Thrasher rod tests...

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by bnz, Jun 23, 2020.

1. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

During to the lockdowns nationwide from covid-19 I saw where Thrasher rods was having a sale (over already low priced blanks) on their blanks and couldn't resist passing it up. I already have their 76H blank but was looking for one for smaller grade fish. The 76H has already landed a 400 lb bluefin up in Cape Cod.

The 76H is rated, according to Thrasher's website:

• Length - 7'6" 1pc
    • Line Rating - 20-100
    • Lure- 80-250g (2.8 - 8.8 oz)

So I decided on trying their Raw86 blank:
    • Length - 7'10" 1pc
    • Line - 30-60
    • Lure - 2-8oz
    But once I got that blank in thought it might be overkill for what I was intending so went lower and bought the Raw85 as well:

• Length - 7'10" 1pc
    • Line - 20-50
    • Lure - 2-7oz
    Just picked up these rods from my builder last night and, of course, had to give them the ol weight test this morning. Note, I would not try these tests on my Souls, Carpenter, or MC Works rods. Here are my results:

76H

25 lb.: [​IMG]

35 lb.: [​IMG]

Raw86

Raw85

Conclusion, not a lot of difference between the 76H and the Raw86. 76H has a little more lifting power (not by much from my subjective feel) but the Raw86 is 6" longer. If I were going after 60-80 lb yft in the GOM I would say the Raw85, or even their Raw84, would be the blanks to go with. For a longer casting rod I really like the feel of these rods, plenty of power and they are not going to strain you as much as other rods I've used in the past. For the price, they really can't be beat.

2. bnz

Here's an altogether pic so hopefully you get a better comparison. Raw85 down to 76H.

[​IMG]

3. Viet_Swag

Viet_Swag Well-Known Member

How do the longer rods throw the lighter side of the weight range? Do they load up or are you just flinging them?

4. bnz

Don’t know, just had the Raw85 and Raw86 built by my builder. I can say my 76H casts as well as my 8’ rods. I’ve thrown a halco max 130 with it no problems. The tips on these rods are softer so definitely not a popping blank.

fillet2release and Viet_Swag like this.
  5. semipro

semipro Senior Member

You mention before you like them
    I have been thinking also,long time:(
    Thank you for your post and pictures,great information