Tinidad 40

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ember, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ember

ember Guest

Although she doesnt know it yet,and with any luck never will ;) , my wife is buying me a Trini 40 for Chrstmas. For Cape Cod Bluefin should she go with the narrow or regular width? Im guessing the narrow is going to hold 300 or so of 80 JB? Figure the deepest is like 250 feet,and maybe a biggun' "might" get 100 yards at most out before I get the engine running....the narrow should be plenty?

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Although she doesnt know it yet,and with any luck never will ;) , my wife is buying me a Trini 40 for Chrstmas. For Cape Cod Bluefin should she go with the narrow or regular width? Im guessing the narrow is going to hold 300 or so of 80 JB? Figure the deepest is like 250 feet,and maybe a biggun' "might" get 100 yards at most out before I get the engine running....the narrow should be plenty?
    It depends on your jigging style. If you jig like Japanese style, you'd better to buy 40N, but if you do slow jigging, I'd rather recommed 40.
    Though 300 yard lines are good enogh for most days, there are chances that you might hook up a bigger bluefin over 300 lbs there too.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Figure the deepest is like 250 feet,and maybe a biggun' "might" get 100 yards at most out before I get the engine running....the narrow should be plenty?

if you hook a BIG bluefin on....by the time you start your boat, put it in gear....it'll prob be too late ;)

a couple years ago i got one on bait using 50-lbs mono on a 6/0 reel and 18-20lbs drag. it was decent size, 150-160...but not huge. i was lucky to get it in...very close to spooling me :)

4. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

a couple years ago i got one on bait using 50-lbs mono on a 6/0 reel and 18-20lbs drag. it was decent size, 150-160...but not huge. i was lucky to get it in...very close to spooling me :)

How many yards of 50lb were you able to spool on the 6/0? Was it the wide version?

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think its around 500yards. i dont believe its the wide but cant remember. i havent used it in a while.

6. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

It's the Senator 114HL. About right on the line capacity. Not sure on width, certainly wider than the Baja Special. Good, solid reel, by the way. Heavy, though. With upgraded drags, can get 30 lbs. of drag. Gotta get braid on it.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ok, yeah i didnt think it was wide.

no braid on it at the time - 50lb straight mono. couldnt use as much drag as id have liked so it took quite a while. nice fish though