Three day jigging journey starts tomorrow

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am leaving this evening for three day jigging trip starting tomorrow.
    1st day(Friday).
    We are going to leave out of Cape May at 1:00 am on Friday for jigging bluefin. The run to Lobster Claw where they catch lots of good size bluefin recently is bout 65 miles from Cape May, NJ.
    There are so many things to test on this trip. I am going to pick up a new Zeebaas XZ27 spinning reel to test for big bluefin in 100 - 150 lbs along with several Jigging Master rods.

second day(Saturday)
    After fishing bluefin out of Cape May, I'll drive down to NC directly as I go grouper jigging to get the dock by 6:00 am on Saturday.
    Gag grouper fishing is fantastic now very closer to the beach. All nice gag groupers are caught within 7 - 9 miles from the dock.
    I have a new new jigs to test for grouper.
    After fishing, I plan to meet other fishermen who I know only through the internet. I am looking forward to meeting them.

third day (Sunday)
    This is strictly for big AJ jigging. I fished the AJ area out of Wrightville a few times and I like to try other areas. These areas I go don't have much fishing pressure and huge AJ upto 120 lbs were caught on jigs this year.
    These monster AJ will provide good opportunities to test my new rods, Zeebass reel as well as several new jigs.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

good luck on your journey ..
    i just got off the phone with the capemay guys..there are still some fish around
    we may try to get a crew for tues wed next week..

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

good luck kil. i wouldve liked to go down to NC again, but wasnt able to unfortunately. you may see a few familiar rods and reel since i sent them to my dad to use :)

im not sure whether gustav will allow me to fish here next weekend.

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

good luck Kil I look foward to your report and pics

5. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

I want ksong's job. :)

BTW new member here. Hi!!!!

6. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Welcome aboard Roland. I guess you can tell Kil loves fishing.

7. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

good luck, looking forward to your report!

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The journey is finally over.
    Here is my report.
    Aug 29
    We left out of Cape May at 1:30 am. After driving 20 miles Capt Mike of the Fast Forward stopped the boat and asked wether we should go to Lobster Claw as he could ran only 15 knot because stiff east wind.
    But I insisted to go as we missed great bites on Wed as we canceled the trip becuase of the east wind and wind was not bad at all.
    When we got there we saw about 30 boats mostly anchored. We didn't mark many fish, but we saw several boats fighing while we were drifting. But they didn't respond to jigs. I had only two hook-up for three hour jigging, but unfortunately I lost both.
    While Mike was sleeping, I drove the boat to two draggers nearby. I couldn't see any tuna mark near the first boat, but there were many marks behind the second boat. I asked Mike to run the boat closer to the behind the draggers. But Mike was very reluctant saying we need permission from the dragger. I was stunned, but I did not insist as I don't want to push him anymore after I urged him to go to Lobster Claw against his will. :) He is such a nice person. He really cares for others and other's business. That is why I like him a lot.

Aug 30

I took a ferry from Cape May, NJ to Delaware around 3:30 PM Friday and arrived NC by midnight. After sleeping a few hours at a motel, I met Capt at 7:30 am on Sat.
    As gag grouper are in shallow water now, we travelled only 10 miles from the inlet and fished in 65 - 90 ft water.
    At the end of trip three of us had about 30 decent size gag grouper along with a few nice red snappers. But I did not contribute at all by catching only 2 keeper gag groupers. :(
    I missed 7 - 8 grouper hit on jigs. It was a tough day for grouper jigging, but I never get tired of grouper fishing as it is so fun like tog fishing.

Aug 31
    I got to know Capt Steve and Pete through the internet and I invited me to go AJ jigging today. I know they have been catch big AJ on jigs upto 128 lbs this year, I aways wanted to go the areas where they fish. It turned out to be a fanstastic day with great guys.
    It was like a Jigging Master field testing trip as everyon use different JM rods and enjoyed with them. :)
    On the first drop of the day, Pete got a nice AJ on a jig which turned out to be close to 100 pounder (61 1/2 inches) !
    I had a 58 inch AJ with 350g JM Power Spell rod at the same spot.
    As we wanted to try many different spots, we moved to another spot.
    The bottom of the spot were thick of AJ and we had hook-ups every time we dropped jigs, but we moved to other spot looking for some groupers as we felt we had enough AJ on jigs. Steve got a nice 21 lbs red grouper on a jig, but that was it. We decided to go the first spot for another 100 pounders and go after African Pompano and hog snappers on jigs later.
    While Steve used my JM 350g rod I switched to JM Terminator 250g rod.
    On the first drop I hooked up a nice 60 lbs AJ on the rod. I thought the light 250g rod is too light for big AJ, but I enjoyed fighting with the light rod tremendously. The rod tip really worked for me.
    I felt I could land even 100 plus AJ with this light rod.
    Then Pete got another monster on my 500g JM Power Spell spinning rod with Satiga Z6000. The 500g JM rod are very stiff and it doesn' bend much for average fish. But I knew he got a monster judging by the bend of the rod. The AJ turned out to be a 63 1/2 incher and it was the last fish on the boat as wind kicke up rapidly. The fish probably in 105 - 110 lbs range as my personal best 105 lbs AJ was 63 inches.
    We gave up fishing African Pompano and hog snapper jigging as weather deteriorated, but it was a fantastic fishing and I found a new friends with whom I am going to fish for long time in the future. :)
    Thanks Pete and Steve for the invite. :)

Steve got a AJ close to 100 lbs ( 61 1/2 inches) on the first drop.
    [​IMG]

Figthing AJ with JM Power Spell 350g. And the catch (58 inches).
    I found JM 300g and 350g is sufficient for AJ jigging in NC even for 100 pounders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Pete's 21 lbs red grouper
    [​IMG]

A nice amoco AJ on JM jig with 500g JM Power Spell rod and Zeebaas ZX27 filled with PE8. Zeebaas performed beautifully and ther was no issue of pregressive drag. Drag worked as soon as I set the hook.
    I feel Amoco AJ fight much stronger than AJ in same size.
    [​IMG]

Steve invented this venting kits. When you pushed belly, you can hear air sound coming out.
    [​IMG]

Steve fighting a nice AJ with my JM Power Spell 350 lbs and JM gimble and the catch. He caught on a funny looking his custom maid jig which cost only one dollar. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marks show how thick AJ are.
    [​IMG]

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Fighting with JM 250g Terminator rod.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete fighting a 63 1/2 inches AJ with 500g JM Power Spell Spinning rod. When you see the 500g rod bend like it, you know it is not average size fish. The fishe swallowed the whole jig. 8*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

so do you like the zeebass reel for jigging now, or still too early in the game to tell.

12. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

love those JM.
    we have been using them for a few years. the 500 bent like that is sweet
    how did the 300 and 350 do for AJ?
    that is what i haveing been using up here

13. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

HOLY SMOKES..........................................

What keeps AJ in the area? I don't see wreck or rock to hold bait?

Thanks
    Kev.

14. gman

gman Senior Member

Kil is was great seeing you and congrats on another great trip, The fish hold on "live bottoms" where all the bait is around drop offs and ledges

15. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

OOOh, I needed to look at right side of split screen. I want to erase my question. But won't. I ask and I learn.

Thanks again.

16. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

good to finally meet you Kil. Great job on catching some bruiser AJs. Hopefully I will see you this saturday at your office/shop :)

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil is was great seeing you and congrats on another great trip, The fish hold on "live bottoms" where all the bait is around drop offs and ledges
    Nice to see you again, Glen. I wish your son was there too.
    It was strange your group lost many jigs due to structures, but we didn't lose single jig to the structures. :eek:

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

good to finally meet you Kil. Great job on catching some bruiser AJs. Hopefully I will see you this saturday at your office/shop :)
    Nice meeting you Brian.
    I go up to Cape Cod for bluefin jigging/popping on Sat.
    Is Sat the only day you can come up this week ? You might wait until Thursday. If Saturday's weather is bad, I'll be at the shop. :)

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

HOLY SMOKES..........................................

What keeps AJ in the area? I don't see wreck or rock to hold bait?

Thanks
    Kev.
    It is because nobody want them in NC. :)
    I don't think any other state has so vast rocky areas than NC has.

20. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Nice meeting you Brian.
    I go up to Cape Cod for bluefin jigging/popping on Sat.
    Is Sat the only day you can come up this week ? You might wait until Thursday. If Saturday's weather is bad, I'll be at the shop. :)

Ok, I will PM you on friday to see if you will be fishing or at your shop on saturday.

Kil...what lb test leader material were you using? And what brand? We should have taken some pics of the leader material....it was getting TRASHED on bottom structure the first day.

The second day... the big guys were just cutting the line clean. Swallowing the jig, clampling down on the leader with a lock jaw and pulling like a freight train the opposite way of our 25-30lbs of drag.... that led to many clean cuts.