360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
was wondering if anyone would know drag pressures at strike and full for a Tiburon SST 7540 out of the box? I was looking for some real world figures with respect to maintaining fishing friendly freespool.
Am hoping to use one as a bit of an all rounder with 50lb solid spectra with a short mono/flouro TS and would like to hear if 17lb/24lb is just dreamin'.
Oh yeah - about how much 50lb solid spectra could I hope to spool on?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to work out what model to purchase as my first jump into Tibs.
Regards - Steve.

·
218 Posts
Have one at work that has been used on our rods when taking customers out for the last 12 months. I would say it is set at 10kg for strike most of the time. We have not stripped it down yet as we haven't had any sticky drag problems. Its loaded with 50lb Sunline but not sure how much.
Not the best tool for jigging but can certainly stop em in their tracks when the drag and auto-shift is set up right. The only problem we have come across is the handle coming loose.

Attachments

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nev,
thanks mate for your reply - gotta take note with that sort of action.
Am tossing up between the 3/0 and 2/0 sizes and those pics certainly
help with making my decision. I like to fish as small reel size as possible
and didn't know if the 2/0's were up for it.
Anybody know of capacities as I wouldn't mind giving the school sized
tuna a run aside from live bait/jig yellowtails. Site says 500 main/100 TS
but would rather a short TS and more main - reckon I could get 600
on there?

·
1,553 Posts
I the stock drags are not enough for you, call rich at Tiburon and he'll send you an extra drag washer and tell thw best way to configure the pressure washers to maximize the drag. I got a 17% drag uncrease with it

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kidflex,
thanks man - when adding the extra washer (I assume you mean belville washer) did it effect your freespool? Having the odd jig with it I would
still want good freespool if upgrading.
Kev - did you guys go the upgrade or is that one of yours stock?

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
If you use 50 lbs braid, you don't need drag over 20 lbs.
Anyway, the reel is not comfortable for jigging for some reason.

·
1,553 Posts
Actually you get a flat washer and reconfigure you beville washers. no loss of freespool. The original configuration is ()() which will give you max spacing. With the flat washer the new confiduration is l((() which is a
minute amount more but gives good increase and maintains a good drag curve. If you just add the extra flat washer with original spacing the drag curve is a lot and you will get a loss of freespool.

All Tiburon reels have a factory drag upgrade that's free and easy to do yourself. I have the 7530 model. Each reel
will have it's specific configuration.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah... the good oil kidflex, thanks mate. Have contacted the Tib man and he was great. Prompt reply and they will supply the upgrade if needed.

No this is certainly no pure jigging reel by any stretch of the imagination but my all round application is definitely weighed toward live/chunk/downrig with the odd jig or troll if need be.

20 lb would be good - the high end twenties would be great if possible up at full for short fights if need be. 50lb can handle that with good knots.

Many reasons put this reel lower on the pure jigging contenders list... weight, wide not tall, some don't like conventional to threadline, roll over effect of conventional, bulky design, etc. Have others if just jigging, am looking for an all rounder to suit quick trips with minimal gear.

Thanks again for some great information.

·
1,553 Posts
the 7524 model is very narrow. 7524, 7530, 7540 are the same reel except they get a little wider. tibs wont fail on you. less maintanence and easy to work on yourself. the little increase in drag on those reels go a long way.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kidflex,
thanks again mate - as you can probably tell I am tossing up between the 7530/40 and the 8/12.
Most of my fishing involves inshore yellowtail action using smaller sized reels and the 50lb capacity situation would be no problem as the deepest we fish is 110 yards - more often than not 30 yards and less. For this application the 7530 with the drag upgrade would be perfect for even those hoods that come around from time to time.
I was looking to the 7540 for greater capacity only for those days when we may swing a bit wide if school tuna were around, instead of lugging the 50 wides each outing just in case.
My only other question is why not get the 12 with the drag upgrade allowing appropriate capacity given our tuna runs usually have the odd mid to larger sized model amongst the rats.
Obviously the answer to some maybe to get both and be done with it.... but as you may know we get stung heavily for hardware over here.
I really appreciate your advice, regards - barker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have one at work that has been used on our rods when taking customers out for the last 12 months. I would say it is set at 10kg for strike most of the time. We have not stripped it down yet as we haven't had any sticky drag problems. Its loaded with 50lb Sunline but not sure how much.
Not the best tool for jigging but can certainly stop em in their tracks when the drag and auto-shift is set up right. The only problem we have come across is the handle coming loose.

Off topic BUT that's a hell of a fish!

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure is - that reply from Nev put me in two minds as to what size reel to get.
I really enjoy fighting bigger fish with smaller reels and that is a great example right there. Sure the drag capabilities - strong and smooth, give an advantage but the skill and tactics needed to land a fish like that are something else. Not having to battle a heavy winch makes it all the more fun.
Well done Nev and thanks for opening (messing with my) mind decision wise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts