TN 16N vs Saltist STTLD30-2SPD

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by al-n-vb757, Nov 6, 2009.

1. al-n-vb757

al-n-vb757 Senior Member

Apples to oranges.. but need some expert advice on my next purchase. Will be targeting 30-50 # class YFT and AJ's on the tin.

Which reel will be best suited for speed jigging 300-400g lures?
    Smooth and effective drag?
    Trouble free.

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I have had a very good experience with several of the last model saltists (trying to sell 2 30s right now to buy more 40s and 50s). I have been looking at the new ones, but I’m not sure about their durability. I played with a few in the shop a week or so ago and felt that the frame/sideplates felt a bit flimsy. I was surprised as I thought they were beefing them up for better drag etc. I also felt the handle was a bit suspect (though easy to change out).

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

For the size fish your targeting, you don't need a lever drag or 2 speed reel. A normal saltist 30 size will work as well as the Trinidad 16N you mention.

d-a

4. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I agree....I have caught 70lb bluefin on the 30 saltists single speeds (not the actual ones I'm selling, but the ones that prompted me to buy em) with no problem. I think they are perfect for that size fish....blackfin are fun on them too.

Mine are still for sale!!! I'm only getting 40s for line capacity to drop deeper in currents for cod etc. They cast quite well and I have several friends that use them as heavy surf reels. All around great reels.

5. al-n-vb757

al-n-vb757 Senior Member

I wound up getting a Saltist 30-2 speed. Lets just say Mrs. Claus reads a few of the fishing forums I belong too..

I caught a small 35lb striper ( live lining an eel ) on the Saltist and was pretty happy with it but since I fished a 30T, I am now more partial to the taller and slimmer reels. I am looking ahead on a few jigging trips that I think the taller and slimmer reels would be more benificial when retreiving and landing a fish. Thats why I have the 2-speed 30 for sale now.

I was really impressed by the smooth drags. Not jerky at all. I did not even have the drags in fully. 2 thumbs up on this little light reel!

6. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

Have the Trinidad TN16N and it's a great reel but IMHO you do not want 6.2 to 1 gears and a 50# fish at the same time. As for the reel it has a great drag and it's very well made but it's not geared for big fish.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Have the Trinidad TN16N and it's a great reel but IMHO you do not want 6.2 to 1 gears and a 50# fish at the same time. As for the reel it has a great drag and it's very well made but it's not geared for big fish.

I guess gear ratio is a matter of personal preference. I like my reels with a higher ratio and haven't seen a need for slower ratios even with 100lb Aj's. I like the fact that I can work a jig faster and when pumping the rod on a fish I'm getting more line in per pump.

If you want a lower ratio look at the Ocea Jigger 1500p.

d-a

8. till

till Senior Member

The saltist 30 II speed is too wide for jigging, look for something where line lay is less of an issue. I have one and I'll probably offload it soon for something a little narrower.

9. MikeF

MikeF Senior Member

thanks but I just bought two new Accurate reels with the lower ratio and the narrow spool.

10. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Which reel will be best suited for speed jigging 300-400g lures?
    Smooth and effective drag?
    Trouble free.

TN40N