This is a lonely place

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by Rainbowrunner, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

Geez,

I can't believe it's been months since the last post on this board.

Oh well, 360 Tuna - what do you expect. Anyway, spawn's over from what I can tell here on Lake Conroe. Fish are being caught on 15 -20 foot brushpiles now with best success on bass assasin jigs.

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Not many crappie fishermen on this 360 forum. Mainly offshore guys. To be honest, I haven't fresh water fished in over twenty five years.

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

MrBill, I was thinking you need to take your Torsa and go and catch some crappie. Deep jigging.

4. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

No place is lonely if you choke your chicken

5. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

how ironic. as i played golf yesterday there was about 10 guys and kids fishing the ponds on the course. they were catching spawning black bass. all i could think about is what nice offshore baits those size bass would make....lol....i have almost as much freshwater gear as offshore but all it has done for the last 10 years is gather dust. i much prefer the thrill of catching something that thinks it is catching me.....rick

6. Just to add some activity to the crappie forum... My buddy went out(I live in Alabama) yesterday afternoon and slayed them! We fried them last night and man were they good!

7. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

i'd rather eat 'white perch' ahead o'anything coming outta saltwater

('cept lobster)

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Bill Fisher

There is something wrong with you. Snook, grouper, dolphin and trigger are hands down better table fare IMHO.

9. Rainbowrunner

Hi Rick, It's been a while since we've talked. I've been keeping David and Ron out of trouble. Also got to visit with Brenda a while when her mother came down from Fla. Those guys just about hung it up when the Big-E rates went through the roof. Lot's of Tiagras and Stellas gathering dust. I tried to talk them into a trip to Venice about the same time you and Gres were there, but they wouldn't go for it.

Golfing huh - good to see you have other addictions. McGolfer (duh on my part).

how ironic. as i played golf yesterday there was about 10 guys and kids fishing the ponds on the course. they were catching spawning black bass. all i could think about is what nice offshore baits those size bass would make....lol....i have almost as much freshwater gear as offshore but all it has done for the last 10 years is gather dust. i much prefer the thrill of catching something that thinks it is catching me.....rick

10. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I will be heading to Sam Rayburn to do some crappie fishing the first of May and June! I love catching some big ol' Sac-au-lait on ultra like tackle.

11. Rainbowrunner

See, I figured I could stir something up. Grouper fingers maybe close second to "white perch". None of the others in the same class!

Dale

Bill Fisher

There is something wrong with you. Snook, grouper, dolphin and trigger are hands down better table fare IMHO.

12. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I hope all of you heartless crappie murderers have fun at the expense of my kinfolk.

13. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

You mean you don't like grilled Mahi Mahi?

14. Rainbowrunner

I love grilled Mahi. Hell, I can't think of many fish I don't like except for Jack Crevalle maybe - I've never tried hardhead.

Dale

You mean you don't like grilled Mahi Mahi?

15. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

And you think crappie are better? I don't see it.

16. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

Bill Fisher

There is something wrong with you.

i'm pregnant

:D

17. Rainbowrunner

Okay, this may be risky but I'll try to splain, Lucy

Chevy/Ford
    Golf/Football
    Shimano/Accurate
    Brunette/Blonde
    Scotch/Rye
    Palin/Obama
    Ribeye/NYStrip
    Crappie/Mahi for eating - not catching

Most of my preferences line up with the left side.

Dale

And you think crappie are better? I don't see it.

18. Rainbowrunner

Well, it's still lonely, but the crappie are still here (Lake Conroe). Caught about 15 pretty good ones last week on deep water brush piles. Caught some really good bream too. "Freshwater grouper - too bad they don't grow to 20 -30 lbs.

dale

19. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

What do you folks use for baits for crappie and perch? I'm heading up to Ohio next week and will have a chance to fish Lake Erie. I don't think my Stella 18000SW with 80# braid will be the trick, but I've got a little rod and spinner for 1/4-3/4 oz lures. I haven't fished fresh water since I was 8 y.o.... 52 years ago. My guess is things have changed since then.... Bring me up to speed! many thanks. butch