tips for spooling jb hollow on to spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pcww, Nov 5, 2008.

1. pcww

pcww Junior member

I am in the process of switching out the line on my saragosa 18000 and was curious if anyone had any tips for doing it correctly. When using mono I have always just laid the spool on the ground and reeled, if there were any twists in the line I flipped the spool over. Should I use the same process for the hollow braid? thanks

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Drop the spool in a bucket of water and that will help you put it on tight.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I'm a little busy right now, but do a search on these forums for "Uncle Russ's Redneck Method" or something like that. It is undoubtedly the best method available--although some high tech types on here might disagree. :) On second thought, though, if you are planning to cast with the rig, you might prefer solid braid. I have heard it said that the hollow tends to slap the guides.

Russ

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

On second thought, though, if you are planning to cast with the rig, you might prefer solid braid.
    Russ

Agreed, you should be able to cast a little farther with solid. You can use a short piece of hollow on the end to splice in your leader.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

have someone hold the spool tight while you wind it on. it should put a bend i the rod while winding.

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

have someone hold the spool tight while you wind it on. it should put a bend i the rod while winding.

That's what I did for years until the kids grew up. :)
    Although it looks good.
    Don't over fill the reel, When I was getting started with braid.
    I was guilty of this with bad results. It produced wind knots deluxe.

My .02$

Kev

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Agreed, you should be able to cast a little farther with solid. You can use a short piece of hollow on the end to splice in your leader.
    also hollow braid tends to float more than solid. if dropping deep with heavier current, it could slow down the jig a little bit and put you further than you'd like.

8. NEMO

NEMO Member

I always put some mono on 1st just enough to cover the bottom of the spool then tie braid to mono, no slipping, I've seen some guys use tape, I always us a spool bar that adds pressure, good workout. An old tunahead taugh me this, works for me.

9. pcww

pcww Junior member

thanks everybody! being from Mississippi, Russ's redneck method seemed like a natural fit.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

pcww: Actually, coming from Mississippi, you are pretty sophisticated these days. The real rednecks live in Georgia, and those who never learn to read are sent to Louisiana! :) We have a couple of them on this board and, whenever the Falcons win a few games once in a while, they get to thinking they are high-class and high-tech. But the simple ways are still best.

As to using tape or mono or anything like that, it really is unnecessary. Jerry Brown told me what he recommends is just laying a strip of line along the spool and winding a few turns around it under tension would work fine. Since he said that, I have used that method, first putting a strip of tape over it to hold it in place, then wind about twenty turns real tight on top of it (which then lay 90 degrees to the original strip--and you are good to go.

Russ

11. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I was at the local (1\4 mile)Cabelas for lunch again today and heard the
    same from a store clerk , Put a couple of layers of mono on first to stop slippage..
    I almost went around to the other side of the counter to comment
    differently,, But decided it was not my conservation and I did not have
    a tag on my shirt that said. HI my name is Kev and I am an in store tackle expert. :(

Mythbusters will need to help with a show I guess.
    I have pulled off many, many yards of braid line off of several
    reels to remove my mono under wrap as I knew there was
    an ugly mono to spectra knot down there. As a few years ago
    I had been sold that myth....
    Although I have not done this.
    I have thought that if some were still driven to have mono then why not
    take a used cleaned or new wind on leader and reverse wrap it
    and Cats Paw to a braid Bimini?

I do know my braid will not slip on my reels until I get a chance
    to fish. That my friends is problem #1

Kev
    non store clerk:(