Tiagra 16 or Penn 16 VSX?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by sharpshooter, Jun 4, 2009.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Senior Member

I realize the Tiagra is far more popular, but has anyone fished the VSX side by side? i found a good deal on a VSX and wondering how it compares to the Tiagra. plan on loading it with 60# braid. the reel will be an "all around" reel on a a #40-#60 rodl using it on 1 day gulf trips;
    1. trolling for kings, dorado, and wahoo
    2. bottom fishing for snappers and groupers
    3. ajs with live bait
    thanks for the help.

2. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

The 16VSX will hold a LOT of 60-pound braid.
    The line system I normally use on mine is 550 yards of 80-pound Big Game Braid solid, plus a 50-yard topshot of 60-pound Big Game mono.
    With no topshot, it will hold well over 600 yards of 80-pound braid, which probably calculates to close to 700 yards of the 60-pound braid you intend to use.
    Max drag at "Full" without losing free spool is around 35 pounds [28 pounds at strike].
    As a Penn pro-staffer, I have caught many different species of fish with it, using it as a live-bait reel for San Diego long range tuna in the 50 to 150 pound class, or for trolling at Baja resorts for blue marlin up to about 300 pounds, along with striped marlin, dorado, sailfish, tuna, and wahoo.
    Up in Alaska, it handles monster halibut to well over 300 pounds.
    The 16VSX is a versatile reel that can do many different things, I love mine.

Disclaimer- affiliated

3. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

I just bought a Tiagra 16 for this season, but have used the 16VSX and like it quite a bit. Both are excellent reels.

With 80lb Jerry Brown hollow core and the drags these are capable of, there a few fish you can't land.

4. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I own the VSX and have fished both. I would pick the VSX without a second thought. By the way, all of my trolling reels are Tiagras and the VSX is the only Penn reel that I own so I am not playing favorites to one brand.

5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Senior Member

cool! i played w/ them side by side and the vsx feels better to me. i like the open top also. i appreciate the help guys. i order the vsx soon.