....we had a really slow day, but its fun. i will admit that tog are probably the hardest fish to hook that i've ever experienced. it is pretty addicting fishing...if you dont concentrate for one second, they'll take your bait and spit the hook. its a lot of fun.

it looks like you guys did very well on the gags too. what bait does the capt normally use?
    Bret, I arranged the tog boat for you, but I didn't know you were coming with two other guys and it was too late to ask Capt for four fishermen to come. :)

It is general opinion that you master bottom fishing if you master tog fishing.
    It is just a split second tog swallow baited crab and spit only hook. :eek:
    I used to go togging over 50 times a year, but I still didn't master togging. :confused:

I found why Octopus jig worked that day. Capt said there are lots of octopus in the areas. We even got a octopus on bait intended for grouper.
    I'll bring octopus rigs next time twhen fishing in NC, which I bought from Japan for a special order. :)

Here is a grouper caught with Octopus jig which Capt John sent to me.
    Still the picture is not clear.

[​IMG]

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah we all would have loved to go, next time ill let you know farther in advance :)

angelo, nick, my dad and i still had a good time even though we didn't catch a lot of tog. they are so hard to hook, its rewarding when you catch some. it is definitely good practice for grouper!

hopefully the weather is bad on december 20 when i come home next since i want to come by your shop but i know you won't be there if the weather is good enough to fish :) :p

im thinking that those octopus jigs will be good for other fish as well.

was the octopus you guys caught good to eat?

13. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Bret, gimme a call on the 20th if you decide to go to Kil's. I'll be around :)

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bret, gimme a call on the 20th if you decide to go to Kil's. I'll be around :)
    Brian,
    Shipment from Jigging Master is coming soon. If you need anything from JM, let me know and I'll ask them to include in the shipment.

15. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Hi Kil, I tried to send you PM but your box is full! haha, guess it's better to fish than be online!

16. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Brian,
    Shipment from Jigging Master is coming soon. If you need anything from JM, let me know and I'll ask them to include in the shipment.
    Kil I need large jig bag from JM:)

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hi Kil, I tried to send you PM but your box is full! haha, guess it's better to fish than be online!
    I got a notice my box is full. :)
    360tuna should expand box capacity. :)

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil I need large jig bag from JM:)
    I am going to ask JM whether they have 2 page jig bags.

19. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I am going to ask JM whether they have 2 page jig bags.

Hello Kil,

I received my JM jig bag from you. I've 90% filled it. Do they sell additional pages to the bag that I brought?

20. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Count me in for 1 large JM jig bag too Kil, thanks!