tiagra 30

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Brokejeep, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

Is this a good reel? And whats the max size of line it will hold?

2. fonz

fonz Member

Theres the Narrow and the wide?

3. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

Well heck. Ok. whats the max lb test it can handle in the real world?

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Here's a link to the product at Shimano's page:

Tiagra A

Looks like it does 34 lbs max. There's the standard (TI30A) and wide (TI30WLRSA) version of the TI30.

Is this a good reel? And whats the max size of line it will hold?

It depends on what your application is, pls be more specific. It's too heavy to jig with. These reels are designed for stand-up strapped in big game fighting or sitting in fighting chair.

5. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

Thanks

Thanks I'm new to this and was considering one to jig with. what is a good size to jig with?

6. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

WOW I messed that up.

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

If you're looking for a conventional jigging reel, the Daiwa Saltiga 40 or 50 are good:

Daiwa | Saltwater Convential Reels

or

Shimano Trinidad 40N is a good one as well:

Trinidad

The Alutecnos Gorilla 12 and Accurate 665's are good options as well with the accurate having a 2-speed option:

alutecnos.com
    Accurate Reels

If you're looking for spinning reel setup, the popular ones are Shimano Stellas, Daiwa Saltiga SA-Z, and Accurate TwinSpin:

Stella SW
    Daiwa | Spinning Reels
    Accurate Reels

Of course, you pay for what you get. I pretty much listed high end reels, and cannot consciously recommend anything else to you. Do your shopping around online and research each product on these fishing forums, you'll soon get a feel of what is suitable for your needs from other's experiences with them. Hope that helps! ;)

8. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

I tell you this stuff is confusing it makes my head spin. One companies 30 is too big and the 50 in another is ok. I am wanting a conventional setup as I have a Cabo 80 spinner which is in the shop after one trip and will be getting a Stella one of these days.

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks

Thanks I'm new to this and was considering one to jig with. what is a good size to jig with?
    To answer your question, I would personally choose one of the above mentioned reels to jig with.
    This is the specs for the Tiagra 30
    TI30A 52.4 Oz. High Gear 3.9:1 Low gear 1.7:1

52 ouncs is a lot of weight to jig with all day.
    On the scat cat I was jigging with an Accurate B2 665 Narrow. It is light enough for me to jig with and not get tired so easily. The low gear is also nice if you hook onto something big.
    The 3.9:1 gear ratio on the Tiagra is too slow for my liking also. This coudl be a good chunking reel though.