TLD 25 line

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by TeamOso, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

OK, 400yds of 65# JB. This is what is on my reel with a bimini twisted loop.
    Loop to loop topshot.
    60# fluorocarbon for tuna at night and 100# mono for AJs.
    25ft long topshots.
    Is this appropiate?????
    If so my only question is what do you do to make the loop on the topshot? Do I do a bimini on that? Or could I crimp the topshot to make a loop?
    Is this OK?
    Now if I use 100# mono, how do I tie a hook on that>?
    Do I just tie a knot with the fluoro topshot also??

Thanks so much for this great site guys, I know these are ignorant questions, but I am very appreciative of yalls help, and so I hope yall dont think Im just trying to hold yalls hands. Im just looking for some info.

Thanks so much. Im hoping some of yall tuna junkies can clear this up:)

Kevin

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

OK, 400yds of 65# JB. This is what is on my reel with a bimini twisted loop.
    Loop to loop topshot.
    60# fluorocarbon for tuna at night and 100# mono for AJs.
    25ft long topshots.
    Is this appropiate?????I think so
    If so my only question is what do you do to make the loop on the topshot? Use hollow spectra to make top-shot or just tie 2 bimini twist and do loop to loop if you have toDo I do a bimini on that? Or could I crimp the topshot to make a loop?
    Is this OK?
    Now if I use 100# mono, how do I tie a hook on that>?Tie a double San Diego knot
    Do I just tie a knot with the fluoro topshot also??Tie a knot for 100# test and under, anything over 100# use crimp

Thanks so much for this great site guys, I know these are ignorant questions, but I am very appreciative of yalls help, and so I hope yall dont think Im just trying to hold yalls hands. Im just looking for some info.

Thanks so much. Im hoping some of yall tuna junkies can clear this up:)

Kevin

Good luck on your trip.

3. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

You can connect the loop to loop using a "Cat's Paw" connection.

It's sort of a weaving of the two loops so that they overlap/intertwine with each other 3-5 times.

Pulled snug slowly, they form a very small and thin connection (depending on the test line).

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kevin,

Please do not consider my advice to be in same league as that of TJ and Tom. Although I have been fishing inshore for 50 years, I am at least as much of a novice as you with regard to offshore. (one of the very few neat things about being old is you no longer worry about being ignorant--you just shamelessly milk all the experts for information that you can! :) )

However, one thing I have done quite a bit of is tying biminis, and I noticed early on through my own testing that you could not acheive 100 percent with Spectra using the normal 20 turns. I managed to dredge up on the internet somewhere that folks were using 30 and even 40 turns. Then, in correspondence with Rick (mcgolfer), I found that he makes his biminis with 40 turns as well.

I wasn't sure you had that information and, subject to the superior advice of our betters on this board, just wanted to throw that out for clarification. Good luck.

Russ

5. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Thanks uncle russ, this is definitely gonna be a trip to learn, so Im not expecting much, but I dont wanna be completely ignorant my first time out. Thanks for the tip considering i dont yet even know how to tie a bimini. Im gonna start collecting all of this on my break, bu right now its hard to focus on grades and this. thanks for the info, I hope yall are on lot between december 20- 28:D

Kevin

6. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

. . . what do you do to make the loop on the topshot? Do I do a bimini on that? Or could I crimp the topshot to make a loop?

. . . Now if I use 100# mono, how do I tie a hook on that? Do I just tie a knot with the fluoro topshot also?

Kevin

0. I assume you have a loop in your main line or can tie one.

EDIT--In many cases, I have been able to pull a loop in non-hollow 65# JB Line One. Something about the way it's spun may allow you to treat it as hollow.

1. Splice the mono or FlC topshot to a 10-12 ft piece of hollow spectra (100# mono fits nicely into 135, 150 or even 200). If you have not done this or seen it done, there are probably lots of guys on this board who live near you (Corpus, right?) who could show it to you. It's really helpful to see this sort of thing done. There are lots of directions online; but, even good directions are hard to follow with full confidence. If volunteers don't pop up, send me a PM or email and I'll connect you with a fishing buddy who has done a lot of this and will take the time and provide the spectra for a few.

2. After step 1, to create the loop in the spectra needed for the loop-to-loop connection, you can either tie it with a knot such as a Bimini twist or Aussie Plait or whatever, or you can pull a loop in the spectra and bury a short tag in the main line. Again, better shown than described.

3. You can attach a FlC tip either by tying it directly to the mono of the topshot or tying or crimping a small 200+ lb steel ring onto the mono and then attaching the FlC to that in the same way. You want a quality steel ring. Buy from a dealer you trust to sell you quality. I have seen some junk in this department; so, be careful. You could also use a swivel, but some guys thing the ring is more stealthy and tuna use their big eyes. You can crimp the 100# very easily if you have the right kind of double-bbl sleeves, swage the crimp to flare the ends and ball the mono. There are fancier things like steel rings with grommets (Charkbait! and others have them; but, I don't think you'll need them.)

4. Attach to hooks either w/a knot--e.g., the San Diego Jam--or by crimping. Your choice. Tying or crimping, you'll develop a set of skills you'll reuse often.

Good luck.