There goes my deer season!!!

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

:mad: Some people are just plain stupid.... My lease is just south of Carbon off of hwy 6 in Eastland county..

Possible Deer Poisoning in Eastland County
    Tuesday, 03 November 2009 16:29 | Author: Press Release |
    Outdoors

The Texas Agriculture Extension Office in Austin is advising all area health care providers of a poisoning in Eastland County 2 weeks ago.

A ranch south of Carbon tried to kill wild hogs by mixing deer corn with a pesticide called Temik, which is a Neuro-Toxin. The rancher spread a very large amount of mixed corn on their 2000 acre peanut crop to kill wild hogs, and it turns out that deer where feeding on the same ranch.

With the opening of deer season this weekend, authorities are asking hunters not to eat ANY venison meat harvested in south Eastland County until further notice. Any deer appearing sick or stumbling should be avoided. Though ingested levels would have to be high in a deer, ducks, and hogs to seriously affect humans, authorities note it is very toxic and possibly fatal.

State and federal investigations are in progress. Further questions and concerns can be directed to Michael Hare with the Austin Ag Ext. Office 512-475-3305.

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

bret
    take all the bucks you saved from not hunting and let's go to panama.....rick

3. HWK

HWK Senior Member

What a dumb ass, that was a well thought out plan ......

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

bret
    take all the bucks you saved from not hunting and let's go to panama.....rick
    Thats a great Idea Rick!!! let me try and slide that one by Betsi... :D
    She and Jade will be going to panama, the next time... When are you going back??

5. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

What a dumb ass, that was a well thought out plan ......

No kidding. I understand needing to protect your ability to provide for and feed your family (his peanut crop) from hogs, but there other illegal methods of poisoning hogs :D that will not carry the poison down the food chain to the extent this apparently is.

6. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Sorry to hear that brother. I seem to have a coyote across the street from my house that needs a killin. i went after him last night but he ran.

7. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

something was not right with that peanut farmer;
    lead is the deadliest form of hog poison and can be applied
    selectively.... as little as 120 grain will do the job

I won't be eating any hogs from Eastland :(

sorry about your season

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

yeah, some people just dont have any sense. I am pretty sure that the feds will get involved at somepoint.. esp, if any doves, ducks or geese have ingested any of the poison. Hell, the guy could have set up some blinds and sold hunts instead of ruining the entire hunting season for southern eastland county. I am pretty pissed.. I will still go out there and kill some dogs and enjoy the outdoors.. but will have to go elsewhere to fill my freezer. I am fortunate to have friends that will allow me to take some meat from their places..

9. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

Hey, Bret:

My lease is about 45 miles north of yours, and I sincerely hate to hear about this idiotic idea. Not only should the rancher face criminal charges, I'll bet you could get a class action suit against him involving all of the other hunters in the area who were damaged by that guy. But, enough of the legal stuff because since he's a rancher, he probably lives hand-to-mouth anyway.

10. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

bret, you can come get some does on my place in uvalde, if you choose

11. Bret

Bret Senior Member

bret, you can come get some does on my place in uvalde, if you choose

Jason, that is very Kind of you!! I talked to the ag extension agent in the area and said that my place was out of their area of concern for the poison.. So I might be able to fill the freezer afterall.. I am going to call the game warden to be sure.. nevertheless, I will be setting my feeder back up at my place in blanco for backup, next weekend........ while yall are killing tuna on the Big E. ....

12. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

i have one spot left, you could be on the big E, waiting out Ida and the poison!

13. hiyopi

hiyopi Junior member

14. Bret

Bret Senior Member

This website has an article on the deer poisoning.

2009 | Deer Management at Buck Manager
    thanks for posting that.. I finally got the ranch in question, pinpointed.. and they are at least 12 miles across mostly open farm land from my lease.. So we are in the good.. It is stil a crappy situation for several hunters in that area. the tainted corn is still in the peanut field as we speak.. They said that he did kill some hogs, but only one deer has been killed, that they know of. It is fortunate that the acorns have just fallen and we have received about 5 inches of rain as of late.. The deer havent been hitting the corn much in the past few weeks, so maybe there wont be too many more deer killed by the poison. but who knows how many coons, squirrels, dove... etc have died.

15. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Well, how was the opener?

16. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Dang Bret,

I just checked the forumn, haven't been on in awhile.

I work with someone that owns 150 acres right south of Cisco off of 206.

Like you said, I believe you are fine. The fields that farmer has that are in the cisco/carbon area were only suspected of being poisoned. AFAIK it was never confirmed. The confirmed field was over off of 183.

I really can't believe the fool did it. Last I heard they were still not cooperating with authorities.

I'm not seeing much at my place up north of Loving. Lots of deer but they are doe and young bucks - nothing outside of the AR's yet. Not much hitting the corn either. No signs of the Rut on my place, does are still being left alone and the young guys are still together. We have ended the life of a couple of hogs though.

Earl