The Second Jigging Trip to NC

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kil, what kind of Jigs are these? Sanme? 650g?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Yes, it is Sanme, but not original. :)
    This snowy grouper was caught on a OTI jig.

[​IMG]

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

very nice fish, Kil

Are you going to eat the grouper sashimi soon? How big was the largest AJ?

5. JerseyBrian

Yes, it is Sanme, but not original. :)
    This snowy grouper was caught on a OTI jig
    How heavy was the Sanme jig? What weight jig do you usually use when grouper jigging at ~850ft? Nice to know the OTI jigs are producing! ;)

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Nice jigging Kil, Young looks like happy camper!

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

How heavy was the Sanme jig? What weight jig do you usually use when grouper jigging at ~850ft? Nice to know the OTI jigs are producing! ;)
    I think it is 24 oz. We had very strong current with the same direction of wind. We drifted 5 knot. :eek: We didn't bring any heavy jigs over 500 g except a couple of Sanme jigs. It was very hard to feel the bottom with 400 - 500 g. I suggested Capt to do power drift as we do here for fluke or striped bass. We usually use 2 - 3 oz bucktails to hold bottom with power drift even we fish deep and the current is strong. After Capt did power drift, we could hold bottom with 450 g jig.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice report again!

9. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Great report Kil!

Are you willing to share where those non-original sanme jigs came from ;) ??

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Great report Kil!

Are you willing to share where those non-original sanme jigs came from ;) ??

They are no longer available. It was one run. All gone. They were made in 400gm and 800gm. I bought around 20 of them. I wish I would have bought more as I think they might become a collectors item after finding out they were selling for three times the original price on ebay a month ago.. I'm putting all of mine away in storage tonight.:)

11. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

:D Nice Job Kil! Those are some impressive fish. What rods/reels were you using aside from the OTI Custom? How long does it take to reel a grouper u from 850ft?

congratulations on a successful trip!

12. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

21 min 15 sec calculated.
    3 seconds to turn handle with big fish and jig on. =
    20 rpm reel cranking speed average X
    24" retrieve rate of line average { empty spool>full spool} = K
    850\K=21.25.

Quite a feat I'd say.

Groupers are the coolest...Congratulations.

K2

13. JerseyBrian

I think it is 24 oz. We had very strong current with the same direction of wind. We drifted 5 knot. :eek: We didn't bring any heavy jigs over 500 g except a couple of Sanme jigs. It was very hard to feel the bottom with 400 - 500 g. I suggested Capt to do power drift as we do here for fluke or striped bass. We usually use 2 - 3 oz bucktails to hold bottom with power drift even we fish deep and the current is strong. After Capt did power drift, we could hold bottom with 450 g jig.
    Wow, that is a super strong current and a rediculuous jig weight! :eek: :D

scampi
    [​IMG]

I see that you're using a Tuna Max fighting belt. Now that you've tried both, which feels better to you? The Tuna Max or the Alutecnos? And if you don't mind my asking, what is your waist size? :)

and btw, nice catch on the good ol' hammered diamond jig!

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Congratulations on a fine catch Kil.

15. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Kil, very nice pictures, how did you like Capt Mike.

Did you fish in the same area as we fished with Capt Rich.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, very nice pictures, how did you like Capt Mike.

Did you fish in the same area as we fished with Capt Rich.
    I like Capt Mike as much as I like Capt. Rick. They fished same areas.
    It seems they work together. When we caught a nice African Pomano, he called Rick. He has a 31' contender with twin 300 hp Yamaha.
    Considering they have to run 76 miles and fish 14 hours, $1000 including gas is very reasonable. Think about charter rates out of Venice, LA. :)

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

:D Nice Job Kil! Those are some impressive fish. What rods/reels were you using aside from the OTI Custom? How long does it take to reel a grouper u from 850ft?

congratulations on a successful trip!
    For grouper I used 7' custom St Croix rod and used 500g Tuna Max for spinner. Chris and Yong both used 4'8" Hot Wei World for AJ and they used 8' custom jigging rods for grouper.
    I took long time to reel in from 850'with/without grouper. :)

18. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Kil,
    Glad you guys had a good trip despite the conditions. If you keep coming back then maybe we can go fishing sometime!

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,
    Glad you guys had a good trip despite the conditions. If you keep coming back then maybe we can go fishing sometime!
    I hope I go back soon, but I don't know when I go back again as I have so many fishing trips scheduled from May 1st. I'll go down to Morehead City, NC on Thursday or Friday if weather holds as I promised Capt Ken to fish with him.
    I'll concentrate on grouper jigging more than AJ jigging with Ken.