Thoughts on Newell Reels

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by Pacific Fisher, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Pacific Fisher

Pacific Fisher Guest

I have reviewed many of the reel posts and have not seen Newell's mentioned.
    I have had very good service from a Newell 447 for Dorado, small Tuna, and Striped Marlin.
    Any known problems with thees reels should I tangle with Tuna to 100 pounds?
    I like the fast retrieve ratio, lightness, and reasonable price of these reels.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Well - if you look at charkbait, they claim the large newells can do 45#s of drag, and the medium ones can do 35#s. I want to see an illstration of this, because I think it's total BS. I'd also love to see how they
    d hold up under that drag pressure on a fish that could pull that drag and fight for a long time. on fsh to 100#s I think you could do it, but it would be a challenge.

To answer your question, I'm sure you could use it to fight a 100# tuna on it. plus if you already have one, why not try it.

3. TarponDaddy

TarponDaddy Junior member

Well think about it,
    Most reels they use in cali. is Newells.
    Myself own about 10 newells, for as casting wise they are the best so for I also own jigmaster witch I love, I have also converted the gears to 5.1 in them. The 447 will be great for the tuna and the 344 and the 454 will also will do the job. Actully any reel will do the trick as long you fight with the right drag, and try not to hoist it in to fast, thats if you are in for the fight.
    And we do here in Galveston, Texas like to fight the fish. I have caught a bull shark with my 344 and it weighed about 90 lbs. Well I guess thats all I can say about that...
    Live,Love,Die Fishing, But most of all Love you wife.
    TarponDaddy

4. LT1

LT1 Member

400 series Newells have the same drags as the 200 and 300 series. Essentially jigmaster drags. Have to go up to the 500 series for 4/0 drags. Newells have a lot of advantages. Very easy to cast, easy maintenance and very resistant to corrosion. Need to replace the drags with HT 100's in order to get the drag up to acceptable standards. Otherwise, easy to fry. Not sure I would use my Newells for tuna up to 100lbs, but for sure up to 60.

LT

5. getsome

getsome Guest

I live in California and grew up fishing Newell reels. I've caught plenty of tuna ranging up to 125 lbs on Newells and they didn't blow up.
    That being said, I haven't owned a Newell in the last 8 years.
    The day I picked up my first Trinidad, I knew that every one of my Newells was going on ebay.
    Newells are known for their superior casting ability.
    I believe that this is out of date information based on comparisons to the Jigmaster and other reels like it.

Newells do have a lot of problems.
    Here are some that I've experienced.
    - Snapping off the "graphite" handle during a fight.
    - Anti-reverse failure causing knuckle buster.
    - Spool to frame is slightly off causing reel to eat line (especially spectra)
    - Graphite Spool will burst from pressure of packing line too tightly.
    - Screw holes on aluminum parts tend to strip out if not heavily greased.
    - Drags are wasted after one day of heavy fishing (for example 10-20 yellowtail or small tuna in a day)
    - Bearings get REALLY loud and rattley if not properly maintained.

Other than that it's a great reel...

If you're on a budget, get a Torium or Saltist you'll be much happier.

If your not on a budget, go with a Trinidad or Saltiga.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I love my Saltist - so I agree.

I think Newells have many uses, but for big game offshore gear, I don't think that's the place to cut corners. Get an accurate or similar.

7. bunile

bunile Senior Member

Other than that it's a great reel...
    You are one heck of a salesman charlie !!!!!

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Newell reels were very popular before Trinidad/Saltiga era on the East Coast.
    I must owned more than 10 Newell from 200 series to 600 series.
    When I couldn't find right light tuna jigging reels then, I used Newell 600 series and caught tons of tuna incuding a few blueifn over 200 lbs. The strange drag sound gives you uncomfortable feeling, but it is functional. The only time I saw Newell 600 series reel failed was when line was screaming from the reel when my friend had a big tuna, probably over 200 lbs bigeye on a tuna party boat.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

wow you got some over 200?!? looks like i underestimated newells.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

wow you got some over 200?!? looks like i underestimated newells.
    I dont' know how small Newell reels perform for tuna, as I used only 600 series reels for tuna jigging.

Did you get my message of Saragosa reel ?
    I am holding one for you. If you don't need it, I am going to return it.

11. bunile

bunile Senior Member

They are just right for KAMIKAZEE tuna's and making a nice video when they fall apart at the last minute!!!! Bill has one in the movie and so does that other guy, inside sportfishing. I laugh at them everytime, now, not then.

12. getsome

getsome Guest

A friend of mine that used to work on the Red Rooster III caught a 200 lb yellowfin on a Newell 533. He broke 3 handles during the fight and due to running out of available handles, he resorted to using a pair of vice-grips on the broken handle knob during the last few minutes of the fight.
    See, they do work for big fish...

13. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Well, here's my .02.
    I had a penn 501 that I wanted to beef up for big yellowtail
    (this was the '80s) My Dad was Mgr of Turners in Tustin at the time.
    He Had The "trick stuff" & hooked me up w/ a Newell narrow-spool/frame conversion. also put some wierd drag washers in it, like fiberglass mat, not CF
    Made 21# smooth @ lockdown, and killed yellows up to 22# forever, no problems. took care of it, though.
    Now it has Accu-plates & brg's, CF drags, Smoothie plates, Accurate pwr handle, & Newell ss 5:1 gearing.
    guess what? it makes 24# @ lockdown, has only 5 orig. Penn parts left, and
    still needs a 12 tooth anti-reverse sprag, which nobody makes, only to bring it to the level of an Avet JX. total spent over the years? well over $400
    Every reel has it's limit, & technology has advanced past Newell's product.
    they were, and still are, a caster's dream. but there's better, for the same $$
    nowadays
    I Know I'm gettin Flamed by the Cali-boys for this......
    -B

14. getsome

getsome Guest

I Know I'm gettin Flamed by the Cali-boys for this......
    -B

Don't worry, most of us "Cali-boys" gave up on Newells a long time ago.
    At least those of us that fish seriously.

There, now they can flame me...