Tiagra 30's

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Aug 2, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Looking to add a few options to our spread and wondering if it would be sufficient to add a few (probably 4) tiagra 30s. My thinking is that while many of the fish we are seeing this year are Big and Mean, they wont all be like that every year.....unfortunately. Actually, if it was up to me, the majority of fish would be bout 80-100lbs and many more of them.

So, if we are catching 200+ lb fish on penn spinfishers etc, are 30's really outmatched?

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Looking to add a few options to our spread and wondering if it would be sufficient to add a few (probably 4) tiagra 30s. My thinking is that while many of the fish we are seeing this year are Big and Mean, they wont all be like that every year.....unfortunately. Actually, if it was up to me, the majority of fish would be bout 80-100lbs and many more of them.

So, if we are catching 200+ lb fish on penn spinfishers etc, are 30's really outmatched?

Its about line capacity. Can you clear all your trolling lines quicker than the tuna dumps your reel and you get turned towards the fish? Thats what determines a 30 or 50 for me. Both have plenty of Drag for the size leader you will be using.

d-a

3. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

you'll probably be ok.

4. hamptonsurf

I don't typically run a ton of rods and I prefer to fish with 3 or 4 others, so usually clearing lines isn't too big of a deal. I am just thinking that 50w is a bit big when the majority of fish are 80-100

5. hamptonsurf

I guess maybe the TLDII50 would be an option too....much lighter but still good drag and line capacity. I use TLD 25s to troll stripers.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yes a 50 is too big when the fish are normally that size. a30 is fine. as doug said the line is really the only issue. but if you just put 80 or 100lb braid you'll get a ton of line.

7. hamptonsurf

I'm thinking 30w with 100lb hollow should do the trick. Probably go Jerry Brown.

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

I'm thinking 30w with 100lb hollow should do the trick. Probably go Jerry Brown.
    are you planning on fishing 33# of drag? 80 hollow would seem a better choice to me. 26.66 is the "1/3 rule". 26# of drag is a lot.

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

are you planning on fishing 33# of drag? 80 hollow would seem a better choice to me. 26.66 is the "1/3 rule". 26# of drag is a lot.

I'm running 80lb on my Tiagra 16's and haven't had the need to push it past strike.

d-a

10. hamptonsurf

hmmmm, good points all around.