Those who have used stella SW long and hard enough

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tmd, Jul 18, 2009.

1. tmd

tmd Large Member

what do you think so far? is it still as smooth as out of box? is it holding up better than the FA? any thoughts on performance and durablity from the hardcore users are much welcome

thank you

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

ive never owned an FA but my sw is still smooth after 5+ trips. i spray down my reel and back the drag off after every outting and its still smooth.

3. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

All of my newer Stellas are working perfectly!! I clean them after every trip and they are perfect!:)

4. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

They are good to go, I havent even oiled mine yet.

5. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

Do you guy clean it up with warm water or corrosion X after each use? Would you guys recommend the 10ksw or 18ksw for tuna in the gulf of Mexico. Thank you!

6. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

They start making a lil noise after a while, but still smooth. I only rinse mine off with fresh water after each trip. In fact I don't even know where the oil is supposed to go. :confused:

Every once in a while when I don't go for a week or two I spray some Penn corrosion inhibitor on it and wipe it off.

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Do you guy clean it up with warm water or corrosion X after each use? Would you guys recommend the 10ksw or 18ksw for tuna in the gulf of Mexico. Thank you!
    either is fine, just depends if you want to pop with a heavier reel all night. i didnt realize that a few ounces could make such a difference until i used a twinspin 30 all night then grabbed a saltiga setup and was relieved!

8. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

My 10k pg made an inadvertant trip overboard when I fished Fourchon. Threw it in the shower when I got back. Next trip, it's still working perfectly. No indication that it was ever dunked.

Fred

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

mine is smooth.
    a bit of more noise in the handle knob bearings but no affected performance throughout.

I didnt even oil is in the service port yet.
    I've soft sprayed it after each trip with freshwater and wiped down with simple green soap mix and then rinsed with water again.

I remember to tighten down the drag before soaping and spraying. After dried, I take the spool cap and spool off and wipe down the crystalized salt if any is attached to the inside of the spool.

Still lookin' great!

10. e-sea-e

e-sea-e Junior member

after about 10 fish each, both my 18000's are fine and have worked perfectly. I havent done anything but wash them thouroughly after each use. they will get some oil soon, though.

but man, those spools get HOT when a tuna takes line at 20lbs or more of drag.

11. e-sea-e

e-sea-e Junior member

the 10K is a bit small, its really basicaly the equivalent of the old 8000FA. I'd just go with the 18000 as it will handle bigger fish and smaller fish.

12. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

after about 10 fish each, both my 18000's are fine and have worked perfectly. I havent done anything but wash them thouroughly after each use. they will get some oil soon, though.

but man, those spools get HOT when a tuna takes line at 20lbs or more of drag.

You think the spools get hot, take a guess how hot the drag washers get. That's why I'm fishing Stellas now. They have a drag system that can take the heat.

13. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

I try to break my Stellas but have been very unsuccessful , Black Marlins , YFTs , AJs , Cuberas , Grouper , paired it with OTI rods , I never go fishing without them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tmd

tmd Large Member

WOOOOW!! was that gigantic marlin caught on a stella? can you use spinning reels to catch some thing this size?

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah man. stella 20k SW and OTI jigging rod. give it a try, you'll be surprised how strong they are :D

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Get HG for popping and PG for jigging.
    You can jig with HG but jigging with PG is more practical.